Thread: Remington 700 AAC-SD w/ 16.5" .308?!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Remington 700 AAC-SD w/ 16.5" .308?!

I saw this locally the other day. Unless I missed something, this model is not on Remington's website. If I'm not mistaken, the 16.5" barrel is a distributor exclusive. Yes, I did verify that it's a .308 win, not 300BLK. Some searching shows the rifle is capable of reaching out to targets at 500+ yds with the proper user input. What I liked about this rifle is it is quite handy and quick to shoulder- just what I want for a brush gun. The added benefit I think this set up offers is the ability to reach out to 200yds accurately and with enough energy to drop a white tail; my current brush gun is a Marlin 1894 44mag, which I am hesitant to push past 100yds. Most of the white tail I've seen are within 80yds, but there were a few at 200yds that I let go due to open sights and the rain bow trajectory of the 44mag. I'd like a gun that can reach across that gap.
    So, a few questions. If I really do feel the need to take game beyond 200-300 yds I have a 7mm rem mag for that. Is hunting with a short .308, what is a realistic range for hunting white tail?
    As for loads, the I'm guessing 1/10 twist is suited more for heavier subsonic loads while suppressed. Will the twist rate be too fast for lighter 308 projectiles, such as 150gr? These are available locally so I want to be realistic about the factory loads I can grab if/when a shortage of ammunition and reloading components occurs. The light loads would be targets only, as I feel 168-175 is more appropriate for white tail.
    In your collected opinions, is the 16.5" barrel a good compromise for weight/handiness if I'm not reaching past 500yds for gongs or 200yds for hunting? Or is this just some marketing scheme for the couch warriors who want a tacti-cool look?
    ETA: meant to post in general bolt gun thread. On iPhone- small screen, big hands
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Co-gnARR; 12-31-15 at 15:26. Reason: Wrong forum