Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benelli Nova Tactical LE Report

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Benelli Nova Tactical LE Report

Got this shotgun about 2 months back, been trying to get to the range, finally did on New Years Eve.
    My overall impression of this shotgun is very good. Built very robustly, looks a tad different from other shotty's, but Ive grown to like it now. so here is my list of pro's/con's:

PRO'S:
    1. Well made. {in Italy} Beefy bolt, receiver has a polymer "exoskeleton" over it..for lack of a better word.
    2. 7+1 Capacity and handles all lengths of 12 gauge including 3 1/2".
    3. Chrome lined chamber & bore
    4. Safety is in front of triggergaurd, so is bolt release.
    5.EXCELLENT LPA peep sights. Night sights available and I will eventually get them. LOVE these sights.
    6. Had a button on bottom of pump that when depressed, lets you unload the round in the chamber without another popping up to be loaded. You can close action on an empty chamber, or pop in a different type load. I like this feature.
    7. Polymer front/rear stocks. NO extended pistol grip..thank God.
    8. Nice trigger
    9. VERY easy to field strip.
    10. Action is smooth & slick. Not quite as slick as a well used 870, but its new and should slick up more with use.
    11. Patterned nicely with military brown box 00 Buck..some old Remington Magnum 4 Buck...0 Buck..and at 25 yards even some dove loads were patterning nice.
    12. I shot until my shoulder gave out...then kept on firing from the hip in order to break in the gun and see if any initial problems popped up. None did...gun was 100%.

CONS:
    1. BRUTAL RECOIL! The rubber..pad..on the end of the stock, I WILL NOT call it a "recoil pad", was very very hard. It was in the upper 30's for the near 6 hours at the range, and it in no way helped with recoil. Maybe the cold temp made it harder. My 50 year old shoulder was sore this morning I tell you!
    2. Aftermarket accessories are not too available yet. I did find a light/sling mount combo..if I can remember where. But there isn't a whole lot out there for this shotgun yet.
    3. Going to have to buy a mercury recoil reducer for the stock..AND a Limbsaver recoil pad. May even get the barrel ported some day. But the recoil reducer and Limbsaver are gonna be mandatory.

In all, its a well made shotgun, very pointable thanks to excellent sights, patterns well, but the recoil is something else. Maybe it wont bother some of you as much. Maybe it did me cause I was pretty cold by the time I laid down the other weapons I was shooting and got to the shotgun. Or maybe its just the number of heavy loads I fired.
    The Benelli Nova Tactical LE came to me OTD a wee bit under $500. I like it, and will like it more when I install previously mentioned recoil reducing items.
    Hope this is useful info.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 01-02-16 at 11:34.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Limbsaver will definitely help!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    For soft pads to work they they have to compress under recoil. On guns with a lot of drop at the comb the increase in rearward movement allowed by the soft pad will work on your face. Same thing happens in cold weather when you wear a heavy jacket. The gun gets a running start. I see no reason to shoot a hundred rounds of buck at one sitting other than the reason the OP did. If I did it often I would invest in a shooting vest with a padded shoulder.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Who compensates chrome lined bores?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    For soft pads to work they they have to compress under recoil. On guns with a lot of drop at the comb the increase in rearward movement allowed by the soft pad will work on your face. Same thing happens in cold weather when you wear a heavy jacket. The gun gets a running start. I see no reason to shoot a hundred rounds of buck at one sitting other than the reason the OP did. If I did it often I would invest in a shooting vest with a padded shoulder.
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423 View Post
    Who compensates chrome lined bores?
    Hadnt thought about that GH41..thanks. Im gonna have to try it tho..my shoulder insists!
    As for compensating a CL bore..hmm..hadn't thought that to be a problem..is it? Wouldn't a Vang Comp or Magnaport work? If not,
    Id sure would like to learn why.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Hadnt thought about that GH41..thanks. Im gonna have to try it tho..my shoulder insists!
    As for compensating a CL bore..hmm..hadn't thought that to be a problem..is it? Wouldn't a Vang Comp or Magnaport work? If not,
    Id sure would like to learn why.
    Don't waste your money on porting. I don't care what anyone says. Porting does NOTHING to reduce recoil! It will slightly reduce jump but on a pump it doesn't make a rats ass of difference.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Don't waste your money on porting. I don't care what anyone says. Porting does NOTHING to reduce recoil! It will slightly reduce jump but on a pump it doesn't make a rats ass of difference.
    And I thank you for that info!! Didnt know that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great review. Glad you got to take it out.

Have you got to put anymore through it since the first time?

I found that the best way to "reduce" recoil was to shoot the shotty right after I shot my 1903. :P Of course, YMMV.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5whiskey View Post
    Great review. Glad you got to take it out.

Have you got to put anymore through it since the first time?

I found that the best way to "reduce" recoil was to shoot the shotty right after I shot my 1903. :P Of course, YMMV.
    HA..I understand! Have not shot since..been working and down with some now fixed medical issues. Maybe next week, Im hoping!
    I really like this shotty, I used to poo-poo the idea of peep sights on a street sweeper, but I was ignorant and didn't know better. LOVE those sights!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    HA..I understand! Have not shot since..been working and down with some now fixed medical issues. Maybe next week, Im hoping!
    I really like this shotty, I used to poo-poo the idea of peep sights on a street sweeper, but I was ignorant and didn't know better. LOVE those sights!
    I do especially like the sights. The saddle mounts that I have been able to find, whether for optics or side-saddle, cover the rear sight. I had to do some...customizing to get mine to fit over the sight.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast