Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: 600 yard steel shooting with 5.56 - 9/2/2017 - Sub MOA @ 1000 (lol but for real)

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Got my NF ATACR 5-25 FFP F1 mounted. Weighs in at 15lb 14oz!
    Lol. That's awesome! Do the crosshairs even move when you shoot it?

Feedback Score
    Looking to add to this thread, but curious on the best way to photo or video shooting Man sized IPSIC (17 by 24?) target at approx. 1125 (lasered) yards uphill around 25 degree slope.
    Was dialed up 13 mils, spotter was calling splash (Older Vortex DiamondbackSpotting Scope) Was using reticle for windage. Two different spotters called hits for me.
    Running suppressed other folks said they could hear ping, Just not sure, misses are easy huge dirt puffs.

Rifle is custom built, VZ7 lower Geissele SSE flat trigger, Rainier arms ultra match2 18 inch 223 Wylde chamber, UBR stock(soon to replaced by PRS Gen#)
    SpecWar K suppressor, Vortex 3x18 Gen2 Razor EBR 2C reticle, Photo's shortly.

Running 21.7 Grains H322 under 77 SMK with Winchester small rifle primers

Thoughts on photo or video options...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think positive hit confirmation is going to be very hard. On an IPSC Target at 1125 yards, the 223 doesn't have enough energy to really impart much motion or "ping" to the target.

You are certainly right it is easier to confirm misses because as long as conditions are dry, there is a puff of dust. But at 1125 yds, even 2 spotters are going to have a tough time unless they have really good glass and perfect atmospheric conditions.

I think some type of target cam will be the only way to go, or shooting at a smaller target that actually moves when hit. But I think hitting a smaller target will be a real challenge.

I have dealt with the same issue when shooting my 223 out to extended ranges. I have concluded it is just not enough horsepower to reliably shoot >800 yards. That isn't to say hits can't be made past this in good conditions, but your hit percentage is going to be low.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Yesterday I shot a PRS match and went 2/2 at 996, 1/2 at 950 and 1/2 at 895.

Target lights were the only way we knew I hit it. Neither myself, the official spotter, or any other of the 6 guys on my squad with spotting scopes were able to see anything.

1125 on a full size ipsc might work if you are on private land, shoot suppressed, have electronic ear pro, and it’s quiet. But you won’t see a hit or a miss.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Yesterday I shot a PRS match and went 2/2 at 996, 1/2 at 950 and 1/2 at 895.

Target lights were the only way we knew I hit it. Neither myself, the official spotter, or any other of the 6 guys on my squad with spotting scopes were able to see anything.

1125 on a full size ipsc might work if you are on private land, shoot suppressed, have electronic ear pro, and it’s quiet. But you won’t see a hit or a miss.
    Sounds like good shooting! Gotta love those hit indicators!

They definitely make it more feasible for a guy to shoot something like a 223, 22BR, 6BR, etc. in PRS without giving up a ton of points at the longer ranges.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I'll tell you exactly what's going to happen. With a target that small and/or expectations like yours, you're going to miss, but when you miss, it won't be that kind of miss that you knew what you did wrong and correct it. You'll THINK you know what you did wrong, you'll adjust, and you'll miss again. And again. You'll never have a great idea of WHY you are missing. With a target that small, hits and misses just won't give you the data that you need. Maybe you have a great spotter and the right light, and you can break and call center, and they'll see it started to veer left from wind at 300yards - but likely not. At 600y, a miss by 1ft left, could look like you hit behind it, or depending on where the dust flies even like a miss to the right. Perspective can be a bitch.

Get a bigger target, or at first, lower your expectations.
    5 years later and I still think about this post every time I share the video of me consistently nailing an 8" gong in 30mph crosswinds...or a 1/2 IPSC mover at 600 yards in the rain at ALTUS.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Our biggest wind holds at any distance has been 6 mils. I think that was at the 1300 yard gong. I blame climate change!!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Our biggest wind holds at any distance has been 6 mils. I think that was at the 1300 yard gong. I blame climate change!!
    Did you dial for that? That’s almost off the scale at 24x on my scope lol

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Did you dial for that? That’s almost off the scale at 24x on my scope lol
    We never dial for wind EVER. Neither of our brains works that way. Perhaps if we were shooting in a steady, heavy wind all day, we might go ahead and put a few starter mils in the scope. But on the fly, we'll eff it up without question.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    5 years later and I still think about this post every time I share the video of me consistently nailing an 8" gong in 30mph crosswinds...or a 1/2 IPSC mover at 600 yards in the rain at ALTUS.
    My biggest regret in shooting is once buying into the limitations widely held by the internet.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast