Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911 experiences wanted...

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAP View Post
    Todd's gun was built by Jason Burton. Probably a big factor in the reliability area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    JB puts out a superlative product.

Barring a $6K custom shop build, I'm also interested in a 9mm 1911, but a 5" barrel and steel frame due to the recoil mitigation - a range toy in other words. And, if it proved reliable, it may be considered for a SD role.

Not one meaning to jump on the latest toy, but the SA Range Officer Operator looks like it would fit the bill quite nicely - and, hey, only announced today, so what do I know?
    I'm pretty sure that TG's Heirloom Commander was closer to $8K....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crusader377 View Post
    I think you are better off just using the 9mm Commander as a fun gun and buy another gun for your actual defensive pistol needs. The 9mm M1911 is a range toy/ gamer gun and IMO is not worth spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars to get one to run well.
    Where does the internet come up with this stuff? Do you even own a 1911, let alone one in 9mm?

I personally have two that run as reliable as any other pistol I own, including a couple Glocks.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've owned several 9mm 1911's. Imo its just one of those pistols you need to spend more on to be built by a quality smith/company.

I have owned a DW PM9 and for the money it was really nice, no major issues for me. I have around 6k through that pistol with very few minor problems, if any... May have had 1 failure to feed...

I've owned 3 Wilson 9mm 2cqb's and an xtac... All ran flawlessly and would say this is the most reliable and affordable route if you want something to stake your life on... I've also had one NH in 9mm, same experience with them. Not one issue.

I have two full custom 1911s that are 9mm with 38 super comp barrel swaps... Those are something a little different and amazing. Granted those both ran 6k and 9k so, we are not comparing apples to apples.
    Last edited by cundiff5535; 01-22-16 at 05:08.

Feedback Score
    My experience with the 1911 chambered in 9mm is as follows:

Dan Wesson ECO. I bought this when DW(Dan Wesson) first introduced this model. At first I was a bit disappointed with it. During the first 350 rounds it would rarely make it through a full magazine without having numerous failures to feed. I contacted DW and they quickly sent a return label. I got it back in 10-12 days, took it to the range, and same issues for the next 300 rounds. Contacted DW again, they immediately sent a return label, had it back in my hands within 10 days. Since the second trip it has run perfectly. 115 and 124 grain hollow points or FMJ, doesn't make a difference, it shoots them all well. DW claims that the recoil spring will last for 15,000 or so rounds; hopefully I will find out if this is so. If I had only one 9mm 1911, this might be it.

Colt New Agent This is one of the Talo versions with the XO sights. This has proven to be another reliable pistol with 115 and 124 grain hollow point or FMJ ammo. Probably due to the sights I cannot shoot this one as accurately as the previously mentioned ECO. To me a minor downside is that the recoil spring system has to be replaced every 500 to 1500 rounds.

Dan Wesson Pointman 9 This has proven to be another pleasant shooting experience. A few return to battery failures were experienced during the first 200 rounds, but has been smooth sailing ever since. While the factory mags have worked just fine, I usually run it with Tripp Research mags.

Guncrafter CCO My example is the steel frame version. Shoots 115 and 124 grain hollow points and FMJ without any problems. I really like this pistol but will admit that I should have bought the alloy frame version. Why? I bought this for concealed carry and the lighter weight would have suited my purposes better. Another thing to consider is that my example will only function well with the Guncrafter mags. Not a deal breaker for me, but something to be considered.
    Last edited by MacFord125; 05-10-16 at 08:44.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Own a few and shot many 9mm 1911s as range toys and for competition. The ONLY one I would and have trusted as a carry gun is the SA EMP 9mm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My full size Colt 1911 9mm has been running without fail for 4 years: ball, hp's, various reloads with cast bullets. It's 100 % stock with no tweaking. I use Dawson mags exclusively but had no issue with Colt mags.

Feedback Score
    I run the STI Lawman 4.0 for off duty and alot of training. I use all wilson mags. I have done nothing to it but shoot and clean it and have had zero issues. I ran it for a proctor class and we blasted 1400 rounds in two days (If you have taken one of Franks classes you know what I'm saying). Not one issue. I can also consistently hit out to 100 yards on a standard B-C zone USPSA sized steel target. 8k rounds through it so far. (Standard TAS sights)

I also run the STI Marauder (Double stack 2011). The larger mags can hold 26 rounds on 9mm and I run it hard and have not had an issue yet. 4k rounds through it so far.

Disclaimer: I love my G19 and have used it for training and fun for years. When I purchased the Lawman 4.0 2 years ago and was so blown away by the quality it was hard for me to put down.

I have compared the slide to frame fit to complete custom 1911's and the STI is on par if not better in come cases. They make more than just race guns JMHO
    Last edited by DmULibroles; 01-31-16 at 21:18. Reason: miswording

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i just made my own and its ready for a fresh coat of graphite black. no screw ups after 10 mags of testing and shoots like peter north on a chick's face. ��bobtail 9mm 01.jpg��

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    In related 9mm 1911 news, Wilson Combat's Vickers magazines are now available in 9mm (and the ETM in 38 Super.) I'm pretty happy about the 38 Super being added to the ETM lineup.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but here it is anyway. I've carried Glocks for the last 18 years, but I wanted a 9mm 1911 as a fun / IDPA gun. I also didn't want to sink a lot into it. I went with a Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced 9mm. When I got it home I checked the extractor to find there was none. When I removed the extractor I found that the doofuses at Remington had built the thing with a .45 extractor. I tuned and fitted a Wilson 9mm extractor for the gun, and the dang thing has been a tack driver from the first shot. On it's first outing I put 250 rounds through it consisting of my various hand loads, factory loads, steel cased liquor coated trash, and hollow points. Firing cadence was relatively fast and it was 100% with the factory 9 round mags and Tripps 10 round Cobra mags. It's only been out with me a couple of times thus far, but it has yet to stutter. I've been quite impressed.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast