Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Remington 700 AAC-SD w/ 16.5" .308?!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Uhhh...yeah...good luck with that. Mine wouldn't shoot better than 3 MOA with FGMM ammo, and I ended up dropping about $2200 into it to get it to shoot well. (All I had left at that point was the receiver, and even that had been blueprinted and customized)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-questions-etc

The pics are no longer up, but the majority of groups were around 4" at 100 yards. I wrote a nicely worded letter to Remington and the guys who actually build the things gave me a call and said that unless a rifle shoots worse than FIVE MOA at 100 yards they will not consider it a defect. I love Remington 700s, but I'll never buy one again. Especially a "boutique" model like a 16.5" barrel.
    what was the hangup? what made it shoot so poorly?

i see you mention later it was the barrel, so what was your final set up that "shot well"
    Last edited by trinydex; 03-24-16 at 12:57.

Feedback Score
    Knew about the stock, changed that with a take off from another time. I guess I got a good one, well it is good with tuned handloads. I like a 175 at 2550 ft/secs from the 16.5" tube... that reaches the 100 yard berm no problem :-)

Tried to remove the tumb nail, that load was shot in a different rifle!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 308sako; 04-15-16 at 19:48. Reason: remove one picture

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I picked up one of these in a trade and got extremely lucky. I put it in a magpul stock, threw a scope, nightforce base and seekins rings and its consistantly a .5moa or better rifle. However as many have sed you are rolling the dice if you pick one up. Ive seen more bad than good posts about these.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just bought one, waiting on my magpul stock to get here before I do any type of shooting. Then next weekend I will be doing groups with FGMM 168, 175 & BH 175 ammo, and a ladder test for my handloads. Also hoping to stretch the legs out and see if I got a lemon or a diamond in the rough. I will update next weekend with my results.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Took mine to the range over the weekend after getting a timney 510, Magpul 700, and a muzzle brake. Cold bore groups are around .75"-1.15" using 168 GR A-max, but after 5 shots the barrel is so damn hot the groups open up (also doesn't help that it's 100+ degrees where I'm at). My first group with 178 GR ELD-X Hornady precision hunter was at an inch, after that group I shot another one and it jumped to a 3" group.

I'm going to run that theory again tonight but so far I'm not to impressed with the rifle. I really hope it gets better or this rifle is going to be on the chopping block.
    Last edited by tevan0707; 06-23-16 at 08:13.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Try without the brake. Do you know how many foot-pounds was used to tighten it?

Also, did you get to try any Federal GMM 168?
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Try without the brake. Do you know how many foot-pounds was used to tighten it?

Also, did you get to try any Federal GMM 168?
    My smith said he snugged it against the barrel, but I will try it without the brake on. He said the brake is easily taken off so I can clean it and everything so I can't imagine it's on there incredibly tight.

I didn't have any 168 GR FGMM, only the 175. I did have some 168 GR Hornady HPBT that grouped just at 1.17" if I remember right. But those reloads were just stuff I threw together.

I tried not alot of different ammo, but some variety. I had FGMM 175, Black Hills match 175, Hornady 168 Amax, and the Hornady Precision hunter 178 ELD-X. The black Hills was promising until I had 2 fliers, the first 3 rounds were clover shaped, the Amax was about 1.5" group, the FGMM was 2" and the precision hunter after it cooled down shrunk to a 1.15" group. All the group measurements are off the top of my head, I will have to double check my targets when I get home.
    Last edited by tevan0707; 06-23-16 at 11:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well, I had a fun run with the rifle but it's going to the chopping block.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456