Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    In my great .38 super experiment I played with light springs with a light load and a heavier load, heavier springs and light loads and higher velocity loads. Light spring with a light load did recoil nicely but I ran into stoppages [failure to go into battery] once the gun got dirty, in my estimation not enough push from the spring to strip a round. Failure to extract fully also happened with the lighter loads when dirty with almost any spring weight. I concluded that for me the best combination for reliable function under all conditions was a 124/5 gr bullet @ around 1200 fps or greater. This with a #15 Wilson flatwire spring. I also started using a medium speed powder VV N340.
    Thanks for the info. I don't reload, but I will just start using Winchester 124 gr. NATO rather than the light 115 gr. loads. I am sure the 124 NATO will function just fine with the stock dual spring system.

Feedback Score
    Awhile back I traded into a STI Trojan in 9mm. I was selling a niche pistol and was offered this and some cash. I wasn't initially interested but went ahead with it thinking the Trojan would be a lot easier to turn. It is bone stock except for trigger work by a well known smith. One trip to the range was all it took. It's now my favorite pistol and has since been hard chromed and will never be sold. I'll probably end up with a Dan Wesson for carry at some point.

Feedback Score
    I think it's a case of a nice feed ramp, along with the proper recoil spring. Another thing is I believe there has been more attention to designing 9 MM magazines that feed properly. I have both the Springfield Target 9 MM, and a Rock Island Armory G.I. 9 MM. Both run with 100% reliability with most any ammunition. Both of these guns cover the cost spectrum from low to high in 9 MM 1911 pistols.

Feedback Score
    I've had very good luck with a full-sized Dan Wesson PM-9. Looks great and runs perfectly!

Feedback Score
    I've had no issues with Checkmate and Metalform when it comes to 9mm 1911's.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I didn't want to start another thread but does someone know where I can buy mags for my Colt CCU CCO? I'm looking for the ones with the pad like it came with. With the magwell I'd prefer those as it's not a CCW piece. Thanks.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Who makes a solidly reliable commander sized, LW 9mm?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    I didn't want to start another thread but does someone know where I can buy mags for my Colt CCU CCO? I'm looking for the ones with the pad like it came with. With the magwell I'd prefer those as it's not a CCW piece. Thanks.
    I'd check with either Gun Mag Warehouse &/or Dawson Precision. That said, Tripp Research, Wilson Combat & Chip McCormack are among my personal favorites.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had a Colt 5” 9mm for 20 yrs.... dicked around with it a Lot due to malfs...and learned a lot of 1911 ... it really Never run right. Did hammers, Sears, extractors... still hit or miss.... Then I tried Wilson 9mm mags.... That single change made the gun run and Run regardless of my reloads.... 115gr... 124 ... 147gr LTC. It just runs with Wilson mags!!!! And mine are the first 9mm 10rnd variants!!!!!

H
    Last edited by hoveyh; 10-25-19 at 22:41. Reason: My crappy spelling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveOak View Post
    Who makes a solidly reliable commander sized, LW 9mm?
    Dan Wesson does. At a lower price point I would recommend the Ruger.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast