Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPR-ish build questions

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

SPR-ish build questions

I'm working on my third build, but 4th AR rifle. My first was a Noveske N4 light 16" carbine with an ACOG and a Sionics built lower, my second was a 14.5" Faxon/Aero, my third a 16" pistol length 300BLK Aero, and now I'm on my fourth. Aside from my first lower being a Sionics, all three others are Aero and all four have the Vitor A5 system.

I wanted to make something different and I found a killer deal on a Faxon 18" SOCOM rifle length barrel and a 15" KMR. I initially had not bothered to research 18" barrels until I had bought this one. After hitting the search function pretty hard for a day or so, I found the MK12 Modx SPR (info was everywhere). On the wiki page, it tells a very detailed and informative history. So I began to think about building an SPR around my 18" barrel. However, it seems that the only differences between an SPR and a tactical carbine are the stainless barrel, a suppressor, and optics choices. And at that, it seems that everything else is not very different than anyone would do for a 16" or 14.5" carbine. I even see people calling their REECE style 16" rifles SPR's.

With the exception of the suppressor, I have it all ready to go. My concern is mainly this: is it going to be a big deal that my barrel is not stainless (will I be sad shooting 77gr SMK's -mk262-out to 600yds)? And what really defines an SPR with so many variables?

I hope this makes sense.
    It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It doesn't seem like you are wanting to build a Mk12 clone, so I wouldn't worry about it. Build and enjoy your "spr-ish" 18" rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    It doesn't seem like you are wanting to build a Mk12 clone, so I wouldn't worry about it. Build and enjoy your "spr-ish" 18" rifle.
    Pretty much this. As long as you know if is not a 'true' clone and are not trying to pass it off as such, there's nothing to really worry about. I myself just got done building an SPR-ish or 'inspired' AR last month.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The FNG View Post
    With the exception of the suppressor, I have it all ready to go. My concern is mainly this: is it going to be a big deal that my barrel is not stainless (will I be sad shooting 77gr SMK's -mk262-out to 600yds)? And what really defines an SPR with so many variables?

I hope this makes sense.
    No, it will not be a significant difference in terms of performance and the 4150 barrel will last longer than the stainless.

Enjoy the rifle and please send us some photos when it is built!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The FNG View Post
    Specifically, it'd have to be a clone of an existing issued SPR build. More leniently, it's a precision AR with an 18" stainless steel free-floated barrel.

Does it really matter? No. But if you want to be correct (like calling a semi-auto AR-15 an AR and not an M4), you don't technically have an SPR.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Specifically, it'd have to be a clone of an existing issued SPR build. More leniently, it's a precision AR with an 18" stainless steel free-floated barrel.

Does it really matter? No. But if you want to be correct (like calling a semi-auto AR-15 an AR and not an M4), you don't technically have an SPR.
    I can live with that

Waiting on a few small parts to come in the mail, then I will post pics. I'm really excited for this one. I've got Nightforce glass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ok, I got tired of waiting for my new upper to get here, so I tore apart my 300BLK build to get this one going!

Need to throw my bipod on it still, but this thing looks sweet.

Bye! Off to go shooting!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That came out very nice
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What muzzle device is that FNG?

-Rainman

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's the Precision Armament AFAB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast