Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elk gun

Feedback Score
    You've received some good information to deal with. I will make a suggestion you consider the 7mm sized bullets. I especially like the 280 Remington or 7mm wsm. These can be made into relative light rifles 6 or less and with a scope and rings 7# or so. Ammunition is relative inexpensive, and recoil will be much lighter than with a 30 cal. rifle. The last thing you want is a rifle your are afraid to shoot because of recoil. Unless you have fired a 300 Win Mag. a larger number of times it is not the rifle you want to take on a high dollar Elk hunt with the hopes you can shoot an animal at 400+ yards. IMO 308 is a very poor round for a long shot at an Elk unless you are very familiar with that trajectory. The 280/7mm wsm are flat shooting with relative mild recoil. The bullets perform very well and there are a lot of bullet weight choices for 7mm. It is a rifle caliber you can take elk, moose or deer hunting, is not over kill for smaller animals and works well for elk sized critters as well. The Tikka rifle is a winner by the way. Tikka is made by Sako which makes great rifles.

Feedback Score
    I have a 1960's-era Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 that I picked up in 2008 for a mere (steal?) $150. Lightweight, accurate, and consistent. I love this gun for hunting, and it has taken a few elk in Montana, Wyoming, and New Mexico.

I load 180-grain Barnes TTSX and it has always been enough bullet for an ethical kill. As you know, shot placement is paramount regardless of caliber.

With that said ... I hunt with buddies who use 7mm REM MAG ... also a fine caliber, as discussed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3958 View Post
    I am going on an elk hunt in CO in October of 2016.

I am in need of a bolt gun for this and any future trips. There will be many miles of trekking through mountains at high elevation. I am concerned about weight. Also, there is a good chance this rifle will take a beating. It needs to be durable. I will not be shooting strings of 50 rounds, so recoil is not an issue.

Those things being considered, I am seriously looking at the Ruger American Predator, in .308. Optic will most likely be a Leupold of some sort in 3x9. Price is preferred to be less than $1000 total. I'm somewhat flexible with that.

Why I like the Ruger on paper: It's light for a bolt gun. Threaded barrel (strong possibility of a can going on it in the future). I've heard good things through the grapevine about the American action, however have zero trigger time on it.

My question to you, brain trust of M4C, is what are the opinions of this rifle? A search revealed one thread where weight was not an issue. If there is another rifle that fits the bill, a la Rem700 AAC, I am completely open to ideas. The AAC is quite heavy from memory though.

This is my first bolt gun, and will not see any duty use besides dropping delicious 4 legged critters.
    OP:

I've killed elk with the .375 H&H Magnum, 9.3x57, 7x57 and 6.5x55.

The .308 will do, but I'd probably ask your guide in CO what he recommends. Here in Idaho the .30-06 is probably the most common elk caliber followed by maybe the .270 and .300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag. All are fine. Colorado conditions in various areas are somewhat different than many areas here in North Idaho.

I have no experience with Ruger American rifles. We have quite a number of M77's and frankly I don't think you can find a better hunting rifle than a M77MKII or Hawkeye but if the thing feeds and functions correctly, and shoots 5 shot groups at 100 yard into 1.75 inches or so from the bench, you are golden.

I would, however, spend quite a bit of time shooting from field positions. From what I know from those I know, CO elk shooting is often easy, but don't count on it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    Two things to consider.
    If you are spending this much time and money for an elk hunt. Is $1000 budget gun going to be what you want for a once in lifetime shot? If you are doing public lands with a lottery for a tag, even more so of a once in a lifetime chance.
    Of the 8 people I know that have hunted elk in Colorado, 7 of their shots were over 400 yards. I think .308 is on the smaller side of choices for caliber out there. Most carry .300 win mag, 7mm mag/ultra mag, etc for the longer range shots.
    You don't have to spend 10k, or even close to that. The American predator should be a fine platform.
    Last edited by J-Dub; 03-15-16 at 17:15.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    You've received some good information to deal with. I will make a suggestion you consider the 7mm sized bullets. I especially like the 280 Remington or 7mm wsm. These can be made into relative light rifles 6 or less and with a scope and rings 7# or so. Ammunition is relative inexpensive, and recoil will be much lighter than with a 30 cal. rifle. The last thing you want is a rifle your are afraid to shoot because of recoil. Unless you have fired a 300 Win Mag. a larger number of times it is not the rifle you want to take on a high dollar Elk hunt with the hopes you can shoot an animal at 400+ yards. IMO 308 is a very poor round for a long shot at an Elk unless you are very familiar with that trajectory. The 280/7mm wsm are flat shooting with relative mild recoil. The bullets perform very well and there are a lot of bullet weight choices for 7mm. It is a rifle caliber you can take elk, moose or deer hunting, is not over kill for smaller animals and works well for elk sized critters as well. The Tikka rifle is a winner by the way. Tikka is made by Sako which makes great rifles.
    .280 AI

.280 Ackley Improved
    Last edited by titsonritz; 03-15-16 at 17:29.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    You don't have to spend 10k, or even close to that. The American predator should be a fine platform.
    Where did I say 10k???

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    With the possibility of 300 yard + shots and as tough as Elk are I'm shooting a 300 Win Mag. There are a great number of bullets to choose from and I would stick with a bonded bullet at least 165 gr or heavier. When I'm in Alberta I'm shooting a 165gr Trophy Copper round and it has functioned perfectly for me. I've use the 180gr Trophy Copper when elk hunting. Surprisingly both rounds are very accurate out of my rifle. I had a Rem 700 re-barreled with a Lilja Match Grade barrel and then bedded into a HS Precision stock and replaced the stock trigger with a Jewel trigger. The rifle is a bit heavy but that helps to mitigate some of the recoil. On anything larger than deer this is my go to rifle.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I would have to echo the 300 win mag statements. If you plan to take an elk, this is the round I personally choose, without a doubt. I have a hard time using a 7mm mag as my "primary" elk rifle, but I do have it as my backup I bring to camp. 30-06 could get you by in a pinch. Any serious elk hunter, at least the ones I know, run 300 win mags, 300 weatherby's, 300 ultra's, or 30-378's. From my experience, 180gr+ in the .30 caliber will do the trick on whatever elk comes across your path. I wouldn't run less. Just from my experience in the CO high country.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great info below, spot on.

I guided six seasons in CO and saw elk taken with many different calibers. The key was hunters that knew their rifle and were in good shape. Shoot a lot and hike a lot to prepare. Also buy a quality sling and hike with your rifle if there is a local place you can do so. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    As a very experienced big game hunter, here's my recommendations:
    1. The rifle is less relevant than the time you spend shooting behind it.
    2. Shoot as much as you can afford before the hunt, shoot after pushups etc...to simulate the stress, shoot in hasty positions, shoot at last light.
    3. Use premium designed hunting bullets, everyone has there favorite, buy a box of each and watch for the ones that group the best in your rifle.
    4. Caliber is so much less relevant than shot placement. The general idea is shoot the biggest caliber you shoot very well. Very well is the key.
    5. 308 or 30-06 will work sub 250 yds; but Elk are not deer and much tougher. If this will be a frequent repeated hunt consider moving up in caliber.
    6. Light rifles carry better and kick harder - everything's a trade off. I prefer a softer shooting heavier weight rifle for big game hunting Elk size+.
    7. Good glass on top of your rifle is very important as are binos. Buy the best you can afford.

Enjoy the hunt - you will have a great experience!

Feedback Score
    A 30 of some variety is usually the recommendation, with good reason. '06, 300WM, 300WBY, so on and so forth.

7s are usually in second place. Third goes to the 270, 338, etc.

I favor my 300 H&H. I can't recommend it due to ammo constraints and the fact that finding one ain't easy. I had mine built.

I would recommend a 30. The 30-06 is plenty good. The 300WM is the '06 plus 100-150 yards.

So long as you can run it, you'll be fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123