Thread: Hunting & plinking ammo that will share similar ballistics.....

Feedback Score

Hunting & plinking ammo that will share similar ballistics.....

Just got my first AR up and running. 16" BCM 410SS 1/8. I'd like to pick up some inexpensive brass cased plinking ammo as well as some rounds for coyote hunting. I'd like them to share similar ballistics so I can switch between the 2 ammos with as little POI change as possible at various ranges. Also looking for some suggestions that generally shoot well out of the BCM 410SS 1/8 barrel. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Hello,

Good choice on your barrel. That should be a great shooter. Unfortunately, there is really no way to tell what will have similar trajectories and POI as there are too many variables at play. I live at sea level and it's almost 80 degrees outside right now. These conditions will affect my POI differently than if you live somewhere hellishly cold and mountainous, like Virginia. Even more so if you live in one of those places out west with lots of big rocks with white stuff on top of them.

Using an 11.5" 4150 barrel, a 62gr M855 POA using 64gr Gold Dots at 200 yards is almost 6" straight down. I don't think you will find many closer "on paper" matches than that between cheap plinking ammo and 'yote ammo. Another example, out of my 16" Colt 6920 at 100 yards, if POI=POA with 55gr Wolf Gold M855 is almost 4" left. 77gr FGMM is about 1.5" low and 1" right.

You will probably get many replies about what works for others, but be advised for the least amount of frustration you should go out and purchase many types of plinking and hunting ammo to see what works and what doesn't.

Good luck
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-16-16 at 12:25.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Not looking for anything definite. Just looking for some options to test out. The plan is to buy several different in small amounts then find out what will be my best combo then load up on whatever the best option is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had the best results with Hornady 55gr VMAX ($20 per 20) and Hornady 55 gr FMJ-BT ($27 per 50). Not exactly cheap plinking ammo to take a class with but worth it for casual shooting. This is with my old Bushmaster Predator 20" heavy barrel.
    Hopefully I'll find another combo for my DDV11 this week. My Hornady 55gr VMAX did not group well with this rifle at all.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

Feedback Score
    I handload and the 55 vmax and 55 GMX with the same powder charge of 21 gr IMR 3031 have the same POI. I would look for ammo from the same company running those two bullets Hornady or Blackhills maybe

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    With my DD M4A1 there is no poi shift between 55gr Barnes TSX and xm193.
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    Sweet I just bought a boat load of xm193 so hopefully I can also find a premium round that will work with it. I'll try a box of the Barnes. I bought some Hornady soft points that came in the 50 round box because they were on sale.

Feedback Score
    I use IMI m855 with my AR-15's (Colt 16" and PSA CHF 16")

When I want hunting ammo, I use a collet puller and replace the ball with Nosler 64 gr Bonded and am also trying some Federal Fusion 62 gr bullets (Pulled but they look great)

This meets my needs for general purpose and hunting ammo for the 5.56

Here is a recovered Nosler 64gr BSB bullet. Wife shot an 8 point at 60 yds through both shoulders.