Thread: Don't know what I have

Feedback Score

Don't know what I have

Can anybody tell me what the manufacturer of this rifle is? It's a bishop stock chambered in .308 norma

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It looks like a customized US M1917 rifle. Some M1917 rifles were made in Canada and imported to the U.S., so that's a possibility.
    Last edited by T2C; 02-21-16 at 20:27.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    It looks like a customized US M1917 rifle. Some M1917 rifles were made in Canada and imported to the U.S., so that's a possibility.

You are correct sir. Stupid me. Just took the optic off and tada there it is. Do you know a value on these by chance.

Thank you

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    US Rifle, Cal 30, M1917

CMP sold them and continues to sell a few each year.

Remington produced this pattern rifle for the British beginning in 1914 in cal, .303. Springfield Armory could not produce the Model of 1903 quickly enough to fill US Government orders so Remington did a brief retool in order to produce the rifle in US '30-06 caliber.

I have read that more of these rifles went to Europe than did the '03 Springfield. Regardless of total numbers, Remington produced the rifle in great numbers.

I have seen SN0001 of this rifle in David Condon's shop in Middleburg, VA. The story behind that rifle was it's transfer from the POTUS to LTC William Donovan. It was a pretty cool piece of history that was well outside of my price range.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The value on an original M1917 is $600-$800 in my area. A customized M1917 like the one you purchased is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. It's worth less to someone who collects and shoots military surplus rifles.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It looks like a nice old school military conversion, the 1917's were popular for these magnum cartridges because of long action and strength.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all. It is part of an inheritance from my grandfather along with a wwII german mauser k98 and an hk usp40c. I will keep the mauser and try to sell the other two. Again, thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    In the 60s and 70s, it was very popular to buy a cheap surplus M1917 or 03 Springfield and have a smith sporterize it into a custom deer rifle.

Back then, my father bought an 03 Springfield for about 75 bucks at Woolworth's Dept Store in downtown Houston and had a smith do a conversion very similar to what you have. His has a Bishop stock that is very similar. I used this converted 03 Springfield as my first deer rifle, when I was a teenager and Dad willed it to me later on. In 30-06, the thing has taken God knows how many deer and pigs and I still have it today, at age 50!

I'd hang on to it and shoot it. It might surprise you how accurate it is. The M1917 action was very strong and I actually liked it's bolt set up to the flimsy 2 piece firing pin set up of the 03 Springer. The M1917 also cocks on closing - making it much faster to cycle than the M1903 rifle.

You have a nice treasure there....enjoy it!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The main thing that governs the value of this rifle will be how well the smith handled the receiver bridge. The military rifles had two enormous ears that protected the rear sight, and the sight itself sat in a large cutout in the receiver bridge. To mount a scope on these rifles, the ears have to be ground off and the cutout filled in, then the bridge drilled and tapped for the mounts. If this work was done well, then the bridge will be smooth, with two holes for the scope base, and it will look like the bridge on a typical sporting rifle. These rifles command more money than the ones where this work was done badly--holes drilled off center, rough welds, uneven grinding, etc.

If you hunt, then I wouldn't be too quick to sell this rifle. IIRC, it's a pretty minor job to rechamber a 308 Norma to 300 Winchester Magnum, leaving you with a perfectly serviceable 300 WM for less than $100. The M1917 action is also a superb choice if you want to build a rifle chambered for an African cartridge like the 375 H&H or 416 Rigby--it's long enough and the metallurgy is absolutely first-rate. Cost can be a prohibitive, though.

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    Keep it and use it! I've got a M1917 that was my grandfather's as well. It's chambered in .30-06 and has been sporterized like yours. It's my understanding that unless they're left in original condition, they're really not worth all that much. However, my barrel was manufactured in March 1918 and it's still a tack driver. I use it every deer season, over my much newer and lighter Remingtons because I can feel a connection with the past and it feels a bit like my grandfather is still there hunting with me. It drops a deer every year. A few years ago, I dropped one at 340 with one shot, using the fixed 4x Weaver scope my grandpa had on it, no issues at all (I have since updated the scope). Enjoy that piece of history!