Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Direct thread vs ratchet silencer

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    what is the best thread pattern to get on the end of the muzzle? for example the THOR suppressor mount muzzle brake from surgeon comes in all these different thread patterns.

https://surgeonrifles.com/shop/awc-psr-muzzle-brake/
    Last edited by trinydex; 03-10-16 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex View Post
    what is the best thread pattern to get on the end of the muzzle? for example the THOR suppressor mount muzzle brake from surgeon comes in all these different thread patterns.

https://surgeonrifles.com/shop/awc-psr-muzzle-brake/
    5/8x24 is the most common for short action guns.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    1/2-28 is the standard for .22-cal
    5/8-24 is the standard for 30-cal

For lightweight 30-cal barrels you sometimes see 9/16-24, but most precision barrels are well over 5/8" at the muzzle.

There are many others, but those will give you the most options. Be sure to provide a drawing, and not just specify "5/8-24". Drawings are usually available from the suppressor manufacturer and will have shoulder dimensions, thread length, chamfer, and tolerances. Just cutting a barrel down and running a class 2B die over it is not going to guarantee a good suppressor mount!

Feedback Score
    Well, to the OP, I will be the guinea pig and let you know what my results are. I have a bolt gun currently getting a few updates, and I'm mounting an AAC brake for my 762sd. When I get it back I'll update this thread.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have a Saker 762 on my bolt gun, and although some have had issues with the MAAD mount I've been very impressed. Return to zero is perfect and the lockup is totally solid. QD mounts are the way to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Tomorrow it will be 2016. You can go ahead and get a ratchet mount. The days of direct thread silencers being a necessity for precision are gone.
    This.

Also why no YHM Titanium Phantom love? Great cans and light weight with repeatable POI shift.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    direct thread and be done with it,

mounts have improved tremendously over the past few years, and I would like to get something in QD flavor, but right now the one thing I am sure with all my say 30 caliber rifles, they are all going to have standard 5/8 threading. if decide to buy a scar in 5 years, I don't have to worry about buying a lifetime supply of mounts, or tracking down a mount that is no longer current(surefire/AAC). I screw on the can and shoot. in ten years if I decide to buy a Remington 700 with threaded barrel, I can screw it on and go shooting.

with the constant fracturing of leadership in world of silencer manufacturing, there really is no way to know if you are going to be able to find a mount 8 years from now, or will be left rat ****ing rifles to use your can.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Str8shooter View Post
    This.

Also why no YHM Titanium Phantom love? Great cans and light weight with repeatable POI shift.
    The ULT is very light and short. It is pretty loud. I have the regular Phantom and ULT and both impact accuracy negatively. They turn 0.5MOA guns into 1.5MOA guns. The POI shift is also huge (6-8 MOA) and not that repeatable. Just grabbing the can and wiggling it will show you how loose the lockup is with that YHM ratchet system. For an AR with iron sights or a red dot - you'll never notice, and the weight and length are great. For a precision bolt gun - fuggetaboutit.

I have relegated the ULT to a dedicated 300 BLK sub-sonic gun, where accuracy is only OK anyway, and the can never comes off. It's decent in that app, although of course a direct thread would be better.

I have an Omega for my precision rifles. POI shift is less than 2 MOA on all guns wth ASR mount, and accuracy is unaffected. I see no difference in accuracy or POI shift with ASR mount vs direct thread. And, since I can run both, I always have the option of DT. I also got a DT adapter threaded 9/16-28 for a Savage bolt 300 WSM - only cost me $15 for a tap and $20 to get it cut. So I am $125 away from a custom adapter for ANY thread pattern, and the adapter will fit my Omega and Hybrid. That's future-proof!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
    The ULT is very light and short. It is pretty loud. I have the regular Phantom and ULT and both impact accuracy negatively. They turn 0.5MOA guns into 1.5MOA guns. The POI shift is also huge (6-8 MOA) and not that repeatable. Just grabbing the can and wiggling it will show you how loose the lockup is with that YHM ratchet system. For an AR with iron sights or a red dot - you'll never notice, and the weight and length are great. For a precision bolt gun - fuggetaboutit.

I have relegated the ULT to a dedicated 300 BLK sub-sonic gun, where accuracy is only OK anyway, and the can never comes off. It's decent in that app, although of course a direct thread would be better.

I have an Omega for my precision rifles. POI shift is less than 2 MOA on all guns wth ASR mount, and accuracy is unaffected. I see no difference in accuracy or POI shift with ASR mount vs direct thread. And, since I can run both, I always have the option of DT. I also got a DT adapter threaded 9/16-28 for a Savage bolt 300 WSM - only cost me $15 for a tap and $20 to get it cut. So I am $125 away from a custom adapter for ANY thread pattern, and the adapter will fit my Omega and Hybrid. That's future-proof!
    I have the titanium Phantom and have no such issues. Both in 223 and 308. Great cans and If you ca wiggle it than you should tighten it down more. Common sense.
    I guess your mileage varied.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Direct thread vs ratchet silencer

Prior to getting a Dead Air sandman Ti direct thread, I ran my YHM phantom 7.62 on my bolt .308. It did not have a negative impact on accuracy but that thing moves A LOT when firing. It's not something you can "tighten up", it's just the mount design. I tighten to the last ratchet click I can get. I personally like the design a lot- nothing on the can to break, no latch to push, no carbon welding. It may not wiggle by hand but trust me it moves when shooting. Definitely more movement than SDN-6.

The only reason to run direct thread is really to save weight and length; all of the modern QD mounts have good repeatability and typically don't have a negative effect on accuracy.
    Last edited by sandsunsurf; 03-28-16 at 17:56.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast