Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any end in sight for prices of Vintage Colt SP1s?

Feedback Score

Any end in sight for prices of Vintage Colt SP1s?

I see one on GB right now with active bids Reserve Met for $2800 and another with active bids up to $3400 reserve NOT met, Buy it now is $4200.

Both have 3 prong flash hider and are SN'd under 17,000

How long has this trend been going on and where will it end? It's making me consider listing my 1973 SN 26,000 with original SN'd box and plastic bag.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hard to say. Have seen some fearmongers pushing that Colt is now out of business since they filed for bankruptcy and that their guns will never be made again,usually the same guys selling 6920s for $2200 with banned for sale on the tag. So in other words people lying through their teeth and idiots buying it. Also, Colt revolvers, Pythons being the main one, it isn't surprising if that has pushed the prices of other old Colts up, I mean, American Rifleman ran an article that if one were to just glance through it that Colt Pythons are worth now $20K, which ain't true as far as I am concerned, more so since the 20K colt was a NIB Python, not a used no box, manual, ect, beater, but is has resulted in me seeing guying marking Colt revolvers at $5k and well up from there to include 7K and one guy looking for 12k.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Hard to say. Have seen some fearmongers pushing that Colt is now out of business since they filed for bankruptcy and that their guns will never be made again,usually the same guys selling 6920s for $2200 with banned for sale on the tag. So in other words people lying through their teeth and idiots buying it. Also, Colt revolvers, Pythons being the main one, it isn't surprising if that has pushed the prices of other old Colts up, I mean, American Rifleman ran an article that if one were to just glance through it that Colt Pythons are worth now $20K, which ain't true as far as I am concerned, more so since the 20K colt was a NIB Python, not a used no box, manual, ect, beater, but is has resulted in me seeing guying marking Colt revolvers at $5k and well up from there to include 7K and one guy looking for 12k.
    Haha, yeah, I cut out that Python article and put it in the safe with the Python, which I have sworn never to sell other than back to the seller who sold it to me - for $600. A 1957 that had one cylinder shot through it.

Interesting thought about the Bankruptcy.

I always laugh when I see "Preban" or green labels, identical to current models, but "old" starting at $2000+ that get no bids. But this SP1 thing is different, it's just like they Pythons. These things really are selling for big bucks, and they haven't been made for about 30 years.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondofangle View Post
    Haha, yeah, I cut out that Python article and put it in the safe with the Python, which I have sworn never to sell other than back to the seller who sold it to me - for $600. A 1957 that had one cylinder shot through it.

Interesting thought about the Bankruptcy.

I always laugh when I see "Preban" or green labels, identical to current models, but "old" starting at $2000+ that get no bids. But this SP1 thing is different, it's just like they Pythons. These things really are selling for big bucks, and they haven't been made for about 30 years.
    My guess, and I will make a point to say it is a guess, albeit maybe a bit educated, is that they are going through the same thing as the Pythons, they old, not made anymore, Colt, and maybe collectable so some people are investing in them. That they are ARs can't hurt. If that is the case then it is just the start, maybe, might go up might not, I ain't a market expert and I ain't psychic though some expect me to be. The Python bubble, as investments, is going to burst, mark my words. I may not be soon, but if things keep going up like they are, then it is going to crash and people are going to end up like the guys who paid 3k for a DPOS AR Sportical to find out it only worth $450 because it is used.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Garden variety, used, no box circa 1971 Colt SP1 SOLD. $2800 + shipping

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=533658610

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Since the SP1s are pre-ban, this makes them a big commodity in those ban states. They will command high price tags. Here in the South, and other gun-friendly states, the market value is not as high. Heck, I bought my pristine 1977 SP1 a few years ago for only $1K. I bought a really nice 1981 SP1 Carbine just a couple years ago for $1800. The book values are much higher, but the market down here will not support those values. As far as prices are concerned, they are not going to get any cheaper. They will continue to climb and, in ban states, they will be astronomical.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Since the SP1s are pre-ban, this makes them a big commodity in those ban states. They will command high price tags. Here in the South, and other gun-friendly states, the market value is not as high. Heck, I bought my pristine 1977 SP1 a few years ago for only $1K. I bought a really nice 1981 SP1 Carbine just a couple years ago for $1800. The book values are much higher, but the market down here will not support those values. As far as prices are concerned, they are not going to get any cheaper. They will continue to climb and, in ban states, they will be astronomical.
    Have to agree with the ban states declaring that they are able to be grandfathered in as legal (stupid to ban a gun in the first place imo). But my friend who moved to Buffalo NY (due to work) said that his new neighbor wanted to buy his 1978 folder AKM for $25k because he can't find them anywhere up there (he also bought his mags for $175 each) so in ban states semi auto rifles will sell like MGs for the rest of us who are free, just like hi cap mags and rifles were during the Brady years. My SP1 I bought when I was 18 was only $155.43 according to my receipt from 1976, and a guy the other day offered me $1750 for it at the range (inflation would say I made a little money), but the guy kept pestering me about it and didn't get that I wasn't interested in selling my first rifle. So aside from that an SP1's value is really influenced by the ban states just like the SKS is no longer a $125 piece of junk because they can't be imported anymore so since the ban states can't go and buy a brand new DDM4 legally they have to buy classics and since the laws of supply and demand come to play the SP1 is now valuable for that reason.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    The Colt SP-1's from the 60's command a hefty price.

If you find one with the earlier lower receiver that has a roll pin hole for the extension tube threads, 3 prong FH, and older funiture, with a Chromed bolt carrier, and dimpled pins, you are sitting on pay dirt for collectors.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In a world of cookie-cutter AR-style rifles that are as interchangeable as Legos, the SP1s and other retro Colts really do stand out. I can see the collector appeal. I've got my eye on an SP1 carbine at a LGS complete with the 4x Colt scope, but I can't quite stomach the $2400 asking price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    In a world of cookie-cutter AR-style rifles that are as interchangeable as Legos, the SP1s and other retro Colts really do stand out. I can see the collector appeal. I've got my eye on an SP1 carbine at a LGS complete with the 4x Colt scope, but I can't quite stomach the $2400 asking price.
    $2400 is about book value, not market value. Unfortunately, many people do not know that and will pay more than they should. A real Colt 4x20 scope in really nice condition will fetch about $300-$400 easy. 1960s SP1s are between $2500 and $3500 depending on condition and year. That is the market price. 1970s SP1s are more in the $1500-$2000 range depending on year and condition. Of course, in "ban" states, you can add even more money to the prices. In my opinion, $2400 for the SP1 you are looking at is a bit high, but only by a few hundred dollars. If you know what you are looking at, know what year it was made, know if the 4x20 scope is an original Colt scope or not, you may want to consider making them an offer that is a few hundred less (somewhere around $1800-$2000).
    Last edited by Renegade04; 01-29-16 at 18:55.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast