Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PTR-91 DMR project

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The HK g3 pattern rifles are really fun to shoot, and are very accurate right out of the box.

I qualified on the g3 when I served in the US Army in Germany, and when I left the service I bought one of the Greek made rifles from Springfield Armory.

I use a HK claw mount with a Zeiss scope and can get 3 inch groupings at 300 yards.

I'm a farm girl, and was on the ROTC rifle team in college and have been shooting since my teens.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BTW - Bill Springfield of triggerwork.net does a great job in tuning the trigger for the HK.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That looks like a GI, so you may or may not have a barrel that is capable of what you want. I have a PTR DMR that is based on one of the F-Models with the shallow flute TC barrels. It's a sub-MOA rifle (just barely), but won't work with anything tar sealed...which includes a lot of NATO and US Mil ammo, but it's fine with commercial and handloads. My GI is more of a 1.5MOA to 2MOA rifle.

I've had great results with the MFI rail. I bed them to the receiver for an even more solid mount. A welded rail is better, however.

I do my own triggers, but springfield and Williams are the options for getting it done. Don't try to get fancy...much below 5-6lbs and you may see doubling, which is no bueno.

You're also dealing with a 12 twist, so 168s may be as heavy as it likes. 155 Scenars are always an option. Some of mine will shoot 175 well, but my F doesn't like them much.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would recommend building an Ak4B clone. I am a sucker for Swedish rifles though

What you need:

- Ak4B weld-on rail: http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/SW...R-G3-p3642.htm

- PTR Slim Handguard (if not using a bipod)

- PTR Tac Handguard + Rails (if using a bipod): http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Tacti...LE-112p367.htm

- Modified Sight Hood (can be done by most gunsmiths, like Parabellum Combat Systems)

- Any other accessories/parts you want

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    That looks like a GI, so you may or may not have a barrel that is capable of what you want. I have a PTR DMR that is based on one of the F-Models with the shallow flute TC barrels. It's a sub-MOA rifle (just barely), but won't work with anything tar sealed...which includes a lot of NATO and US Mil ammo, but it's fine with commercial and handloads. My GI is more of a 1.5MOA to 2MOA rifle.

I've had great results with the MFI rail. I bed them to the receiver for an even more solid mount. A welded rail is better, however.

I do my own triggers, but springfield and Williams are the options for getting it done. Don't try to get fancy...much below 5-6lbs and you may see doubling, which is no bueno.

You're also dealing with a 12 twist, so 168s may be as heavy as it likes. 155 Scenars are always an option. Some of mine will shoot 175 well, but my F doesn't like them much.
    I just want it to hit at 1000 not looking for a super gun so the barrel thing isn't a big deal. I'm a gun smith so I think I'm good doing my own trigger job, cause I have done some for for a few of my customers and was able to get a 6.75lb trigger using a full powered spring. I can get a 4.5lb trigger running a MP5 spring (I will also be removing the first stage part of the pull so a 2 stage instead of a 3 stage one) but that is if I want to only shoot soft primers. My handloads are primo but I don't want to trash my good Hornady brass or LC Match brass. I know a heavy buffer is on the list as well as a trigger job, paddle mag release, 5 round mag for deer sniping season, good HK 30mm claw mount, my 30mm Leopold Scope, I think a wide forearm will be better for my sandbag so I will go Bipodless. Is there anything I missed?
    Last edited by ClassIIIGunsmith; 03-01-16 at 16:40.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I was going to say, good ammo and a scope should be all you need to play at 1K.

Let us know how she does if you get a chance to get her out that far.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    Update:
    image.jpg
    Got the wide forearm
    Trigger pull is at 5.9lb
    Got a heavy buffer
    Trying to find a good low price claw mount, must be a HK made.

Went to shoot it at 350 at my steel had some damn nice groups using just the irons. 17 out of 20 on my 8" Gong.
    I think I'm on the right path for this gun.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    Update:
    image.jpg
    Got the wide forearm
    Trigger pull is at 5.9lb
    Got a heavy buffer

Went to shoot it at 350 at my steel had some damn nice groups using just the irons. 17 out of 20 on my 8" Gong.
    You'll be amazed what you can do with match ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    Update:
    image.jpg
    Got the wide forearm
    Trigger pull is at 5.9lb
    Got a heavy buffer

Look into the mfi scope mount from hk parts

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The B&T mounts are better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12