Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry

ToddG Guest
    Sam -- It is a straight drop Looper, but it has a few other modifications based on testing. And please note it's in the experimental stage, so I'm certainly not claiming this is the best appendix holster ever! or anything like that.

• Looper
    • Straight cant
    • Adjusted ride height
    • Adjusted angle to body
    • Leather "heat shield"
    • edited to add: Modified holster body contour

I'll take some pics and post them later.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Some pics would be nice.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Having seen him do a few presentations this weekend, I was impressed wit the speed of the draw and the concealment of that rig.

Met Todd in the hotel parking lot, assumed he was carrying, but could not spot it. And he did a buddha trot down to his car to get my my hat and his movements did not seem hampered by having a pistol pointing at his package.

Which is my primary concern with that type of rig. IMHO it is not one to play with unless you are a very competent gun handler. Too many ways to remove yourself from the gene pool if you do not take care with your draw AND your holstering motion. If you are the type that gets in a hurry on the draw and sticks your finger on the trigger too soon, not going to be blowing holes in the dirt if you f#@& up. If you do not do a scan and check properly before holstering, and try to get it holstered before you pull your finger out of the trigger guard (muffled bang--whimper) just might happen.

I am not confident enough in my skills to try that type of carry with a striker fired pistol just yet, but having seen the success Todd has had so far, I might some day try it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Bell View Post
    I am not confident enough in my skills to try that type of carry with a striker fired pistol just yet, but having seen the success Todd has had so far, I might some day try it.
    Yeah. The draw is one thing. Reholstering might be a little risky under stress.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been carrying in the appendix location for a couple of years now. It works very well for me. I actually used it in the late 80's but finding a good holster proved challenging so I went back to 4 o'clock carry for long time.

IMHO, it has a lot more pros than cons if it works with your body shape and you use the right holster.

I'm looking forward to giving Raven's new Appedix Carry holster a try.

The draw stroke is not an issue if have have the fundementals down. I personally believe that reholstering should always be done in a slow deliberate manner. IMHO, there's no logical reason for a speed reholster. Having a holster in the appendix position makes it easier to reholster while verifying that nothing is in the holster that could possibly trip the trigger.

As far a driving and comfort goes I've worn this setup up to 16 hours and eve driven 8 hours without issue. The comfort issue really comes down to how you are physically built. I have a short stocky build from lifitng weighta but my waist is about 12" smaller than my chest so appendix carry works really well for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

A-IWB

I believe I was present at what was the begining of the A-IWB popularity in the trainiing community, the National Tactical Invitational.

A gent from an alphabet agency was shooting from A-IWB (Sig P228) from a PCS Holster A-IBW rig and wowed everyone with his speed from closed front concealment. I mean this guy was scary fast. BTW this guy had BTDT. Great guy also, very personable and willing to share info on techniques etc.

Paul Gomez took notice of this and began experimenting and writing about it over on TPI, in fact there is a thread that talks about this gent. A-IWB really took off with others after Paul started writing about it.

A-IWB's huge advantages over traditional carry methods IMO are:
    1.increase in draw speed
    2.sneakiness of draw
    3.availability of draw in odd body positions/seated/belted in in a car - this didn't dawn on me until I had a chance to do some ground fighting drills with a guy well versed in A-IWB and groundfighting - A-IWB is SO MUCH BETTER in this situation than traditional carry. All tools for self defense are more accessable from this position.

I use A-IWB carry frequently and I use a Safariland 27 for my G22:

http://www.safariland.com/img_pop.aspx?pid=27

This holster uses the Safarilaminate created by Bill Rogers, so it's comfortable against your skin. It has adustable cant J-Hook and a tension screw. It has a kydex lined holster mouth so the holster stays open for reholstering one handed. I mentioned it has a J Hook so it will fit different sized belts and it is easy on/easy off, something I like in a holster. I've never had it become dislodged unintentionally from my belt even during groundfighting drills. It's concealable, I've been out with real gun savvy friends and they never knew it was there. It is actually available for purchase, for many different models of guns, and you can call and order one today and get it in a short amount of time and it is inexpensive. This holster also works great for standard IWB carry. And it is available for the M&P.

Dave Williams

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I

I use A-IWB carry frequently and I use a Safariland 27 for my G22:
    I really like safariland's concealment holsters. They are such a good value. I might get a model 27 myself.

What angle would you reckon you have the holster canted to?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have it verticle but it'll be personal preference which is the beauty of the adjustable cant.

Dave Williams

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    A gent from an alphabet agency was shooting from A-IWB (Sig P228) from a PCS Holster A-IBW rig and wowed everyone with his speed from closed front concealment.
    . . . and . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG
    One friend of mine has been carrying this way for many years and has designed a couple of different appendix holsters. He took the time to explain a lot of these things to me before I started.
    ... are the same guy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Please tell him I said hello, though I doubt he would remember me.

Dave Williams

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast