Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a Frankford Arsenal Tumbler arriving tomorrow

Feedback Score
    I want to bump this...

I've had my Frankford tumbler sitting in a box for about a year, and I finally put it to work today.

As threatened, I threw an ugly ducking Glock slide in there... Nevermind how (my fault), but I have nothing to lose with this slide. So far, the steel pins are doing a good job chipping away at the misbegotten DuraCoat on the slide (not DuraCoat's fault: my fault).

I have a question about recipes:

This site says 5lbs pins, 8lbs water (1 gallon), and 2-4lbs brass:

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/tips/

Given that the Frankford tumbler holds about 15lbs of water (7 liters), it seems like 5lbs of pins aren't enough... The recommended recipe (above) should be about double to reach the Frankford's capacity (not to exceed 30lbs, total).

Finally, the Frankford pins are 0.041 or so, which is the size that stick in primer holes (so I hear). So, I bought another 5lbs of 0.047 pins from GunTap (best price I could find). So, far it's humming along...

Feedback Score
    Glad to hear it's working as planned. Can't wait for a pic or two of the end result. As for the recipe, I just filled the drum with all the brass I had (5-8 lbs), threw in the pins, added the solution and covered with water. Worked well for me. Man was that some nasty water when it was done!

Feedback Score
    As far as I can see, it's not damaging the slide... In fact, it's taking forever.

It's been in there 5-6 hours (HOURS), and the DuraCoat is off the big flat surfaces, but still around the corners, and the entire inside of the slide still seems to be coated with it.

I'll put it in again today, but maybe I'll use hot water and LemiShine (yesterday I just used cold water and Dawn).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    As far as I can see, it's not damaging the slide... In fact, it's taking forever.

It's been in there 5-6 hours (HOURS), and the DuraCoat is off the big flat surfaces, but still around the corners, and the entire inside of the slide still seems to be coated with it.

I'll put it in again today, but maybe I'll use hot water and LemiShine (yesterday I just used cold water and Dawn).
    You would be better off taking it to anodizing shop and asking for it to be media blasted. It will take 5 minutes or less and they might charge you $20 at the very most.

Feedback Score
    I've used the Frankford Arsenal for a couple of weeks now. The first several batches came out shiny, like new. Those cases had been stored for a while, so no issues.

However, when I started cleaning recently sized cases (within a week), they started coming out being coated with a grayish, greasy film. I can clean that off when I dry tumble with walnut, but does anyone know why this might be an issue?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoCop822 View Post
    I've used the Frankford Arsenal for a couple of weeks now. The first several batches came out shiny, like new. Those cases had been stored for a while, so no issues.

However, when I started cleaning recently sized cases (within a week), they started coming out being coated with a grayish, greasy film. I can clean that off when I dry tumble with walnut, but does anyone know why this might be an issue?
    That is the case lube. I'm guessing you're using lanolin and alcohol, which is pretty tough to remove. My advice would be to use more soap, a little more lemishine, and maybe less water. I generally cover the cases with 2" max of HOT water, personally.

Feedback Score
    I will say that the first cases were all sized with Hornady One Shot. I did switch to a batch with the Dillon case lube, as you say, and that is when I started having the problem. The thing now, though, is that I went back to the One Shot and am still having the problem.

I will admit, I am using water from the outside tap and fill it up to the max with water. I switched from Dawn to simple Green to see if that would help.

I guess I'll try the hot water and limited water and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoCop822 View Post
    I will say that the first cases were all sized with Hornady One Shot. I did switch to a batch with the Dillon case lube, as you say, and that is when I started having the problem. The thing now, though, is that I went back to the One Shot and am still having the problem.

I will admit, I am using water from the outside tap and fill it up to the max with water. I switched from Dawn to simple Green to see if that would help.

I guess I'll try the hot water and limited water and see what happens.
    This is going to hurt my soul to say this, but there was a totally perceptible difference between using actual Dawn and generic soap, too. For whatever reason, the Dawn did better.

Thoroughly rinsing the walls of the tumbler after each batch helped, too.

Feedback Score
    I originally used Dawn. I tried Simple Green to see if that would fix the problem. I did clean the inside running some Dawn and water only for about 30 minutes.

Like I said, I'll try the HOT water and limit my water and see what's up.

Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    You're probably using too much water. I had the same issues originally, and I use Dillon case lube. I now use more dawn and only fill the water to an inch or two above the cases. I find I can tumble for less time this way, as well.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast