Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 600 yard steel shooting with 5.56 - 9/2/2017 - Sub MOA @ 1000 (lol but for real)

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Rockset (can) or locktite(no can) and 20 ft lbs of torque is what I do.
    I also do a small amount of locktite and torque and loosen 3X on the barrel nut ON TARGET/PRECISION rifles. I use anti seize on all other hard use rifles, not locktite.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    I'm telling you man. XBR is where it's at!
    Found some XBR. Any advice on running up loads with this and 77gr TMKs? I have CCI SR and Rem 7 1/2 SR Primers. I will be using LC brass now that I got a primer swager.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Found some XBR. Any advice on running up loads with this and 77gr TMKs? I have CCI SR and Rem 7 1/2 SR Primers. I will be using LC brass now that I got a primer swager.
    Hodgdon site shows 20.5 starting, 23.2 max for 8208.

I have only tried 8208 behind the 75 Amax in my 223AI and 23.5 grains shot well with a 68 Hornady BTHP in my 16" middy stainless barreled AR. I use that load for longer ranges in 3-gun as it shoots a little flatter.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks man. I have a new problem that I have to sort out before I can load any though. I had a great day at the range yesterday. I shot a 2.8" group at 560 yards with my Rem 700. I also had a bad day...

I loaded up some 55gr FMJ with 25.5gr of TAC (that was a stiff load!). I wanted to check that I was actually making usable cartridges so I fired them through my 11.5" BCM suppressed. After spending at least an hour prepping 100 Winchester cases with OAL, chamfer, etc, plus the time spent loading them all, I recovered eight of 100 cases.

I was beyond pissed. For that amount of time and money, if I had known what was going to happen beforehand, I would have literally just bought 500 rounds of loaded Wolf Gold and called it a day.

How in the hell do you guys keep your brass on a suppressed AR that ejects forward? They all flew into the brassy grass oblivion with all of the other thousands of 5.56mm pieces.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks man. I have a new problem that I have to sort out before I can load any though. I had a great day at the range yesterday. I shot a 2.8" group at 560 yards with my Rem 700. I also had a bad day...

I loaded up some 55gr FMJ with 25.5gr of TAC (that was a stiff load!). I wanted to check that I was actually making usable cartridges so I fired them through my 11.5" BCM suppressed. After spending at least an hour prepping 100 Winchester cases with OAL, chamfer, etc, plus the time spent loading them all, I recovered eight of 100 cases.

I was beyond pissed. For that amount of time and money, if I had known what was going to happen beforehand, I would have literally just bought 500 rounds of loaded Wolf Gold and called it a day.

How in the hell do you guys keep your brass on a suppressed AR that ejects forward? They all flew into the brassy grass oblivion with all of the other thousands of 5.56mm pieces.
    One of those brass catchers that goes over your ejection port like a sort of inverse belt fed. It connects to the rail.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I use the $9.99 model and it works just fine.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/s?usersearc...rass%20Catcher

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Eurodriver;

How in the hell do you guys keep your brass on a suppressed AR that ejects forward? They all flew into the brassy grass oblivion with all of the other thousands of 5.56mm pieces.[/QUOTE]

I shoot bullseye pistol and use a CMM Shooting Sports brass catcher.
    Works well with my precision build cause it ejects consistently in the same trajectory and catches them.
    Mine is not suppressed but of course you can place the net anywhere you want.

I lose very little brass if any on certain outings.

20151018_084911.jpg

Clarence
    Lija 4 groove AR24 1:8 twist
    BCM4 upper and BCG
    Anderson lower
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle trigger
    Leupold MK AR 6-18x40mm

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I like that, but I'm not sure how practical it would be while hunting or shooting from standing/seated/kneeling. The product gt40 posted would be great, but if you look at the pic of my rifle there is no rail space left for a picatinny rail mounted net to catch brass.

The net will certainly work for zeroing and bench shooting though, so I might end up getting it anyway.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    PM Sent.

Feedback Score
    22.1 gr 8208 behind 75 HPBT match bullets my boys and I shot some today with that load wind 8 mph more or less 680 yards. My 12 year old went 8 for 10 on a 12"x20" IDPA target it was a fun day. 20" barrel that load is around 2500 fps leaving the muzzle.

Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast