Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magtech CBC or PPU 147s in KAC SR-25?

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    We've used a bunch of it in testing of the recent lots, and I've got a couple cases here. I'll ask the test guys to be sure, and my SR-25 is inbound so I'll report back.
    Duane,

You guys get a chance to test any of that CBC? Going to pick up another few cases of FGMM and some more 147 blaster ammo. Just curious what you guys found.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 03-07-16 at 17:11.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Just IMHO...........ALL 147 grain M80 spec factory ammo is blasting/plinking fodder at best, it doesn't matter what brand it is. Some of it shoots a little tighter than others in my stuff, but it's pretty inconsistent from lot to lot and brand to brand. I have often cut my group sizes IN HALF just by feeding the same rifles that don't like 147 gr. factory ammo with cheaply produced handloads of my own.......... which is usually 150 gr Hornady FMJBT bullets, mixed once (or sometimes several times) fired brass, standard CCI large rifle primers, behind 43 grains of IMR4895, or 4064 (which ever I have on hand at the time).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Duane,

You guys get a chance to test any of that CBC? Going to pick up another few cases of FGMM and some more 147 blaster ammo. Just curious what you guys found.
    Sorry...My SR-25 gets here this week, and I have some of the latest CBC on hand, so I was going to give you as current data as I could.

But, the test guys have confirmed that we've run about 30-40k rounds of it recently. SR-25 was a good bit of that. It's no kidding 7.62 NATO pressures, so guns that are gassed for just functioning with .308 commercial ammo may occasionally short stroke.
    OBR doesn't like it. So far, the KACs are eating it up. I'll have more first hand info probably next week. One thing the guys mentioned was the crimps on some lots were weak...not sure if old or new, so that may be something to think about.

I have both the ball and their 168gr OTM, so I'll report back on both.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Magtech CBC or PPU 147s in KAC SR-25?

Finally had a chance to run some CBC in my APC with URX4 M-LOK. Both the 168gr OTM load and the 150gr ball load ran 100%, with ejection patterns very close to FED GMM and other NATO ball, respectively. The 168 load was just barely over a minute in 5rd groups. The ball was right at 2 MOA. AMAX 168 and FED GMM are both just barely under 1 MOA with this same setup. This was with a 6x optic, so not ideal for accuracy testing. I didn't have a chrono with me, as I had a lot of other stuff to get done. The propellants (CBC ball powders) have a bit more acrid smell than the usual stuff, but nothing crazy foul. 168 gr shot to same POI as AMAX 168 and FED GMM. Ball was about 1.5 inches high and right of that zero.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have about 250 rounds of CBC M80 left out of a lot I purchased in 2012 to run in my scout rifle and that stuff makes for a very sticky bolt manipulation after firing. I haven't run it in a semi auto though.
    Last edited by Rifleman_04; 04-03-16 at 16:32. Reason: Reading and comprehension.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have had luck with PPU 308 ammo, run through 2x 308 AR's (albeit not SR-25's, but both LR-308 pattern rifles). I have used the 147 gr, 150 gr SP, and 168 HPBT with good success. The 168 gr HPBT actually shoots pretty close to 168 gr FGMM, surprisingly. The 147 gr shot no different than standard WWB M80 ball. None of the loads showed pressure signs, excessive fouling, or function issues. The brass reloads just fine as well.

I have not used any CBC.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Finally had a chance to run some CBC in my APC with URX4 M-LOK. Both the 168gr OTM load and the 150gr ball load ran 100%, with ejection patterns very close to FED GMM and other NATO ball, respectively. The 168 load was just barely over a minute in 5rd groups. The ball was right at 2 MOA. AMAX 168 and FED GMM are both just barely under 1 MOA with this same setup. This was with a 6x optic, so not ideal for accuracy testing. I didn't have a chrono with me, as I had a lot of other stuff to get done. The propellants (CBC ball powders) have a bit more acrid smell than the usual stuff, but nothing crazy foul. 168 gr shot to same POI as AMAX 168 and FED GMM. Ball was about 1.5 inches high and right of that zero.
    Thanks Duane for the report.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    Finally had a chance to run some CBC...
    Is this 2015 or 2016 production?

Over on the M14 Forum CBC/Magtech has a horrible reputation, but that seems to be based on crappy ammo they were producing until 2013 or so...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some of the early batches of Magtech M80 had a weird burn rate that was outside of what an M14 can accommodate and gave fits in some SR-25/AR-10 variants and clones. After that first batch, it's been great in all the test guns, but I haven't run it through an M1A.

As a side note, the Magtech family of brands is now importing MEN ball. I haven't made it to the range--just came yesterday--but I'll be giving that a shot soon.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast