Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPMS

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

DPMS

I need to see some DPMS 308 AR's please. I have a sweet tooth for a 308 for some reason. I am leaning towards DPMS since they are pretty nice and not as expensive as other brands.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    VooDooChild:

I posted my experience with DPMS's AP4 (.308 Mforgery) a few days ago. I would not buy another DPMS product due to serious QC problems, as in a bad barrel that produced no better than 11"+ groups at 48 yds with Federal Gold Match ammo. In support of their integrity, DPMS replaced it free of charge, but it was an essential and easily preventable QC failure that should not have occured in the first place.

If I was to do it over again, I would buy a Rock River Arms LAR-10. The RRA product uses FAL mags which is a big plus. For that matter, an AR-10 would be a better choice than DPMS IMO.

KYPD

http://www.rockriverarms.com/

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, I do not own a DPMS, but the ones I have shot have been flawless. It seems DPMS has had a few lemons, but coming across a bad report is quite rare.

The RRA is a carry on of a flawed platform. It is still yet to be seen if the RRA design will be a good choice, as the Bushmaster version was problematic for the majority of it's users. In short, I'd wait until they have a half way decent track record.
    The luxury of freedom was not free.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yeah I know RRA is coming out W/ a 308 but not sure as to when it is going to happen. I know the problems W/Bushmaster and that it was a RRA desing that Bushmaste was going off of. A friend of mine has a LR-308 AP4 that shoots real well and never had a problem with it. FWIW I am not sure that RRA will have many aftermarket parts that will work with their 308 such as rails and other accesories.

Feedback Score
    I'd definately go for the DPMS as I just saw on RRA's site that the release date has been pushed back to early 2007.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by olds442tyguy
    I'd definately go for the DPMS as I just saw on RRA's site that the release date has been pushed back to early 2007.
    They are experiencing the same problems Bushy did. Thatrs why Bushy dropped it.

Feedback Score
    The DPMS accepts the same accessories as the SR25, such as FF rails and magazines. If you buy the AP4 you will be able to use the Mid length URX rail that is currently for sale.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob96
    They are experiencing the same problems Bushy did. Thatrs why Bushy dropped it.
    Actually it was an RRA design when bushy had it but they never heat treated their bolts right and gave up then RRA got the design back. They are now working to solve all problems bushy had with it but it looks like it is going to be the same design and some small changes. Hope they get it all figured out would be nice to have an RRA 5.56 and a 308 bulit off their parts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    The DPMS accepts the same accessories as the SR25, such as FF rails and magazines. If you buy the AP4 you will be able to use the Mid length URX rail that is currently for sale.
    You sure about that? Not only did I think the DPMS had proprietary threads, getting an SR25 rail system is nearly impossible, and the AP4 uses a carbine length gas system. The mags do interchange as you mentioned though.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoochild
    Actually it was an RRA design when bushy had it but they never heat treated their bolts right and gave up then RRA got the design back. They are now working to solve all problems bushy had with it but it looks like it is going to be the same design and some small changes. Hope they get it all figured out would be nice to have an RRA 5.56 and a 308 bulit off their parts.
    Another rumor. There were two rumors as to why the bolts failed in the BAR-10 platform. One came from Bushy, another came from another manufacturer, but both were wrong.

The real problem with the BAR-10 bolts was the tail shaft. The original design called for an indent in the tapering tail shaft, which drastically weakened the bolt. It had no purpose yet made it to production. However, when they broke, it was not evident until the rifle was taken down.

I have only heard of three bolt breakages that weren't in the tail shaft. Only one involved a completely broken bolt lug, and was more likely related to round count. The heat treat was fine, and RRA/Bushy DID NOT delete any bolt lugs.

Feedback Score
    My AP4.

I have since replaced that huge read sight with an ARMS 40 flip up BUIS.

I really like this gun. shoots very well and I have had no problems. I really like the compensator on it (Miculek) - takes up almost all of the recoil. Feels like less than a 5.56 round. Very fun shooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast