Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 600 yard steel shooting with 5.56 - 9/2/2017 - Sub MOA @ 1000 (lol but for real)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would use as little torque as is sufficient to reliably do the job. On my MK5 I think the spec from Geissele was 35 ft lbs, on my MK8 I think it was 40 ft lbs. I have read that less torque is best for accuracy but to be honest I can't really see how torque would affect accuracy. I can see how over torquing the Geissele rail could easily strip out hardware. The tolerance between the barrel nut and rail are really tight, it doesn't take much.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatorangecat View Post
    I would use as little torque as is sufficient to reliably do the job. On my MK5 I think the spec from Geissele was 35 ft lbs, on my MK8 I think it was 40 ft lbs. I have read that less torque is best for accuracy but to be honest I can't really see how torque would affect accuracy. I can see how over torquing the Geissele rail could easily strip out hardware. The tolerance between the barrel nut and rail are really tight, it doesn't take much.
    This was along my line of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
    Oh, will this have a muzzle device? Torque that gently and use rocksett. Too much torque there can be a real bad thing. 20 ft-lb is plenty.
    Yeah, I figured that out a long time ago. There was a post I made on here where I took some manufacturer's advice of torquing the muzzle device to 50ft lbs and accuracy went to shit. As soon as I removed it and replaced it to 20 ft lbs it shot amazingly and has continue to do so for the last year.

The issue is that mount, and the one I'll be putting on this barrel, will have a suppressor on the end. Too little torque and you can rip the mount off when you try to remove the can. Too much and you'll have terrible accuracy.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's why I suggest the Rocksett. I use that to mount all my muzzle devices, and I've never torqued one off. I even used a locked ASR mount to disassemble my Omega, and the brake didn't budge from that torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Gotcha. I'll try 20ft lbs and Rocksett. It should hold without affecting accuracy, no?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Gotcha. I'll try 20ft lbs and Rocksett. It should hold without affecting accuracy, no?
    That is our process for precision rifles.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I torque my barrel nuts to the in-spec minimum as long as there is some sort of anti-rotation device built into the rail system. I torque muzzle devices to just snug when using Rocksett.

Feedback Score
    Test the fit between the upper and barrel extension without the nut if there is any play I recommend locktite bedding the two together on final assembly. if they need removed for some reason down the road a good quality heat gun should do the trick. Precision Armament makes indexing washers to get the timing right on the muzzle device with minimum amount of torque I've used them there good stuff.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a set of those shims, but haven't used them yet. They sure look nice... But the first device I went to use them on happened to time perfectly with no shim. I'll take that!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Little lock tite goes a long way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    The suppressor mount I'm using requires no timing, so that's good. The BC 51.0 I have took forever to time correctly.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast