Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I am going to have to try this. I have a gut, unfortunately (6 2 and 240 though going down slowly). Have to see if I can make it work.

I have been using a Smart Carry. Mainly because of my physique. Terribly slow to draw but works with any pair of pants -- casual or suit. I have it placed such that I can reach through the fly with zipper down and retrieve me P229R The butt is above my "package" and the slide lies along my upper leg. Makes it easy to use a urinal and I can sit or stand without issue and discomfort. I usually forget it is there. If nothing else, I like the Smart Carry as a backup (if you had a normal IWB/AIWB) since it works with almost any attire and is pretty comfortable once you work with and adjust it for a few days.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

ToddG Guest
    I'm about 6' and 210#. I've definitely got more of a gut than I need.

If I've learned one thing about appendix carry since I started this, it's that the holster has to be just right. The vast majority of people who have a lot of serious thought and time invested in AIWB all seem to gravitate toward the same set of criteria for a good holster, but so few holsters are on the market which actually meet all of those criteria.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I received two AIWB holsters today. One is an updated Looper (the version most folks have received who ordered the appendix version ... mine was a prototype that I managed to break). The other is a prototype from Mark Garrity, a leather holster with some unique features to maximize its suitability for AIWB. Once we get some bugs worked out, he'll go into production and I'll be able to post pics.

As for pics and details, appendixcarry.com is coming soon.
    HA! Well cool man

I emailed Garrity's and got a reply back from Mark asking for any suggestions that I might have about the holster, and the only thing I could think of that was semi-intelligent was "Umm, send me one and I'll tell you if I like it"
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Get yours news at Presscheck.org!

Feedback Score
    I am far from the level of experience that most all that are posting have.

But I am a restaurant supervisor, meaning standing and walking around ten to twelve hours a day. Constantly dealing with the public.

A few weeks ago I tried carrying a S&W 637 airweight in a cheap uncle mikes iwb holster at the 12:30 to 1:00 position. It was total all day comfort. At times to much because I could not really feel it,making me think I had lost it.

For the last week or so I have been carrying a Glock 19 this way. Also in a cheap uncle mikes iwb holster. It to has been comfortable considering the low quality holster. I just didn't want to spend alot on "another" holster having never tried one.

I just ordered a Raven Concealment ACR for my G19. I cannot wait to recieve it.

They told me 30-35 days for shipment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    I am going to have to try this. I have a gut, unfortunately (6 2 and 240 though going down slowly). Have to see if I can make it work.
    I was in a class with a large-stomached gentleman who carried a pistol (G19, I think) in an appendix holster. Not sure if it was the way he wore his pants or what, but his belly pushed the butt of the gun forward; not only was this a safety issue (at least in my opinion), but it also didn't conceal well (despite the shadow cast by his physique).

Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    I have been using a Smart Carry. Mainly because of my physique. Terribly slow to draw but works with any pair of pants -- casual or suit. I have it placed such that I can reach through the fly with zipper down and retrieve me P229R
    I'm trying to imagine the look on an assailant's face as you begin this drawstroke. But despite the possible psychological advantage, I believe I'll stick with a regular IWB.

ToddG Guest
    Regardless of physique, a lot of poorly designed AIWB holsters will allow the butt to sag forward. Obviously, the more gut you have the more this problem will affect you. A well designed AIWB won't have this problem for most people within the major portion of the buddha belly bell curve.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had the guys at Raven make me an ACR for the LCP with a CT module on it when they showed up at the Vickers/Hackathorn Low Light II course. It worked pretty good for 10 hours of carry today. I'm still trying to work out the best way to carry it, but I think it will prove to be very useful.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Great thread Todd. I've been carrying a G21SF AIWB in a High Noon Hideaway(horse hide) for the past 18 months. I tried kydex from various manufacturers and as Gomez said, leather is more comfortable albeit more expensive. In the big scheme of things though I'm willing to pay for comfort and quality.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Frazer View Post
    I'm trying to imagine the look on an assailant's face as you begin this drawstroke. But despite the possible psychological advantage, I believe I'll stick with a regular IWB.
    Well, it is not for quick action draw, though it is pretty quick once you practice it some . I'll give up my wallet and try and run or evade to a place where I can draw. It is not perfect but that is the way it is currently. I am trying to find a better solution and use the Smart Carry thing for a backup.

But in a mall shooting, or other thing where you have time to slowly draw and the action is not (yet) directly aimed at you it works well...

Some people can actually draw pretty fast out the top of their pants but I tend to have a belt to keep my pants up and due to the belly that is not the easiest draw for me with it.
    Last edited by chadbag; 11-12-08 at 03:50. Reason: wrong name for it
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

ToddG Guest
    FWIW, Custom Carry Concepts has just added the G17/G22 to the list of weapons for which they can make holsters, including the AIWB version of the Looper.

Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast