Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coyote down

Feedback Score
    We hunt two or three spots. Between three of us hunting we get around 30 a year. Most of them are from November to March. Then summer time we may get three or four. We started tracking their sex weight, time of day and location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Well, kudos to you Alphasig for not being wasteful, but that is further than I am willing to go. I shoot coyotes and hang their sorry asses on the fence as a warning to the others. If they would leave my animals alone, I would leave them alone....but, they won't so I don't.

I shot this today from my truck, as it was rolling around, running backwards, and such. It took a few rounds to make contact, but it only took one once I did. It's kind of weird that I even took this pic, but it was to agitate the Eotech/Aimpoint with a friend and it didn't spray before I dispatched it. I slung it over the fence, out of the pasture my cows were in, and never considered eating it.

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have eaten cats, dogs, mice, rats, monkeys, birds, slugs, bugs, worms, grasshoppers and more types of snakes than I can remember.

But I'd have to be really freaking hungry to eat a coyote.

And skunks are one of the most common carriers of rabies on earth.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have eaten cats, dogs, mice, rats, monkeys, birds, slugs, bugs, worms, grasshoppers and more types of snakes than I can remember.

I haven't been hungry enough yet, to eat from your exotic menu. I had to talk a coon-ass coworker down from eating an armadillo one time. He really didn't want to take my word for it that they carry leprosy, so I sent him to the internet. He didn't eat the armadillo, but he still really wanted to.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Your tax dollars provided that particular set of menu choices.

And I can assure you the wait staff was quite surly. Some were downright rude.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

Kudos, sir! That layout must have been amazing to experience. I cant say that i have truly experienced as many bugs or exotic protiens as you have, but youve certainly piqued my interest to start looking more into my local bugs come spring time, lest i get the courage to try them, at least to know for a worst-comes-worst theory.

On the topic of racoons, skunks, snakes, we just dont get a whole lot of them. We had a neighbors dog get quilled this last year, and I have yet to see a porcupine around. (Only time seperates that from a reality i am sure).

To be honest, if i did take one of those animals, i would have to be pretty confident in my source of info before trying to eat it. And since i dont believe i will find someone to do so in front of me, i think i will avoid any risk of meat-contamination.

But there are weird double-standards in taste or risk taking i do suppose.

And 30 a year? Sounds like a set of awesome hunts.

If you don't mind sharing, do you salvage enough pelt to sell? Or is it population control hunts?

I mean this question in a purely educational manner as i dont have a whole lot of experience in those areas.

Great conversation!
    Last edited by HeruMew; 01-19-16 at 22:26.

Feedback Score
    I did a bit of study regarding leprosy and Armadillos.

They absolutely are a vector for leprosy. No, not all armadillos carry it, and I don't recall precisely, but if I seem to recall that 25/30% of them carry it. Leave them alone. Don't handle them, but if you must, wear rubber gloves and don't them any part of them touch you;

The good thing is only 3-5% of the human population is subject to getting leprosy.

Since the cause of leprosy is a bacterium, leprosy is curable, but it takes about 2-2 1/2 years to get cured.

The state will pay for it.

Feedback Score
    While various critters that aren't normally on the menu is one thing, eating a human being to survive is quite another.

Centuries back, the original reason cabin boys were part of the crew, (I kid you not) was if the sailors ran out of food, guess what they ate? Cabin boys were livestock.

I've read many books on survival and this is one area that really horrifies me, but eating human flesh is done in many a survival situation.

In the book and later the movie "Alive" a Uruguayan Rugby team's airplane crashed in the frozen Andes. Only 16 survived out of 45. Guess what they ate to survive? Yep, those that didn't survive. It was a ghastly thing to have to do, but they did it and lived.

So, if one thinks eating Coyote is obscene, try long pig, as the Polynesians call it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ate a gnat once. Now I keep my mouth closed when I cut the grass.
    Freedom isn't free! I thank every brave soldier who has paid some for me.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    When it comes down to it, I will eat whatever it takes to survive. Until then, I am very selective about what sort of animal I will dress and eat off the hoof or paw. I had never even heard of people eating predators, such as coyotes and bobcats, until I got to reading predator hunting forums quite a few years ago. I grow beef, so I will be eating steaks and burgers for quite a while before I resort to eating less savory critters.

The only time I have ever sold a coyote or bobcat pelt was during a predator hunting competition. The fur buyers just take them as they are, so no extra effort. Normal days, I don't shoot bobcats, but coyotes are an enemy of my state and their sorry asses get hung on the fence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast