Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DD 16" mid length barrels - Are they over gassed?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ***************Nevermind. I found the thread*****************

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    I'm curious what your issues were with the M4A1. Are DD M4A1s known to be overgassed, too?
    I was having forward ejection with both .223 and 5.56 ammo. The problem was resolved by installing a sprinco red spring and h3 buffer. There is a thread about it on here but I can't post a link from my phone.
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    I had an M4A1 upper and it was a gasser for sure.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I posted in like 2012 that DD barrels were overgassed. I remember many people not believing me. That was a 12.5" but like seen already in this thread, if we all (now) know that some DD barrels are overgassed, why wouldn't you assume all are?

OP short answer is yes.

Long answer is 95% of people would never notice. Even most suppressed users wouldn't notice. Doesn't make it right, just how it is. If you own a DD barrel, turn back away from this thread, for most, ignorance is bliss.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, I remember reading about someone shooting a V11 and thinking it was overgassed. Not sure about that. But I'm a fan of DD. That won't change. They're certainly one of the best manufacturers.

Feedback Score
    I have a V7 w/ H2, regular power buffer spring. Normally running Wolf Gold and works great, but will usually not cycle steel case at all, much less lock back. I'll bring some random low-power brass .223 next time and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OIPactual View Post
    I have multiple DD middy guns, none have any over gas issues. The only time I experienced an issue with gas was in my factory M4A1 rifle, and a sprinco spring and h3 solved it.
    This. A heavier buffer and/or buffer spring will offset over gassing. I'd personally rather have an over gassed gun than an under gassed one. You could also get an adjustable gas block if you want to chose that route.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know ejection patterns aren't everything but our 16" DD midlength lightweight factory upper ejects to ~4:30 with our 75gr handloads and a H buffer. With a suppressor it ejects to about 2 o'clock. Here's a video shooting some rounds unsuppressed and suppressed with a TBAC Ultra 7" and you can see the ejection pattern:

FWIW it shoots great and we've gotten decent hit ratios at 907 yards on torso-sized steel with it and 75gr Hornady BTHP handloads.
    Last edited by californiasushi; 02-20-16 at 04:08.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I posted in like 2012 that DD barrels were overgassed. I remember many people not believing me. That was a 12.5" but like seen already in this thread, if we all (now) know that some DD barrels are overgassed, why wouldn't you assume all are?

OP short answer is yes.

Long answer is 95% of people would never notice. Even most suppressed users wouldn't notice. Doesn't make it right, just how it is. If you own a DD barrel, turn back away from this thread, for most, ignorance is bliss.
    They might be overgassed before but not anymore, but since 2016 the 16" midlength gas port is 0.072" which is actually a bit on the smaller side.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a9862 View Post
    They might be overgassed before but not anymore, but since 2016 the 16" midlength gas port is 0.072" which is actually a bit on the smaller side.

LOL. You necro-post an over 4 years old thread for that? LOL
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12