Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PTR-91 DMR project

Feedback Score

PTR-91 DMR project

So the other day a friend of mine comes over to my house, tells me that he is moving to New York because of work and he needs to sell some of his "NY post ban" rifles and wanted to know if I was interested in buying some. I say yes, go to his car and he starts pulling out his guns and I spot this pretty and paid $300 for it. Unfired because he bought it the day after the Great Gun Ban Scare of '13. Want to know what optic mounts and optics will make this a possible 1000 yard rifle?
    image.jpg
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The HK91 that I had was/is a Battle Rifle, not a Precision Rifle. As such, it was a 2-2.5 Moa gun. That's not bad for its intended role. I've shot Federal GMM ammo and gotten down to 1.5 Moa. Even the famous PSG was about a 1MOA on its best day. That was unheard of when the rifle came out. Semi-auto rifles didn't deliver that kind of accuracy then. Today, it's much easier to find a gas gun that will shoot sub Moa. My point is, your rifle should be a great shooter, and fun to own. I believe pressing it into a precision rifle role would be disappointing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Total steal at $300!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Def not going to be making precision shoots with that at 1000yrds... it's a battle rifle and not a precision rifle. You can convert parts over to make it comparable to a MSG or PSG but there's a lot more than just a barrel, trigger pack and stock. The receiver has lateral pieces that add strength and you several other things to consider. It's a nice rifle to shoot, kills brass unless you use a heavy buffer and you could possibly get a revised trigger pack to smoothen things out.

Feedback Score
    Not looking for it to be a comp gun because I have one already. Just want it to hit my steel plate (16"x23.2")I have on my property and beside in my opinion if the CMP does 1000 with the M1 using irons why not try a scope on a German rifle. Also all of the scopes I own cost more that what I paid for this gun. Does anyone know of good scope mounts and scopes that can take the impact from this kind of rifle? I have never owned a .308 version of the roller delay blowback action (got the MP5 so my knowledge of this is vague).My aging eyes don't do me much good anymore when using irons these days.
    Last edited by ClassIIIGunsmith; 02-02-16 at 12:45.
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Brugger & Thomet make the best mount in my opinion. I had a good clone on a JLD receiver that shot exceptionally well. The biggest challenge was the trigger.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    Not looking for it to be a comp gun because I have one already. Just want it to hit my steel plate (16"x23.2")I have on my property and beside in my opinion if the CMP does 1000 with the M1 using irons why not try a scope on a German rifle. Also all of the scopes I own cost more that what I paid for this gun. Does anyone know of good scope mounts and scopes that can take the impact from this kind of rifle? I have never owned a .308 version of the roller delay blowback action (got the MP5 so my knowledge of this is vague).My aging eyes don't do me much good anymore when using irons these days.
    Well it depends on what you want really. These came with a Hensoldt Z24 4X28mm optic and a HK claw mount. Initially the claw mount was high enough that you could peek under and still use your iron sights. If you decide on the B&T, they come in a couple options, hight mount and low mount. Both are 1913 and attach to the receiver using the claw mount reinforcement tabs just forward of the rear sight. You're also limited on long and how wide the optic can be, you don't want it interfering with the charging handle. Lastly I'd highly recommend a heavy buffer, it just makes everything so much smoother and won't kill brass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been using my EBO made Springfield SAR-3/8 as a DMR with good results.

I would recommend that you upgrade with a heavy buffer, that you can buy from HK parts, and a company called MFI makes a nice low mount for a scope.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    For the trigger, the WST is a better-then-stock option-

http://www.williamstriggers.com/page8.html

Trying to mod a HK-91 to be an effective 1000y gun is an expensive and time consuming rabbit hole that has crushed the soul of many that came before you. Think hard if this is truly the direction you want to go with things.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar2 View Post
    For the trigger, the WST is a better-then-stock option-

http://www.williamstriggers.com/page8.html

Trying to mod a HK-91 to be an effective 1000y gun is an expensive and time consuming rabbit hole that has crushed the soul of many that came before you. Think hard if this is truly the direction you want to go with things.
    I only spent $300 on this gun. So I have cash to blow on it. But my goal is more like having the ability to get a ding when I shoot at 1000 yards not looking for it to hit every time because of my aging body and eyes. I think what I'm saying is that I want it to have enough accuracy to at least get it to splash within 12" (roughly 1MOA at a thousand) of my steel plate. Kinda like that thought I don't need to build a PSG1 I just want it to be as accurate as my M1A national match (or better). is the original claw mount still a good mount or are the new low profile ones better?
    Last edited by ClassIIIGunsmith; 02-29-16 at 07:43.
    - Anonymous
    - Albert Einstein
    - Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast