Thread: 600 yard steel shooting with 5.56 - 9/2/2017 - Sub MOA @ 1000 (lol but for real)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

600 yard steel shooting with 5.56 - 12/23/2017 - 600yd moving targets w/ video

9/22/16 All of the pics are gone due to a photobucket problem a few weeks ago. But new pics are in post #209

I'd like to personally thank Noodles' bundle of pessimism for giving me the motivation to make this possible.

Post #54 has my build progress so far. Much of this OP is irrelevant now but lots of good info from SMEs and pros in the responses.

I've got a lower begging for an SPR build. I would like to shoot 4" steel hangers at 600 yards with it. I previously had a Noveske upper in 300BLK that was a tack driver and great for hunting but that round will not reach 600 yards.

Questions:

What barrel length should I go for? This will be shot suppressed. I am fairly set on 18" as it will provide a boost in velocity without being too long, but I will consider 16" or 20" if someone can provide quantitative and qualitative reasons for doing so.

On that note, what upper should I buy? I'm really liking the BCM 18" with KMR-A 15" price point. It's like $800 delivered with a rail panel for my Atlas.

What load (I reload) or factory ammo should I be shooting to do what I'm trying to do? I have no experience with precision 5.56mm.

My lower has a carbine RE. I'd prefer not to remove it and get an A5 but I will if necessary. Can a carbine RE work with an 18" barrel? What buffer would I need?

I have an 2-8x Vortex already mounted in a Bobro from a previous build. I've shot to 600 yards fairly well with a 4x ACOG but never at 4" hangers. I plan on upgrading the scope eventually as I know it isn't ideal, but will the 8x be a waste of my time or can I get away with it for now? $1000 for an upper is a lot easier to swallow than $2500 for an optic and upper.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 12-23-17 at 20:18.