Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

I'm seriously eyeing one of Colt's new LW Commanders in 9mm. What are your experiences in getting single stack 9mm 1911s to run? Please include mods needed, prices involved, etc.

Thanks!
    Last edited by opngrnd; 01-11-16 at 20:17. Reason: Clarification...

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    What are your experiences in getting single stack 1911s to run? Please include mods needed, prices involved, etc.

Thanks!
    Good mags, poor mag quality plagued 9mm 1911s for years. I'm currently using both Wilson and Metalform in my SA Range Officer; both brands of mags have been 100% reliable. I have done no mods for reliability just things I prefer for performance like a trigger job, ambi-safety, FO front sight and mag well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    From all accounts they are very reliable. I am old school, and reload, so would go .38 Super, but no worries on the Colt 9MM's.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Super Dave Harrington uses one specifically for his classes.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

I have an older Colt MKIV 9mm government. It is a picky eater when it comes to hollow points. Magazines have not made a difference. Some ammo works, some does not. I just installed an EGW higher magazine release but have not tested it.

Otherwise, it is a dream to shoot, and it is reliable with even cheap aluminum cases blazer fmj. I guess it is destined to be a competition gun.

I have a new Colt Commander 9mm on layaway and am second guessing the choice.
    Last edited by Kyohte; 01-10-16 at 22:47.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I picked up one of the S&W Pro Shop 1911 auto's in 9mm last year and it runs like a champ.
    Not picky on magazines and the external extractor never fails with any thing, even steel case.
    Last edited by lowprone; 01-11-16 at 00:06.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm interested in one myself... how are these things to suppress?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prdubi View Post
    Super Dave Harrington uses one specifically for his classes.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Can you clarify this? Mr Harrington is not an average consumer and knows the platform well. Is he running a box stock pistol, a few kitchen table/easy add ons or a full blown custom?

OP, are you looking at this purchase as a range toy, compition/game gun or a duty/ccw? Intended round count? We mainly hear the good about 9mm pistols, never the first 1-2K slide lock reload feedway jams, the FTRB ect... The 9mm can be a wet dream and a fickle bastard.

I have a couple of concerns on this model. I haven't seen the spec nor one in person so I'm putting this out there based on their previous products.

1. Non-ramped barrel. The basic design is around the 45 ACP which generally runs 16-22K PSI. The 9mm is in the 30-37.5K range. As usual, for longevity or fit, match all three radial lugs then fit for hood length which should keep the head space from growing. Carbon steel is alittle more forgiving in potential of sheared lugs.

2. Alloy frame. Kinda hand and hand with one. Without the barrel feedramp, wear and tear on an anodized ally surface. Have they upgraded as Ruger is doing. Heard they were putting a Ti or steel insert in on the feedrap of their ally frames. Life expectancy of an alloy frame is 20-25 K

3. Commander slide... kinda a plus (lighter weight ups slide speed but again is a detractor since it narrows the operating window. 9mm guns with government slides can be slugish exspecially when new until mating surfaces wear in (6-2k rds). This is the why alot of game gun slides go on a diet to lower the cycling mass. Commander slides are lighter, a plus but; in the same reduce the operating window for extraction and feeding. This will heighten the workload of mag springs ect...

Expect problems with some type of ammo, i.e. Remington UMC.

If you find factory mags problematic, look at Metal Form Springfield style mags or Wilson ETMs. I had problems with ETMs until the moving parts seated and the mag springs took initial set.

Not to sound critcal but my experiance of getting a scratch built 9mm to run RELIABLY makes a scratch built 45 acp seem like plug n play. It was a long road of tuning, tweaking and balancing springs but I'm there and happy with the final result. Do I have to worry about problems with it, no. Would I take it into harms way, not if I had access to o e of my other self built 45s.

If your heart is set on the Colt and you have the discretionary $ go for it. If you have problems seek out a good smith familiar with the 9 or a few comp shooters running a good box stock 9.

I've heard, seen and shot a few Springfield entries in the 9mm arena. I think they are a better product because they have been catering to the 9mm crowd continuously for 10 plus years and not yea we'll get in and outta the market as Colt has. I'd also look at STI, they have peaked my interest with their Trojan.

If your having feedway jambs consistantly, move straight to the Springfield mags. If it doesn't smooth out try the EGW raised mag release. For FTRB look at springs and extractor tuning stnd 1911 stuff. Problems with extraction, check clocking, tune for function or try the Aftec. The biggest problem I had was slide speed and parts wear in.
    Last edited by Ttwwaack; 01-11-16 at 02:58. Reason: Add mods

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I picked up a Dan Wesson ECO 9mm after shooting Mike Pannone's at a Covert Carry class. At the time I believe he said he had around 7k on the gun with no issues and some pretty long durations between cleaning. The only mods he noted were a magwell and ambi-safety. I did not note the mags he was using.

Mine has around 1500 rounds through it now with no issues using Blazer aluminum, WinClean, my own reloads, and 124g Gold Dot (standard and +P). I have used factory DW, Wilson, and Tripp mags without any problems, though I did have to (very slightly) open up the slot for the mag catch on one of the Wilson mags. The pistol has run like a champ and is very well made with a lot of nice features.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I'm seriously eyeing one of Colt's new LW Commanders in 9mm. What are your experiences in getting single stack 1911s to run? Please include mods needed, prices involved, etc.

Thanks!
    I think you are better off just using the 9mm Commander as a fun gun and buy another gun for your actual defensive pistol needs. The 9mm M1911 is a range toy/ gamer gun and IMO is not worth spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars to get one to run well.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast