Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    After 40+ years of shooting only Colt 1911s in .45 Auto, last month I purchased a Colt Combat Unit in 9mm mostly after listening to Ken Hackathorn's reasoning on the capability of a 1911 shooting modern 9mm loads.

After limited shooting, I must say I agree. The 1911 in 9mm is a great pistol. Mine has been 100% reliable so far, even with bulk Federal 115 gr. and the shooting characteristics of a 1911 chambered in 9mm are very nice.

The improvements in 9mm bullet design and loading makes the old .45 vs. 9mm debate pretty much a moot point these days.
    Last edited by CAR; 10-12-19 at 07:17.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Im glad your CCU in 9mm works well. Mine does as well, and I love it. It made me like shooting 1911s again so much I bought a Nighthawk in 9mm as well.
    Kiowa pilot turned Hooker.

Feedback Score
    Ha! I spoke too soon. I was out shooting my 9mm Combat Unit over the weekend and I had 1 stovepipe. I was shooting Wal Mart Federal 115 gr. value pack (I keep a lot of the Federal 115 gr. on hand as it is a good load to use in my old WWII vintage 9mm surplus pistols).

I think the Combat Unit 9mm is sprung just a tad heavy for the light loads, but this pistol was not made for light loads, it is a combat pistol. I will shoot full power loads in it from now on.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I removed the factory double spring, and installed a Wolff 10lb recoil spring. I also added a touch of extractor tension as my ejection was right into my face sometimes. The gun shoots softer and runs like a top now (well, its always ran well).
    Kiowa pilot turned Hooker.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Taurus is offering a 9mm Commander now. Might be an option for those on a tight budget and/or wanting more of a beater grade pistol.

I have owned a couple Taurus Government models over the years and have had good luck with them. They are a little rough with crude checkering but they seem to run. That's the main thing.

I assume the new Taurus would benefit from Tripp or Wilson mags just like the other 9mm 1911s on the market.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Speaking only from the competition side of the house, my Dan Wesson PM-9 (not exaggerating) recoils like a .22 with my hand loads which are 147gr Blue Bullets/2.9-3.0gn Alliant Sport Pistol. I switched to a 9lb recoil spring but other than that the gun is factory.

From my experience and that of others, a 9mm 1911 needs a ramped barrel for reliability and spring weight is less forgiving compared to a .45 variant.

Feedback Score
    I shot my Kimber Stainless II enough to be interested in 9mm 1911 pistols. Then found a 9mm Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander size pistol at a decent price at a LGS. It went home with me.

It had a 10# recoil spring and you could almost watch the slide cycle like a .gif on 1911’s. I only shoot 124gr ball or +P jhp ammo in a carry gun, so it got a 14# Wolfe spring. The sights were 6” high at 25 yards, so we went to Novak’s for a taller front sight with an orange ring around a tritium insert. Now it’s an inch high at 25 yards. And the rubberish grips were replaced with Magpul TSP grips that fit my hand better.

With @400 rounds thru it I’ve only had one malfunction. I let the slide hit the top of a window during an IDPA match. Otherwise it has been flawless. Bullets go where I aim them, empty brass lands at 4:00 @ 4 feet behind me (not in the center of my forehead like every .45 Commander I ever owned) and with a good belt and holster I forget I’m carrying the little gun.

The only drawback is I let my wife shoot it, I may need a second one...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1911's in 9mm normally need more tuning than .45ACP to get them running just right, and a ramped barrel is in most builds these days. The 9mm issues are mostly magazines, ammo, and then extractor tuning/tension....normally in that order. They have the potential for stellar accuracy, and are soft shooting compared to 230 grain .45ACP hardball ammo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAR View Post
    Ha! I spoke too soon. I was out shooting my 9mm Combat Unit over the weekend and I had 1 stovepipe. I was shooting Wal Mart Federal 115 gr. value pack (I keep a lot of the Federal 115 gr. on hand as it is a good load to use in my old WWII vintage 9mm surplus pistols).

I think the Combat Unit 9mm is sprung just a tad heavy for the light loads, but this pistol was not made for light loads, it is a combat pistol. I will shoot full power loads in it from now on.
    In my great .38 super experiment I played with light springs with a light load and a heavier load, heavier springs and light loads and higher velocity loads. Light spring with a light load did recoil nicely but I ran into stoppages [failure to go into battery] once the gun got dirty, in my estimation not enough push from the spring to strip a round. Failure to extract fully also happened with the lighter loads when dirty with almost any spring weight. I concluded that for me the best combination for reliable function under all conditions was a 124/5 gr bullet @ around 1200 fps or greater. This with a #15 Wilson flatwire spring. I also started using a medium speed powder VV N340.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DD_USMC View Post
    1911's in 9mm normally need more tuning than .45ACP to get them running just right, and a ramped barrel is in most builds these days. The 9mm issues are mostly magazines, ammo, and then extractor tuning/tension....normally in that order. They have the potential for stellar accuracy, and are soft shooting compared to 230 grain .45ACP hardball ammo.
    This is on the money.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast