Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am down to two 9mm 1911s. One is a Springfield Armory R.O. and the other a Rock Island Armory Tactical. The RIA require extractor adjustment and a new barrel bushing before it shot to my standards. I fired a few thousand rounds through each of them in 2015 and both of them run reliably.

Good magazines are a must, but that is the case with almost any handgun.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have a DW Pointman 9 that has several thousand rounds through it. I use Dawson Precision mags in it. I've had the occasional failure to feed from slide lock with 147 grain lead flat points (takes a tap to the back of the slide to finish feeding. 147gr fmj, XTP's and Zero JHP's are 100%.

I'll eventually get a DW Guardian (bobbed LW 4.25") for carry, but I'm going to get one with both 9mm & .38 Super barrels. Carry will be with .38 Super.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prdubi View Post
    Super Dave Harrington uses one specifically for his classes.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Can you clarify this? Mr Harrington is not an average consumer and knows the platform well. Is he running a box stock pistol, a few kitchen table/easy add ons or a full blown custom?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Dave uses a Pistol Dynamics ( Paul Liebenberg ) Super Scout 9mm , FAR from a kitchen built project pistol.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    ToddG from pistol-training is apparently now rocking a full-house custom 9mm 1911 LW commander as his carry gun.

One of the guys local to me has played with 9mm 1911s, too, and really, really likes the concept. Per him - and as others in this thread are saying - it seems the key is good magazines. But even with good magazines, they can be a money sink. Otherwise, we wouldn't have two major instructors rocking custom 9mm 1911s.

(I believe that LAV, Ken Hackathorn, and Steve Fisher all use 9mm 1911s built by semi-custom production houses (Wilson, Wilson, and Nighthawk respectively) but to the best of my knowledge Ken and Larry only use theirs for training. Per RECOIL's CCW magazine, Steve does carry his 9mm 1911.)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    ToddG from pistol-training is apparently now rocking a full-house custom 9mm 1911 LW commander as his carry gun.

One of the guys local to me has played with 9mm 1911s, too, and really, really likes the concept. Per him - and as others in this thread are saying - it seems the key is good magazines. But even with good magazines, they can be a money sink. Otherwise, we wouldn't have two major instructors rocking custom 9mm 1911s.

(I believe that LAV, Ken Hackathorn, and Steve Fisher all use 9mm 1911s built by semi-custom production houses (Wilson, Wilson, and Nighthawk respectively) but to the best of my knowledge Ken and Larry only use theirs for training. Per RECOIL's CCW magazine, Steve does carry his 9mm 1911.)
    Frank proctor rocks a 9mm cqb with light rail and a sti marauder 9mm. Recently stating the marauder has become his favorite gun.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
    From all accounts they are very reliable. I am old school, and reload, so would go .38 Super, but no worries on the Colt 9MM's.
    I would love this in 38 Super, but Colt isn't offering one right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Ttwwaack View Post
    OP, are you looking at this purchase as a range toy, compition/game gun or a duty/ccw? Intended round count? We mainly hear the good about 9mm pistols, never the first 1-2K slide lock reload feedway jams, the FTRB ect... The 9mm can be a wet dream and a fickle bastard.
    I would be looking at this purchase as a CCW alternate, provided it meets the following:

1-Sent it to Wilson Combat for Reliability Package and Bullet Proof Extractor, FP Stop, Barrel Bushing
    2-Will run reliably with ball ammo, esp reloads, and at least one obtainable SD load(124+P Gold Dot, etc)
    3-It'd probably get a few thousand rounds per year. I'd happily own more than one to spread out the wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    I picked up a Dan Wesson ECO 9mm after shooting Mike Pannone's at a Covert Carry class. At the time I believe he said he had around 7k on the gun with no issues and some pretty long durations between cleaning. The only mods he noted were a magwell and ambi-safety. I did not note the mags he was using.

Mine has around 1500 rounds through it now with no issues using Blazer aluminum, WinClean, my own reloads, and 124g Gold Dot (standard and +P). I have used factory DW, Wilson, and Tripp mags without any problems, though I did have to (very slightly) open up the slot for the mag catch on one of the Wilson mags. The pistol has run like a champ and is very well made with a lot of nice features.
    I've seen Pannone's ECO in person and was rather impressed. It's just a hair smaller than what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 01-11-16 at 20:35. Reason: spelling...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All of mine run/ran like a champ. Extractor tweaking, correct spring w/ load, and good mags are what you wanna look out for.

I'll probably go 2011 9mm next.

Feedback Score

Cool

I recently picked up a Colt Commander and have had a couple of mag issues such as one being hard to release but use and a little lube helped that. I have replaced the springs and followers with Wilson kits but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I also have a Wison MSH to replace the Colt "plastic" one but that is simply a matter of personal preference not of failure. Also, the grips have been replaced with VZs.
    Last edited by wetidlerjr; 02-28-16 at 06:18.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    I recently picked up a Colt Commander and have had a couple of mag issues such as one being hard to release but use and a little lube helped that. I have replaced the springs and followers with Wilson kits but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I also have a Wison MSH to replace the Colt "plastic" one but that is simply a matter of personal preference not of failure. Also, the grips have been replaced with VZs.

Which caliber? Nice looking pistol.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Which caliber? Nice looking pistol.
    If 9mm, how has your experience with personal defense ammo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast