Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Batteries

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    agree with HK... you are getting into some touchy territory with non-recharge batteries. Alkaline can work if they don't get hot. Lithium.... I'm not sure you should even attempt that... at any rate, the only way I would try either would be outside on a GFCI. No way I'm doing that indoors.

I don't know that Nitecore but the drain-recharge is a good feature. Any of this new stuff that can make the batteries reset or perform at their designed peak is a good thing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorry I didn't have time to read all the posts, but I have some comments based on my experience. I'm not an expert in this area, but it seems that many of the new lights are using 18650 as mentioned. The advantage of 18650's is their capacity. I have 8 or ten lights that use 18650 (mostly Fenix) and I'm really happy with the run times I get. Most of these lights will run on CR123 or 18650 so I keep CR123s as back up.

The down side of 18650 batteries is that they are expensive and they are not standardized. There are versions with a button contact and versions without. The physical sizes can be slightly different and some are protected vs. un-protected. The best 18650 batteries are made by Panasonic (IMO), bu there are different capacities. 18650 batteries are capable of putting out high current and they can be dangerous. Read up about them on Candlepower Forums.

As for AA batteries. Rather than use a rechargeable battery in an Aimpoint M4 I suggest using the Energizer L91 (IIRC the model) Lithium. The nice thing about this battery is that it is more resistant to cold, and has a 10 year shelf life. The other thing about AA is they are not as good at putting out the current necessary to run a powerful LED light. Whereas the CR123 or better yet the 18650 are capable of driving a bright light.

Other thoughts:

Eneloops are very good and will hold their charge a long time. I use a lot of them.

C & D cells - Sanyo Eneloop makes plastic C and D shells that you can slip an AA battery into which will work pretty well.

I use a couple of La Crosse AA and AAA chargers and they work very well.

I use a Nitecore for the 18650s it will charge 4 18650s at a time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123