Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CMMG Announces New 308 AR Lowers using G3 mags

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    I am deeply skeptical re: the reliability of this combo as a weapon system.

Time will tell, I suppose.
    I am as well - but that's just me - and you too I suppose....

I was intrigued when Bushmaster released their version which used FAL mags and it looks like it was not a successful bird. I as well would have liked to have seen an M-14 mag version, (unmodified M-14 mags). I can understand the draw to the uber-surplused G3 mags I guess.....

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    If memory serves on AR10 issues, using unmodified M14 mags is possible, but they'd rock in, need some kind of special bolt stop, and would probably need the same release as the M14 (paddle). Arguably this would cause ergonomics issues, but so would using an M14, AK or G3.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    What does the mysterious "with minor modification to upper receiver" mean?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Having fired the G3 numerous times in Germany during partnership training I can't be overly excited about this. Mags can be good, but you would really need to check them out, and as mentioned no last round hold open. Personally I am in the opinion that though these mags are cheap, they fall into the disposable AR mag category.

Now if Magpul were to partner up and make some G3 mags that may make a significant difference. As long as people could overcome the no bolt hold open situation.

Feedback Score
    On paper I love it. Do I $500 dollar love it with upper modifications?

No.

You can get a full DPMS Sportical for $810 from RGuns http://www.rguns.net/009_100.html

Pick how many "cheap" mags you want, build the rifle, then compare with any DPMS/Armalite build you can think of for the same price.

So now we have what, 3.5 AR10 style guns on the market?

Standardize some more parts for the platform and then maybe we'll talk. If I really need a .308 autoloader now, the Saiga is looking pretty good. In the mean time I'll wait to see what the ACR, XCR, and SCAR-H have for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Narph View Post
    On paper I love it. Do I $500 dollar love it with upper modifications?

No.
    That's kinda what I was thinking...
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."- John Stuart Mill English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123