Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had two, both Springfield's. Both required warranty work which was painless and completely satisfying. Both ran flawlessly, the warranty work was not for function. I got rid of them to fund some other project that I don't even remember. Currently I have a Colt Government in .38 SA which also runs great. I've fed it factory, underpowered reloads and over powered reloads. It handles them all. With the 9mm I used Springfield's ramped magazines. In the Colt I use Wilson, Mec-gar, Colt and some other well thought of brand whose name escapes me.. All work.

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Which caliber? Nice looking pistol.
    Thread: 9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    I had a Springfield 9mm 1911. Had too many feeding/magazine issues so I sold it off.

Went and bought an FN Hi-Power and never looked back. It was designed as a 9mm and runs better than a 9mm 1911, if you ask me.

If you like the 1911...chances are you will like the Hi-Power. I always suggest a Hi-Power to those that want a single action 9mm pistol - it is really the best of the breed.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I've had STI, Wilson Combat, and Springfield Custom 9mm 1911s.

Fun to shoot but would NOT stake my life on one. Toy guns IMO.

Feedback Score
    I have two 9mm 1911's, both Dan Wessons', an ECO and a Guardian, both have run without issue with FMJ, more than an occasional jam with HP's, great fun guns and exceedingly accurate. My EDC is a glock 19 though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    ToddG from pistol-training is apparently now rocking a full-house custom 9mm 1911 LW commander as his carry gun.
    Todd's gun was built by Jason Burton. Probably a big factor in the reliability area.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have two commander size 1911's in 9mm. Here is an STI Lawman 4.0. It is not truly a commander, as it has a government length dust cover, and has longer slide travel to the rear. With full discloser, Richard Heinie is my shooting partner, and he does a feed ramp mod that really improves reliability of the gun. This is my favorite 1911 to shoot, has been to two Larry Vickers classes, and runs flawlessly with any ammo, and Wilson 10 round mags.
    "Illinois, where political corruption is not just a way of life, it is the state motto".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MAP View Post
    Todd's gun was built by Jason Burton. Probably a big factor in the reliability area.
    JB puts out a superlative product.

Barring a $6K custom shop build, I'm also interested in a 9mm 1911, but a 5" barrel and steel frame due to the recoil mitigation - a range toy in other words. And, if it proved reliable, it may be considered for a SD role.

Not one meaning to jump on the latest toy, but the SA Range Officer Operator looks like it would fit the bill quite nicely - and, hey, only announced today, so what do I know?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got a full custom Colt Commander 9mm in the works being built by ACW.

Got a case of ammo ready to torture that bad boy when it comes back. I'm thinkin with what we've got planned out for it, it'll be a mighty fine shooter.

(I've got a hunch Commanders work a smidge better than Gov't size with some tweaks).

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I have a Rock Island 9mm Tac 2 full size with a little over 1500 rds through it so far. It's my first 1911 so I don't have any other experience to do pair this gun to but so far it has been good. I have put as many different ammo types I could through it. It has shot 147gr gold dot, 147gr HST standard and +p, and 147gr XTP. It has also shot Tula, wolf, and brown bear for steel cased and it has run handloaded 125gr coated lead, 124gr plated. I have used the factory Metalform 10rd and a Springfield 9 rd magazine. Looking to get some Mec gar 10rd mags shortly. Overall it has been a good go except for the grip screw coming loose. Nothing some locktite didn't fix

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast