Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk gun

Feedback Score
    I can borrow my dad's Rem700 in 30-06 for this hunt. I'm sure it would do great. Only problem is he's built it into a 45lb hog for bench shooting.

I'm looking at that Tikka T3. It seems like a pretty handy rifle. Do they make a threaded barrel model? Couldn't find one on their website.

Feedback Score
    My Texas friends and family members that go elk hunting in CO and NM all use 700 Remingtons in either 7 Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag.

Around here, a 7 Rem Mag or 300WM bolt gun is a VERY common find in gun shop used racks. Most are 700 Remingtons, Mod 70 Winchesters or Weatherby Vanguards. Most are also priced at 500 dollars or less.

I'd start there. The 308 and 30-06 are a tad light unless you get really close.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post

I'd start there. The 308 and 30-06 are a tad light unless you get really close.
    I don't know what you mean be "really close" but I disagree. The 30-06 is more than capable for anything in North America. And I know plenty of people that have killed moose with a 308, using the 165gr SSTs mentioned above. Shot placement is key and honestly, you get out to ranges 400+ and its not that the bullet won't do its job but many people can't make the shot.

Factory threaded barrels in a hunting rifle are hard to come by. Hopefully with suppressors becoming a lot more popular other companies will jump on the bus and start marking them but for now, I would still go Ruger American. Unless you don't mind paying to have a barrel threaded, then I would probably go with a tikka t3.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Moose and Elk are very different animals. Moose have thin hides and drop pretty darn easy given their size. Elk are incredibly tough beasts, and the shoulder can stop a pretty serious slug. The skin alone is nuts, and I've seen many 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag bullets stopped by the hide on the far side. I prefer exit wounds when hunting, especially in thick terrain.

A good shot with a .308 or .30-06 with a 165gr+ bonded or partition bullet is totally adequate within about 200yd. But with 7mm RM, 300WM, and the WSMs available... Why not step it up and buy yourself some margin and added range, if elk are a primary goal?

Feedback Score
    I Appreciate the feedback so far. The Tikka option seems pretty nice. More research needs to be done on that rifle. I'd really like to shoot a similarly equipped T3 and predator together.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    FYI, I haven't shot a Predator, but I have mounted a scope and developed a handload on a T3 and a normal Ruger American. The Tikka has better fit and finish, and is a little sexier. The Ruger borrows a lot of tricks from Savage, which isn't a bad thing, but doesn't feel quite as solid and slick. Both shot more than adequately for most hunting use, and as good as the Savages I usually use.

I don't know of a T3 with a threaded barrel, and that would totally sway me.

Feedback Score
    The following comments are based on my observations, not gospel, not scientific just personal observations so take them for what you want. I have shot 32 elk in the last 32 years, helped an outfitter friend 20 of those years and saw his hunters take at least another 150. I have shot elk with a .284 win, 7mm rem mag, .338 win mag and .340 weatherby. The last 22 have all been with the .340 and 225 grain nosler partitions. I have seen hunters use everything from 25-06 to .375. I have never had an elk shot with the .340 that took more than 10 steps. I have spent days and miles tracking elk shot by my outfitters hunters, mostly with .270 and 30-06's. Good bullet choices would have helped both of those have better outcomes. I like partitions, Barnes x's seem to work well, probably most of the new bonded stuff would work.

200 yards is close for where I hunt, average shot over the years is 300 plus or minus 50. A lot more opportunities at 400 than 200. Be a good hunter and know when to walk away from the shot. I feel a .308 would be at its max at 200 yards. I am sure lots get killed farther than that, but I hate finding dead elk people couldn't find because they shot too far with too little gun.

Probably the most popular with good hunters I know is a .300 magnum, winchester, weatherby, wsm or H&H, in that order. Good bullets, preferably 180 grains, maybe 165 with Barnes and respect your limitations and the limits of your caliber choice.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Thank you. This is the kind of information I've been looking for.

Never hunted elk before. I'm going in a party of three. The other two guy have been a few (3 times each) before. It'll be a non guided hunt on public ground. This will be as much a learning experience as a hunt.

I have a decent background hunting deer in the midwest. 5.56 works very well for deer where I hunt. Elk is a totally different animal. Pun intended. I just want to be an ethical and hopefully successful hunter.

I have much learning to do before october.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    As a very experienced big game hunter, here's my recommendations:
    1. The rifle is less relevant than the time you spend shooting behind it.
    2. Shoot as much as you can afford before the hunt, shoot after pushups etc...to simulate the stress, shoot in hasty positions, shoot at last light.
    3. Use premium designed hunting bullets, everyone has there favorite, buy a box of each and watch for the ones that group the best in your rifle.
    4. Caliber is so much less relevant than shot placement. The general idea is shoot the biggest caliber you shoot very well. Very well is the key.
    5. 308 or 30-06 will work sub 250 yds; but Elk are not deer and much tougher. If this will be a frequent repeated hunt consider moving up in caliber.
    6. Light rifles carry better and kick harder - everything's a trade off. I prefer a softer shooting heavier weight rifle for big game hunting Elk size+.
    7. Good glass on top of your rifle is very important as are binos. Buy the best you can afford.

Enjoy the hunt - you will have a great experience!
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast