Page 2 of 142 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: I am taking the 5.45x39mm plunge! updated 09-23-09

Feedback Score
    I hope everything goes well, because this looks very interesting.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I held my breath for a while waiting for this to come out and finally bit the bullet and decided to get a 5.45 AK for my training gun. It's not that I don't trust CProducts, they just took too damn long to come out. That tells me something here is all ate up. Since barrels, bolts and uppers aren't that hard to figure out, it's got to be the magazine.

I don't buy the "stick 5.45 in a regular mag and it's fine" line either. Crossgun, you may have gotten it to work for you, but every 5.56 mag (GI alum w/ green follower, Brit SA80 with black follower, SA80 with Magpul follower, PMag) I've loaded with 5.45 leads me to believe I'd have a lot of practice clearing malfs because of the way the rounds nosedive in the mag.

Good luck, Jay. I think you'll need it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Neither one of the rifles ran with the shitty C Products mags that were supplied. The rounds would crash into the feed ramps just below the cuts and just sit there. As you can imagine I was a little pissed. HK and standard issue GI mag with green follower (5.56) ran with out issue.
    Were these Cproducts mags the ones with the Gen 3 MagPul followers?
    This thread is of great interest to me as I was also considering a M&P15R.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    I suspect that you're right, but even if it only runs 75% of the time I'll be okay with it. If it's worse than that it may just not be worth it.

Oh yeah, I think I have a 5.45mm AK stashed somewhere.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I found a review over on BARF:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=388099

Now this was a complete rifle and not just an upper, but this guy says his runs 100% and that the included mag was in fact a CP.

We shall see...

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    I am very interested in this thread. I ended up getting a .21 Ghengis as the call it from Alexander Arms when they were making them. Put the project to the side for a while as I was just wanting to play with this on a MGI lower with interchangable mag wells just to use AK-74 mags. Hence never made progess here.

A tried loading some HK mags and really was disappointed that I could not squeeze more 5.45 in them than I did - I guess the thinkness of the steel mags is just enough more than the aluminum mags.

Please keep us posted!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    I held my breath for a while waiting for this to come out and finally bit the bullet and decided to get a 5.45 AK for my training gun. It's not that I don't trust CProducts, they just took too damn long to come out. That tells me something here is all ate up. Since barrels, bolts and uppers aren't that hard to figure out, it's got to be the magazine.

I don't buy the "stick 5.45 in a regular mag and it's fine" line either. Crossgun, you may have gotten it to work for you, but every 5.56 mag (GI alum w/ green follower, Brit SA80 with black follower, SA80 with Magpul follower, PMag) I've loaded with 5.45 leads me to believe I'd have a lot of practice clearing malfs because of the way the rounds nosedive in the mag.

yeah there's a lot more taper to the 5.45 cases than 5.56. i could definitely see a problem running them in a standard straight box magazine.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Neither one of the rifles ran with the shitty C Products mags that were supplied.
    Please clarify for me on the feed and mag issues you are having. Is the supplied Cproducts mag supposed to be special in some way to the 5.45x39 or is it a regular Cproducts 5.56 mag? If I read your post correctly, the 5.45 ran just fine with regular USGI green follower 5.56 mags, no?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Guys the included mag is a special mag for 5.45 with a new follower. It is not the standard 5.56 follower. I will try to post a few pics and video after some more range time tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Guys the included mag is a special mag for 5.45 with a new follower. It is not the standard 5.56 follower.
    If the problem is just the one CP mag that ships with the 15R, and it runs fine with USGI green follower 5.56 mags, why not just us those?

Page 2 of 142 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast