Thread: Sig P227 - Anyone liking it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Sig P227 - Anyone liking it?

I ordered one on Black Friday and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Bought the ESE model. Was in the market for a double stack .45ACP and this one caught my eye. The short reset trigger is awesome although I can't say much for the skinny trigger it comes with. Just a tad too short trigger pull for me so going to put an original Sig fatty in at some point. Just curious if anyone else has one and what you think of it.

James

Feedback Score
    The Sig P227 is my department issued handgun. There is a lot I like about the gun and very little I don't like.

Pro's:
    Feel - the E2 grips are very well textured. I also enjoy the fatter grips, say what you will, but the wider the grip, the more surface area on your hand the recoil is absorbed. In comparison the the thinner P220, recoil is more comfortable with the P227.
    Undercut trigger guard and front checkering. Contrary to the standard P226 and P229, the P227 comes with front checkering which makes it so much more pleasant in the hand.
    Controls - I like Sig controls on their DA/SA pistols. The slide lock and slide release are positioned where I am used to. Some people accidentally release the slide when the gun locks back on the last round. I have trained myself to position my thumbs away from accidentally manipulating the slide release so this isn't an issue for me, but other guys on my department often complain about it. (They are generally striker fire shooters who hated switching from Glock to Sig per department regulations.) A lot of left handed people do not like the Sig P series because they are not ambidextrous.
    Magazine release - bar none, the Sig P227's magazine release is the best magazine release I have ever used. It is contoured more so than a regular circular magazine release. It's very easy to depress and ergonomic as well.
    SRT Trigger - I love the short reset trigger. My P227 came with it installed, but I am not sure an off the shelf one would come standard with it.

Con's:
    Magazine Capacity - the biggest con I have is the 10 round flush magazine capacity. For a duty pistol, I am more in favor for more rounds. On my duty belt, I carry only 2 spare magazines and carry a total of 31 rounds on me. In today's day and age, multiple assailants are attacking places (San Bernardino, Paris, etc) and I would like to have more than 31 rounds on my duty belt. Sig makes 14 round extended magazines for the P227 and they are massive and cumbersome. For the size of the P227, its capacity is pretty low. In my opinion, I think that the Sig P227 would be perfect if its flush capacity was 12 or 13 rounds. A Glock 21 magazine holds 13 rounds and it is very similar in size to the Sig P227.
    Magazine Construction - some of the other officers on my department have had issues with the feed lips on their P227 magazines. I have not experienced any issues but thought I should mention it. Apparently the feed lips would bend and even on an empty magazine, the slide would not catch and lock back (even when the shooter was cognizant of not hitting the slide release on accident). Feeding ammo was not an issue but the slide locking back on an empty magazine was.
    Short Reach Trigger* - I originally had the short reach trigger installed on my P227 but asked if the armorer would put the fat trigger on. Once this change was made, my trigger finger felt much better and my groups tightened. The P227's ship with the short reach trigger, but you can install the fat trigger without much hassle. Youtube videos show how to do this. I have installed the fat triggers myself before, but was not allowed to touch my department P227, only a certified armorer was allowed to alter my pistol.

In all, the P227 is one of my favorite pistols. I think it is a very well made .45. Hope this helps you.

As far as I know, I believe as if 2019, the Indiana State Police and Pennsylvania State Police are the only two agencies to issue the P227. I am also saddened to learn that the P227 was discontinued from Sig’s production line in February of 2019.
    Last edited by PureBS90; 02-21-19 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    Great eval. Thanks and I agree on the capacity, especially when the new PPQ holds 12 and like you said the 21 holds 13.

James

Feedback Score
    I'm hoping and waiting on MecGar to make a flush fitting increased capacity magazine. On the Sig MK25 the standard capacity is 15 rounds, but MecGar makes a flush fitting 18 round magazine. It would be great if they could get a few more rounds into a flush fitting P227 magazine. Something like a 12 or 13 round magazine would go a long way.

Feedback Score
    A 13 round flush fit, if Mec-Gar/Sig could figure it out, would give the same capacity as the Glock 21. I think that would elevate the P227 more. The M&P45 runs a 10 rounder as well if memory serves correctly.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    A 13 round flush fit, if Mec-Gar/Sig could figure it out, would give the same capacity as the Glock 21. I think that would elevate the P227 more. The M&P45 runs a 10 rounder as well if memory serves correctly.
    As well as the HK45. I just bought a p227 SAS yesterday, I am going to try and see if I can get out after I get off work this morning and put at least 50 rounds through it. So far just from handling it, I am in love with the gun.

Feedback Score
    My three inch Kimber CDP Ultra pushed a 230gr speer gold dot out at about 760 to -800 fps.