Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Katana for Survival?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Tactical Katana for Survival?

I'm using "Tactical," of course, in jest and putting any TWD references aside.....Wondering if any of you have considered the virtues, or not, of a Katana in a survival situation?

I probably wouldn't use this one, I have a less ornate one that I'm planning on putting next to the emergency kit. I know there have been stories of less than real Katana's being used for home defense successfully. A legit Katana could quickly ruin someone's day, without question.

Curious of the perceived value, or not, from others perspectives.

Last edited by HKGuns; 12-29-15 at 23:41.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not for me. I would be far more likely to choose a blade of Filipino origin. A Bolo, Ginunting, Barong, etc. have been used combatively for generations, but they are also derivatives of jungle blades used for chopping and cutting.
    e77b2f37286536667436fad4b0f08cb9.jpg

9_55e879671e2829.16584005.jpg
    Last edited by jwinch2; 12-29-15 at 22:51.
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    Survival of what? I'm not taking out any grizzlies with a katana. If I'm trying to survive some type of SHTF civil unrest, I'm going to avoid getting within katana range of anyone else at all costs. If I do get in katana range and need a weapon, I'd hardly know which end of a katana to hold, much less how to actually fight with one. Had I spent years of my life learning how to employ one through martial arts or whatever, yeah, I'd probably seriously consider one. As the average duff that I am? **** no, I'm not going to try carrying something I don't know how to expertly employ. I agree with jwinch, I'd carry a blade with more utility around camp, and I'd keep my self defense weapons focused on avoidance, de-escalation, and firearms. If I survive beyond my ammo supplies and things aren't better in one way or another, then I don't think any bladed weapon would have made the difference for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you're going for a medieval weapon, consider something with utility like a machete or hatchet.

If you want a dedicated "kill people when everyone is out of ammo" weapon, get a walking stick sized spear.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    its been mostly answered.. but a katana, while being an excellent sword. can in no way be considered a survival weapon.its only good at one thing... and when has anything to do with survival been solely focused on one thing???

get that British survival knife if you want sharp. it can do a multitude of things. hell a small forest axe would be better, cause lets be honest. no one will run out of ammo in the apocalypse... theres just too much laying around to scavenge.
    "I must study politics and war so that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
    -John Adams
    "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Albert Einstein
    “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I watch a documentary called "The Walking Dead" and one of the people has used one with great results.

Feedback Score
    I have to say machete is the way to go. I have seen compesinos fight with razor sharp machetes it isn't pretty. I have a well used US Military machete that has now been retired from the plantation and rides in my jeep with me. Attachment 36750

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Appreciate all the responses, I do have an Ontario machete for clearing brush and stuff. Great tool.

Great point about not getting close enough to someone with a katana, pretty much common sense to not do that.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SteyrAUG will have a best qualified opinion if he sees this.

Feedback Score
    I recall a few armed robberies with Katanas. I'd encourage that, as concealing a meter+-long sword is a dead giveaway for responding officers. That guy strolling with stiff gait might just be worth having a chat with...

TWD and other zombie flicks aside, swords are a bitch in close quarters. I was reminded this when I read a story about English assassins sent to kill an exiled political figure in the 1630's. One old guy held off a half-dozen sword-armed men in Dutch pub for a lengthy period of time. I doubt these Royalist assassins were slinging a katana, but a sword is limited in tight quarters. I'm confident that there are examples where a sword is valuable, but the sword/cutlass has been ceremonial even in the US Navy since before Pearl Harbor.

Framing Questions:
    Beyond reach, what does a katana or anything longer than a machete offer that a more realistic length knife would offer?
    Would a lashable spear point and 12" knife provide all the same options at less weight and length?
    What SHTF situations does looking like a verifiable threat, albeit goofy in my opinion, provide more value than being low profile?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast