Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm eyeing on a rock island 1911 9mm for the wife. She can't do big polymer guns, now double action due to her hand strength, and others are too hard to rack. Tried on several pistols yesterday and the Rock Island was the only full size she liked except the weight.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    I'm eyeing on a rock island 1911 9mm for the wife. She can't do big polymer guns, now double action due to her hand strength, and others are too hard to rack. Tried on several pistols yesterday and the Rock Island was the only full size she liked except the weight.
    My wife also has some physical issues which - like mine - aren't improving with age. After a LOT of trying/buying/selling handguns, my wife's favorite centerfire handgun so far is a Springfield Armory 9mm RO Elite Compact. I am not a fan of aluminum-framed pistols or bull barrels/FLGRs, but I have to admit that I don't hate this one.

Runner-up in consideration after renting both was the Ruger SR1911 9mm Lightweight Commander-Style, but the LGS had the Springer in stock at the right moment.

(Her favorite handgun is acually a Ruger SR22, but a centerfire it ain't. It is lightweight but recoils little, is easy to rack, easy to clean, and the magazines are a snap for her to reload. The LGS sells a lot of them to people who have hand/upper body strength issues.)

toc

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theorangecat View Post
    Runner-up in consideration after renting both was the Ruger SR1911 9mm Lightweight Commander-Style, but the LGS had the Springer in stock at the right moment.
    One thing about the Ruger design that has always been a good idea is the integral plunger tube. That is a potential point of failure on a 1911 that they have eliminated. Even a staked and well attached plunger tube on a traditional 1911 needs to just be checked as a maintenance item somewhere in the 3K-10K rounds range, more info here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    One thing about the Ruger design that has always been a good idea is the integral plunger tube. That is a potential point of failure on a 1911 that they have eliminated. Even a staked and well attached plunger tube on a traditional 1911 needs to just be checked as a maintenance item somewhere in the 3K-10K rounds range, more info here.
    Caspian has been offering that option for years...……………….it is a good idea

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mmAR15 View Post
    Caspian has been offering that option for years...……………….it is a good idea
    Ruger makes the castings for Caspian so it would make sense they carry the integral plunger tube into production.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Ruger makes the castings for Caspian so it would make sense they carry the integral plunger tube into production.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Ive used a couple of Caspian Frames and slides over the years...…….Good quality Frames and their CS is awesome...….....custom work turnaround was acceptable...…...this was prolly 10 years ago......I was bitten by the "build your own 1911" bug......I did everything in 9mm as there was not that many offerings 10-15 years ago...…..I would love to do a CCO commander slide on an officer frame......all stainless...bead blasted matte.....my patience and eyes not what they used to be...….

Feedback Score
    I’ve never had an issue with any of my 9mm Wilson 1911s. I have always used their etm mags and factory American Eagle ammo.

Feedback Score
    Well this thread and others like it cost me about a grand. I’ve always been happy with my Browning HiPower but no I had to keep reading about 9mm 1911s. Then two weeks ago I find a Kimber Stainless II at a small gun shop that’s $100 cheaper than the Springfield Armory RO or Ruger SR1911 that I’d been considering. Ordered 10 round magazines from McCormick and then more from Brownell’s. Bought a bunch of Winchester 9mm “NATO” 124gr ammo from Walmart.

Two range sessions and an IDPA-ish match later it hasn’t missed a beat except that it won’t reliably fire some of my reloads using S&B primers. The Winchester stuff works just fine, hits at the tip of the front sight at 25 yards. Feeds Speer 125gr +P Gold Dots 100% though I intend this gun to be a range toy, cheaper to shoot and saving wear and tear on my 10mm SR1911.

FWIW The Brownell’s magazines appear to be identical to the McCormick mags except they are coated black.

I believe this is going to be fun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Without reading the entire thread, an alloy framed 1911 reguardless of caliber for a moderate to high use destiny should require a ramped barrel to preclude feedramp damage of the frame from rounds striking it and wearing away the anodizing. Springfield has a good rep as a pioneer in the 9mm 1911. Colt has quality bones but generally run a standard non-ramped barrel on their 9s.
    I know I should just keep my mouth shut and smile, but what fun is that?

Feedback Score
    The new STIs are bring a strong game at reasonable price.
    And new STI mags at $45 for doublestack mags these valuable for most shooters. And with the simple and better trigger system these are much easier to shoot accurately.
    https://youtu.be/Z1-20a6vROo
    Last edited by dodge37; 08-26-19 at 09:37.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast