Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian M44 carbine

Feedback Score

Russian M44 carbine

Picked this up at the local Big 5 sporting goods store (one of their $99 specials). Has a 1944 manufacture date and was refurbed after the war, when the laminated stock was possibly added.

What do they say about Mosin-Nagants - they need cleaning once every war?

Feedback Score

Thumbs up M-44 Joy...

I'll start by stating that I have walked past more milsurp bolt guns than I can count through the years. I never had much use for them - it was black rifles for me. Even bolt guns in general never really appealed to me on any level.

Then one day last winter, I was at a small local dealer out here in The Berkshires, (Pat's) and he had a wall full of M-44's that he'd gotten in. One in particular was purchased by a guy and returned the next day after he spent hours cleaning it and de-cosmoing the entire rifle - decided it wasn't his thing. Being a guy who likes a shortcut every now and then - I bought that one, (a Tula). It was $75.00, ($99.00 is a bit steep, but still good). I figured: "What the heck - it looks neat and it's under a hundred clams - sold". I bought 100-rounds of ammo for it and went to the range and had an absolute ball. These things are more fun than a barrel of monkeys, (if those are even fun)....

This thing is an absolute beast. I read threads reporting 9" high at 100-yards, or unable to get on the paper at all. This rifle is snot on - especially with the bayonet out. I like it so much, that I'm in on a group buy for a 91/30. We're buying 3 crates at $63.60 cents per rifle! I just filled out my C&R paperwork today, so I can get stuff like this shipped to my door. If you have not seen a 91/30, they are something to behold. With the bayonet attached, it's literally a pike when the ammo runs out...

I did get a corrosive ammo lesson today when I checked my safe...I didn't do a good job cleaning it after my last range trip and I'm paying the piper - it's soaking in CLP right now. For the short money, it's hard to beat those little M-44 boomsticks - enjoy yours!

Feedback Score
    The above M44 is a laminate. Seems they always (locally, at least) charge a bit more for those. The regular birch-stocked examples are around $89 or so.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I don't think you got a bad deal at all - there's just some dealers who sell at a lower mark-up. I like the standard stock, but have seen some really pretty laminates, (yours being one) and the laminate stocks are apparently tougher. I can't wait to get both the 91/30 and my C&R. Will be nice to find a rifle like the M-44 or a Mauser, Yugo SKS, M1 Carbine etc and say: "Yeah, I want that" and have it arrive at my door...I never thought I would be a Milsurp guy until I picked up that darned $75.00 rifle...

PS: have you shot it yet?

Feedback Score
    Nope, might be a while before I get to the range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Nope, might be a while before I get to the range.
    If you like big booms - you'll love it... [wink]

Feedback Score
    MassMark, use a bore cleaner that is made for corrosive ammo like the military stuff from WWII if you can find it or cleaner for black powder. The deal is the corrosive salts need to be neutralized. Soap and water will work to. Have fun!!!!!
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    Just run a couple of windex soaked patches down the barrel then clean normaly.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tips - I'm a Windex guy, but obviously failed to do it after my last range session and paid the price. Live and learn. Just scrubbed my overnight BreakFree soak off and it looks great. Going to run a box of ammo through it this afternoon - nothing says I'm sorry to your mistreated gun better than some lunch...

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

I bought in when they were on sale for $50 at the Big 5 - back in '00
    I picked up a pristine Romanian M44 with matching numbers, and a M91/30 made in Russia in 1933 - they are awesome!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast