Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    18 (95%)
    So the newest issue of Recoil Magazine has a Colt Combat Unit in 9mm in it, which isn't even on the Colt website.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Colt's website is slow. As a matter of fact it is down at the moment.

The Combat Unit was introduced at SHOT and also appeared at the NRA show. I shot one in April. They are real.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Was at a two day class ran by former OTC instructor that was basically a, this is how to get better at USPSA matches class and why it is different than tactical.

Consisted of mostly 18 series both with SFAUC (or SOT for older guys) or not had it yet, Guys with training somewhere between SFAUC/SOT and SFARTEC, and some straight up SFARTEC and OTC grads. A retired SF guy had a three grand Wilson Combat 9mm that was sweet. You can spend 2 to over 5 K on one he said. It ran great. Most had Glocks, a retired OTC grad had an XDM 45, a retired CIF guy whose hey day was when they ran M9s had a new Wilson Beretta Brig Tac, I had an old LE trade in 92G, and a smattering of various 1911 styles.

The Wilson was a beauty and stood out from the rest. He mostly shoots the target kind of disciplines for fun and it does exceed the accuracy guarantee.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have two 9mm 1911s, both from Springfield.

The full-size (1911 Loaded 9mm) factory magazines feed and lock back fine, but they drop a round on the floor if you eject them with any rounds remaining. That was almost a deal-breaker. Fortunately, the Wilson Combat magazines work great- I've had no issues with them, and the weapon itself has fed reliably with both JHP and FMJ ammo.

The EMP has been completely reliable with defensive ammo since day 1, and it is my favorite carry gun. The stock mags are great (which is good, since they're the only option).
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Was at a two day class ran by former OTC instructor that was basically a, this is how to get better at USPSA matches class and why it is different than tactical.

Consisted of mostly 18 series both with SFAUC (or SOT for older guys) or not had it yet, Guys with training somewhere between SFAUC/SOT and SFARTEC, and some straight up SFARTEC and OTC grads. A retired SF guy had a three grand Wilson Combat 9mm that was sweet. You can spend 2 to over 5 K on one he said. It ran great. Most had Glocks, a retired OTC grad had an XDM 45, a retired CIF guy whose hey day was when they ran M9s had a new Wilson Beretta Brig Tac, I had an old LE trade in 92G, and a smattering of various 1911 styles.

The Wilson was a beauty and stood out from the rest. He mostly shoots the target kind of disciplines for fun and it does exceed the accuracy guarantee.
    Damn, that's a lot of badasses. Where was this?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    He could tell you, but then he'd have to kill you.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Attended a vickers 1911 class couple years ago. Larry was running a Wilson 9mm but flatly stated he would not want it to be his fighting pistol.
    I have had two colts- a commander that required a very minor extractor tweak to run flawless ( this was over 20 years ago)
    And more recently a gov model that ran fine with Colt and metal form mags. Wish I still had it!
    I am betting in the next year another Colt 9mm will come my way

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    Larry was running a Wilson 9mm but flatly stated he would not want it to be his fighting pistol.
    Curious why he said that? Was the gun not up to reliability standards? Prefers .45? Prefers a higher capacity pistol such as Glock in that role?

I have a Springfield WTS series that has ran very well over the last year. Wilson ETM mags became problematic after about 5 months, rounds were nose diving into the front of the mags. Trip mags feed fine but drop a round if removing them from the gun with ammo in them. CMC Power mags have been flawless all around. Gun has fed everything from 115 gr to 147 gr training and JHP flawlessly through every mag except the Wilson's.

Just picked up a second one. Haven't gotten it to the range yet. The first gun has about 3500 rounds through it, regular range use and a few USPSA matches. Lot of dry fire repetitions on it too. Carried nearly every day since it was bought.

Feedback Score
    Larry stated for fighting he would rather have a gun of 1911 size in 45 or higher cap in a 9. No issues with reliability

Feedback Score
    Understood. I was just curious what his logic was.

Seems to me that companies like Wilson, Springfield, Colt, etc are really making the 9mm work in 1911's. Especially with the magazine improvements.

A number of people in this thread have said they wouldn't trust a 9mm 1911 to defend themselves, that they are gamer guns. If you have one that runs and meets your personal requirements for reliability etc, I say rock on with it. Just like the guy in another thread asking if a P7M8 is good for carry. If you are comfortable with capacity, weight, and performance, then go for it. I do understand the weight/capacity issues though. 9mm vs .45 performance arguments are outdated.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast