Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking stove - Wood VS Gas Systems?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have an MSR X-GK stove that is close to 40 years old now. It will burn white gas, unleaded gas, diesel, Wild Turkey (oops, wrong bottle in the dark), or just about anything with a flashpoint.

I experimented with wood stoves, but got a bit tired of the constant wood hunt in rainy climates. With your little guys, it could be another part of the fun adventure "Let's help Daddy find wood."

I would recommend getting a quality brand. MSR is my personal fave, since they make maintenance and repair kits, that allow you to extend the life of the stove.

One potential drawback to them is the noise. Mine will boil water in 1.8 picoseconds, but it does sound like an F/A-18 launch. The wood stoves are obviously more peaceful.

And one last caveat: If you find your self hiking and or camping in the desert a lot, where's all that wood coming from? If you have to pack it in, might as well get the most efficient system possible.

My GHB's have Esbit stoves, but that is also not intended as a long-term use case. I'm only anticipating them being used for 24-36 hours.

Hope that helps. If you need/want more info, shoot me an email. I hope everyone is doing well, and you are kicking ass in school.

Feedback Score
    I've got the original BioLite and it works well as a stove. Accessories I've picked up along the way include a larger cooking grill, a Kettle that doubles as a case for the stove. While it will generate electricity (assuming the battery pack has enough initial charge left to run the fan and put more O2 into the equation. If so, the battery charges from the fire) to run a light, I personally found it a bit lacking in terms of charging my iPhone. I've got my eye on the newer BaseCamp stove that is larger and presumably generates more power. All of this is a bit pricey and still dependent on a recharging battery, so not completely self-sufficient. One of the selling points is the more complete combustion such that these stoves can be used in more confined spaces with lessened concern over breathing dirty air. Would never recommend using inside a tent or completely enclosed space...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's infinitely easier to utilize a gas burning stove than wood. I've seen people dick around with alcohol and wood stoves and it always looks like a PITA. I have a Snowpeak titanium and love it, but I'll admit it's the only stove I've used. I bought it years ago when I first got into backpacking and I like it so much I haven't seen a need to try anything else.

With backpacking, like anything else, you have to weigh your pros and cons. I buy the same fuel every time and always cook the same meals on the trail, so I know exactly how many meals I can get out of a canister. For me the pure convenience of a gas stove outweighs the marginal weight penalty, and I'm a real gram counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Any thoughts on the solo stove?
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    We recently received an MSR pocket rocket stove.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000A8...BZ3ZT6ZZ5PPSNK

Its lightweight and compact with a hard plastic storage case.

Very impressive heating performance with the MSR iso-butane-propane fuel.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Very hard to beat a Whisperlite. I have one from the early 80's (International?) that has been great. Picked up an open box Dragonfly for $30, and its a bit faster to setup, and just as hot. But much noisier and not multifuel like the whisperlite international.

As soon as you mentioned kids my immediate thought was MSR liquid fuel. As intriguing as the twig/bio stoves are, I don't want to be dependent on finding dry fuel.

One other comment, if not backpacking, I have started using a propane single burner (Coleman?) that uses the normal, fat green propane canisters. It was given to me, and I thought I'd never use it. But its handy, fast, and simple. My wife can light it, as could kids. But that's when car camping.

Can't say enough good about MSR, just a very solid track record.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    My 2 cents; I have been doing this for a long time and used to be an outfitter. If you are going to buy a gas stove, I would stick with MSR, they are simply the best. If you are cooking for yourself and a group, I would 100% go with a stove of liquid gas. If you get in an oh sh*t situation, liquid gas affords you the ability to open up the canister and start a fire with white gas. This option has saved my life on a one occasion.

Liquid gas stoves also give you the option to make some really great food on the trail and not just boil water. Canister stoves are even better at this but do not afford you the Sh*t hit the fan scenario and can be expensive over the life of the stove. You also have to pack out your canisters. They can be lighter and a better option for simmering vs liquid gas as the system is already pressurised vs the art of properly pressuring liquid gas for a simmer. The MSR WhisperLite is the gold standard for reliability and ability to use a multitude of gas sources. They now have one that will also take canisters as well as liquid fuels - http://amzn.to/1OkaG3c

If I am just out with another person for a short trip (2-4 days) or by myself, I generally take an Esbit Ultralight stove. Esbit stoves are a very simple small aluminum box that open to make a stove and burns Esbit tablets. The tablets weigh nothing and burn for 12 minutes which is plenty of time to boil water. You can also use them as a fire starter if needed. I own about 5 stoves but this is my preferred setup although not really conducive to cooking for a group. Here is a link to the Esbit - http://amzn.to/1RDcEjs

If you are going to do wood, I would recommend the Emberlit Stove. They come in stainless and titanium. I would go with the titanium as you lose 10 oz in the deal but the stainless is cheaper - http://amzn.to/1RDd7ST.

Wood is a great resource as its free and easy to cook with. Drawbacks are it takes time to get up and running and if you have been hiking all day, sometimes it’s nice to just get cooking asap vs waiting for a fire. Something I am sure you are already aware of; know where to find dry wood in the rain and know several ways to start a fire and have them on you. I always bring an Esbit as a backup if I am going to use wood.
    Thanks for all the great info! Looks like an MSR will be in my near future. I'll probably get the Emberlit as well to try it out and have another option.

ETA - Thank you everyone for contributing. Rather than hitting a bunch of quotes and bumping this I'll say one thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Hope that helps. If you need/want more info, shoot me an email. I hope everyone is doing well, and you are kicking ass in school.
    It does brother! Expect an email inbound in the next few days. Hope all's well with you and yours!
    Last edited by Irish; 01-10-16 at 19:06.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    This actually looks pretty slick for $10 http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Ultra...RP9V230XSX8S3V

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A Svea 123R is very simple, with very few parts to possibly lose. Compact, hot, but relatively loud.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've used the MSR Whisperlite and Pocket Rocket in the field, along with the Coleman Exponent. A few others in base camp or demo settings. For easiest set-up, minimum footprint, and eat-now, the Pocket Rocket is tough to beat.

The Exponent surprised me, and I like it more than I thought I would. Heavy, but multi-fuel and very stable.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast