Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD 16" mid length barrels - Are they over gassed?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

DD 16" mid length barrels - Are they over gassed?

I have read several sources over the last few hear that the SBR barrels from Daniel Defense are over gassed.

But I would like to talk about their 16" barrels.

Has anyone measured the gas ports on the DD 16" mid-length barrels? Are the 16" barrels overpassed as well?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I have read several sources over the last few hear that the SBR barrels from Daniel Defense are over gassed.

But I would like to talk about their 16" barrels.

Has anyone measured the gas ports on the DD 16" mid-length barrels? Are the 16" barrels over-gassed as well?
    Mine aren't.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I could see how the mid length gas could make it feel better.

But I don't see why DD would over gas all their other barrels but not the mid lengths.

The issue you will run into with mid length is the lack of a standard. So who's to say .0xx is to big or small by comparison to Cranes numbers.

I'd like to see someone with a mid length DD try an H2 buffer and Tula or some other underpowered ammo. If it locks back on an empty mag its over gassed.

In my ideal world of gas ports a gun would short stroke with an H2, not lock back with an H1 and just barely run right on a carbine buffer with .55gr. steel case ammo.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've owned three DD 16" midlength uppers, and a close friend has another, and none of them seem overgassed in use. They run reliably with a carbine or H buffer and typical US-made commercial (.223) ammo. They run fine with near-mil-spec ammo (like PMC X-tac) and the two that were used with Russian ammo (Silver Bear and Wolf) ran fine with that ammo. None of them have had the function problems you find with overgassing, which I have experienced with other brands of carbine-length-gas 16" barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    In my ideal world of gas ports a gun would short stroke with an H2, not lock back with an H1 and just barely run right on a carbine buffer with .55gr. steel case ammo.
    Sounds like an 18" barrel with rifle gas setup for 3-gun. If that's what you want, OK, but that doesn't mean it's ideal for all uses.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I had one 16" midlength DD barrel that did exhibit signs of overgassing. The recoil seemed excessive when compared to both a BCM and Centurion midlength barrel (even with a muzzle brake) and empty cases ejected between 1:00 and 2:00. I measured the gas port diameter at .082" using pin gages. In comparison, the other two barrels I mentioned were both .076".

I installed a port reducer kit from Black River Tactical and was able to run the .070" insert and it totally changed the gun. Recoil was light and empties ejected between 3:00 and 4:00. It ran everything from XM193 to AE223. It would not cycle weak steel-case (tried Tula & Wolf).

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC98 View Post
    I had one 16" midlength DD barrel that did exhibit signs of overgassing. The recoil seemed excessive when compared to both a BCM and Centurion midlength barrel (even with a muzzle brake) and empty cases ejected between 1:00 and 2:00. I measured the gas port diameter at .082" using pin gages. In comparison, the other two barrels I mentioned were both .076".

I installed a port reducer kit from Black River Tactical and was able to run the .070" insert and it totally changed the gun. Recoil was light and empties ejected between 3:00 and 4:00. It ran everything from XM193 to AE223. It would not cycle weak steel-case (tried Tula & Wolf).

This is great feedback and a typical result.

That .082" port gives 15% more gas drive than the quasi defacto stadard .076" port, which is already plenty of gas to run nearly any ammo and any buffer.

Although there is no official spec for a 16" midlength, there is a real good chance Crane would select .076" or a slightly smaller.

16" midlengths typically aren't slowed down by heavier buffers as much as some other configurations, so an overgassed barrel won't show much apparent improvement by using only a heavy buffer.

We recommend a .073" Custom Tune Gas Port as the smallest size that will typically work with most ammo from M193 to Wolf.
    Last edited by Clint; 02-02-16 at 19:25.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    The filthy 14 was a midlength, I believe. Id trust bravo company.

Feedback Score
    I haven't had any overgassing issues but the issue is worrisome.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have multiple DD middy guns, none have any over gas issues. The only time I experienced an issue with gas was in my factory M4A1 rifle, and a sprinco spring and h3 solved it. In my experience DD barrels are top notch, and are now my go to for any future build.

I have a friend who has a DD middy rifle as well, I can ask for his input, but to my knowledge it's the same as mine.

Daniel Defense makes some of the finest rifles available! You will not be disappointed!
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIPactual View Post
    I have multiple DD middy guns, none have any over gas issues. The only time I experienced an issue with gas was in my factory M4A1 rifle, and a sprinco spring and h3 solved it. In my experience DD barrels are top notch, and are now my go to for any future build.

I have a friend who has a DD middy rifle as well, I can ask for his input, but to my knowledge it's the same as mine.

Daniel Defense makes some of the finest rifles available! You will not be disappointed!
    I'm curious what your issues were with the M4A1. Are DD M4A1s known to be overgassed, too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast