Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    Metalform outperformed ETM in my springer

Feedback Score
    about 15 years ago I started messing around with 9mm 1911s...….Not many offerings then....I have a life long love for the 1911, but the 9mm appealed to me because I could 100 rounds of 9mm for 10.00 bucks at wally world. (2005) I converted a brand new stainless steel SA 1911 GI...…...to 9mm from 45acp...……..since then I built 2 from the frame up with Caspian frames...…..

1. You need a ramped barrel of some kind......clark/para or Wilson/Nowlin, Hint: all the high end guns have ramped barrels...………

2. Use metalform 9 round mags...…..these are American made and consistently reliable. Mec-gar comes in a close second in my book.

If you do the above two recommendations...…..you will not have any issues...…...There is nothing finicky about the 9mm 1911 imho......mine all run like they should, no issues...…...I shot two of them in IDPA matches...…….no issues at all.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    ^Good info. As what I own ebbs and flows, I will probably shoot a bit more 1911 in the future.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a Colt CCU in 9mm, as well as a Nighthawk Chairman 6" 9mm 1911.

The NH was 100% flawless out of the box, and I have used Metalform, OEM, and Brownells brand 9mm 1911 mags. The Colt has also been 100%, but I did add a touch of tension to the extractor to get the ejection more consistent.

They are so much fun.
    Kiowa pilot turned Hooker.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msp1jpp View Post
    Metalform outperformed ETM in my springer
    This for the win.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Have a Guncrafter 38 Super/9mm

I shoot 38 Super 99% of the time. 9mm has bern flawless, I run Metalform or MecGar.
    Ive never had much luck with Wilson 9mm mags.
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 05-11-19 at 20:13.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    Go with a used Colt or Springer to defray costs...…..Have a gunsmith cut frame for Wilson/Nowlin or Clark/Para ramped barrel...…..Have gunsmith finish chamber the barrel and fit it...…...14 pound spring does fine...….Use metalform 9 round magazines......American made and consistently reliable......I currently have two 9mm 1911's......one is a ground up build with Caspian recon frame...….the other is a converted GI 45 Springer...…..both Government models...….I would stake my life on these pistols, not range toys...…….at all...…….The converted springer is using a ramped drop in Fusion barrel...….the Caspian has a KKM precision barrel...………..both are Wilson/Nowlin ramped...…..I would not have a non-ramped barrel 1911 in 9mm...…..after experimenting for a number of years....with all kinds of un-ramped barrels......its a no go for me...….Ramped is the only way to go......period
    Last edited by 6mmAR15; 05-15-19 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a Dan Wesson Valor, 100%
    I have Springer Pro, didn’t like Wilson mags but was a known issue. Otherwise 100% perfect with Chip mags
    I have Springer Lipsey edition, 100%

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This thread is over 3 years old, but still a great topic vs starting another thread. 9mm 1911's are getting so prevalent, even more so than 3 years ago when this thread started. Some great info by Bill Wilson that summarizes how much the 9mm 1911 has improved the last few years: here and here. On the second link, scroll to the section "BILL WILSON ON THE 9MM 1911". Now you have a ton of options at any price point, and can get solid mass production designs at well under $1K. Springfield EMP is an interesting example that comes to mind for carry. Thought if I got one for carry, I'd probably do as I've done with other mass production 1911's like my former LW Operator, and get it worked over by a competent 1911 gunsmith prior to carry. Or we have semi-custom designs that are absolutely reliable and carry worthy for well under $2K. Dan Wesson are best example in this group, a recent one that I'm personally interested in is the new TCP, which should be a reliable lightweight offering.

For mags, again it seems like there are more good options than ever. I've had success with McCormick, Tripp Research (Cobra--a few early hiccups with these which were discussed a lot on 1911forum.com and the company later resolved), Metalform. If I had to pick one of those 3 that's reasonably priced and a consistent reliable performer, Metalform. Actually had solid results with the Springfield house brand mags in my Springfield pistols, but probably wouldn't buy more. And whatever Cylinder & Slide uses for their house brand mags (I think it's Colt), those have been perfect in my C&S pistol.

Favorite currently owned 9mm: a custom Cylinder & Slide commander. If I were buying one today, I'd seriously look at either the new C&S lightweight commander (25 oz!!!), or one of the Dan Wesson semi-custom 9mm's, probably the commander-sized Operator, or the TCP. I'd have to get a Wilson bulletproof ambi safety added to that, but both of those otherwise look good to go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My Kimber ultra-carry was 100%. I bet my life on it every day. Only reason I switched to M&P was increased ammo capacity. Use Wilson mags with the 9mm 1911.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast