Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My Dan Wesson Valor has been spot on. I love the straight eight sights ......nice gun.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The DWs are a lot of gun for the money.

As a longtime 1911 snob I’d always steered clear of them, until that day-
    that I shot and detail stripped one.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Feed reliability is good enough to bet on 'em these days.

The only thing that I have problems with is partial mag reloads. The top round partially feeds and the mags don't want to drop. The top round has a tendency to pop partway out on reloads causing the mag to not insert.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Feed reliability is good enough to bet on 'em these days.

The only thing that I have problems with is partial mag reloads. The top round partially feeds and the mags don't want to drop. The top round has a tendency to pop partway out on reloads causing the mag to not insert.
    Yep. Seen this with a variety of mags and doesn't seem exclusive to one brand or another.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    I'm just gonna go ahead an bump this.

What are the thought on the Dan Wesson TCP?

I searched and found little, but just handled one at the local shop a couple hours ago. It was difficult to walk away. DW seems very highly regarded and I'm about ready to make the plunge. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    No experience with the TCP Model.

I have 3 DW Commanders, all have been problem free.

The TCP has; Bull barrel, alloy frame, rail.

In 9mm it will be exceptionally soft shooting.

The alloy frame on a range gun/high rd. count 1911 is usually not recommended.
    The DWs have ramped barrels, so chewing up the frame feed ramp won’t be an issue.

If it checks your boxes I wouldn’t be afraid of it.
    Last edited by gaijin; 12-20-19 at 18:47.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The alloy frame on a range gun/high rd. count 1911 is usually not recommended
    So I think this is my primary concern. Reading their website, replacement for the guide rod spring is 15,000 rounds for the .45 version. That is 3x what Glock is for Gen 4 plus. I'm wishful thinking thinking that this B will be reliable for a long time. Especially in 9mm.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    In a 1911 a 9mm is easier on the gun/frame than a .45 ACP, particularly in a Commander size gun.

There are a couple things you can due to slow, or “soften” slide velocity.
    Increase Main Spring weight. (No free lunch, this will increase pull weight some)
    Install a “Flat Bottom Firing Pin Stop”. It was in JMBs original design, but a substantially radiused FPS was substituted when troops started bitching about the slide being “ too difficult to rack”. (Cock the effing hammer first.)
    It works.

Still, personally I’d stick with a steel frame in a high rd. count gun.
    My alloy frame 1911s are occasional range and carry guns.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314