Thread: Remington Factory Repair

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Remington Factory Repair

Has anybody ever sent a gun back to remington for reapair only to have it do the exact same thing. Im wondering about all of this in reference to the issues people have been having with the newer 870's. Does remington actually know how to fix the problems with extraction and ejecting among other things. Even after this problem has been known about for years now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What exactly is the problem? What ammo are you using? if it is valu-pak stuff, that is a pretty common complaint. Much of the time polishing the chamber will solve the extraction problems.

I cut and paste stuff and put it in files here is something on the Valu-Pak shells:

Resizing AA brass head one fired shells and Remington Sport Loads with "white mystery metal" heads is the difference between night and day as to how much the cheaper silver colored headed shells expand and the brass shells.

Each and every Remington took a hard, deliberate pull down to resize, and left visible marks on the case.

On the other hand, the brass head AA's had swollen so little, and resized so easy, that often you couldn't feel any resistence at all when sizing,,,,and on the few that you could "feel" the head resizing,,,,it was many, many times easier to resize than the Remingtons.

Another snippet had another take on the problem:

I looked very closely at the back of the barrel where the shell sits. Around the rim where the brass would normally sit was a little burr. I also noticed alot of build-up of spent powder or plastic wading where the forcing cone starts and ends. So, to remidy this, i took my dewalt drill and attached my cleaning brush to it. I began by spraying alot of remington shotgun cleaner in the forcing cone area and let it set for about a min. Then I started at low speeds working the brush around the forcing cone and back out towards the back of the barrel where the burr was. After a while i added more cleaner and the burr was eventually ground down. This was a less abrasive way of polishing out the burr. I don't know how it got there, but I took it out to shoot today and had no more problems with the cheap 100 round value boxes!

FWIW: I'm a full-time instructor at our state's central academy. Most of the time we have 28 training shotguns in the rack, at least 22 are Remington 870's, many of them are shotguns we've used in training 15 - 20 years. I'm not saying Remington quality is what it was 20 years ago, in fact I'm not saying current Remington quality is good at all. What I am saying is that we have problems when officers bring valu-paks to training - often with 870's that have been around for over a decade, most of these these shotguns get at least three thousand rounds a year through them, and had never had extraction issues until the valu-paks came onto the scene.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Im seeing issues with extraction, and ejection, double feeds, and even a stove pipe. The double feed only happen when obviously the spent case fails to eject. Will ditching the MIM extractor help on top of what your suggesting?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Im seeing issues with extraction, and ejection, double feeds, and even a stove pipe. The double feed only happen when obviously the spent case fails to eject. Will ditching the MIM extractor help on top of what your suggesting?
    I would replace the MIM extractor simply because the police 870's have a non-MIM extractor, so someone at Remington evidently thinks the non-MIM is more reliable.

You said new - how new? What, if anything do you have mounted on the weapon? Once again, what rounds are you experiencing the problems with?

Here is why I ask - newer 870's all have 'Magnum' ejectors - they will eject 3 in shells; an older 870 may have an ejector for 23/4 shells - in that case it won't eject 3 inchers.

Stove pipes are often caused by short stoking the action - is there a shell on the carrier under the stove piped shell waiting to be fed? Or has the stove pipe occurred before another round was released from the mag tube onto the carrier?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    When I say new I mean like never fired before, and made recently. The issues have been with cheap winchester white box 2 3/4 stuff. The stove pipe only happened once, and I honestly dont remember the fine details. I kinda though it happend cause the extractor slipped off the case rim.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd polish the chamber, look for the ridges the one guy described (in my post) and drive on. Or, just don't use the valu-pak shells.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 11-22-15 at 00:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    Has anybody ever sent a gun back to remington for reapair only to have it do the exact same thing. Im wondering about all of this in reference to the issues people have been having with the newer 870's. Does remington actually know how to fix the problems with extraction and ejecting among other things. Even after this problem has been known about for years now.
    I have, twice. Gun never worked until the barrel was swapped, bolt swapped, and receiver honed.

It was this one FWIW:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im SO done with anything/everything Remington. They have been putting out CRAP for years. Ammo recalls...poorly performing defense loads..just a complete downfall the past several years. I wouldn't buy anything new from them.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ditto on polishing chamber, which also removes plastic residue that seems to accumulate in chambers not well polished. For the last 15 years I've observed that low end shot shells pattern poorly and show unreliable function, and promotional shells are the worst in every respect. Winchester AA continue to show excellent quality as do various law enforcement versions. I've bought a lot of cheap buckshot from Academy, and it all went bang and functioned ok. I used it to run through new purchases.