Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hog Hunting with .223/5.56

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hog Hunting with .223/5.56

I see there's a deer hunting with with .223/5.56, but not a dedicated hog thread. Did I miss that?

Not much if a hunter, but always wanted to hog hunt with my AR, and recent move to FL makes that easy to accomplish. I'd be using a 6940.

I know .223 is very dependent on bullet selection and I know many who take out hogs with it using correctly selected ammo for hogs vs say m855, which will just poke small holes in them. It seems Federal Fusion has an excellent reputation for taking down deer (and hogs?), and of course .223 going to be more shot place dependent than others. Im told it's usually 100 yards or well under in most cases.

So far, I have not found Federal Fusion at various stores in the region I have stopped by. I could order online someplace. Other recommend .223 hunting loads people have had good success with hogs?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    The Fusion load works well. But any bonded or expanding solid copper load will get the job done. I used to shoot a lot of hogs on our place here in GA. But they seem to have moved on to greener pastures lately.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    77gr SMK handload @120yds to the ear drops them immediately.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    The Fusion load works well. But any bonded or expanding solid copper load will get the job done. I used to shoot a lot of hogs on our place here in GA. But they seem to have moved on to greener pastures lately.
    Brands, etc would be useful.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Skypup has a thread and last I read, the 70gr tsx looks like the ultimate hog round for 223.

That said, fusion should do well. I would suggest buying online, psa had it for $10/20rds. Every local shops that has it sells it for $24/20rds +, which is rediculous.

I did some research a few years ago and ended up buying a bunch of bvac 64 gr gold dot loads for a hog hunt I never went on.. yet.

Edit: skypup thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...SX-Performance
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-09-16 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Skypup has a thread and last I read, the 70gr tsx looks like the ultimate hog round for 223.

That said, fusion should do well. I would suggest buying online, psa had it for $10/20rds. Every local shops that has it sells it for $24/20rds +, which is rediculous.

I did some research a few years ago and ended up buying a bunch of bvac 64 gr gold dot loads for a hog hunt I never went on.. yet.

Edit: skypup thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...SX-Performance
    Thanx. I ordered a few boxes of Fusion MSR.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    With respect to all... might want to take into account size of hog you may encounter.
    Fastest kill I ever had was a 22 magnum from a pistol at close range (7 yards +/-). Dogs had a wounded 75 pound feral pig backed up to a tree and it was a helluva fight going on. Only long arms at hand were shotguns with buckshot, so pistol was the solution. Shot was slightly behind ear; bang dead. But this was a pig, not a hog.
    Not unusual for hogs to go over 200 pounds in some places. And a wounded hog is serious business.
    Because I won't know the size I may encounter, I use a 308 with bonded rounds when I go in South Carolina.
    Good hunting and good luck.

Feedback Score
    Sort of depends on whether you want "over the counter" or if you wish to load your own. If anyone is interested I can provide information on a number of .223 handloads that have worked quite well for me on hogs , literally from coast to coast.

The Swift Scirocco II has been a distinct standout both in the 62 grain and 75 grain , the aforementioned Barnes offerings work quite well , as does the Berger 77 grain OTM Tactical even though it's not a true hunting slug , the 65 grain Gameking SBT is quite efficient. And though some folks will decry them as a " target slug" both the Berger VLDs and Sierra Matchkings have worked for me in the heavier weight offerings even though they are target shooting oriented.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Would green tip get through the skull? I've only used 300 blackout to shoot piggies in the face.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Shot this boar (~250-300 lb) this evening. Two rounds of CBC 77 gr. 5.56 through an 11.5" upper with an Omega, did the job. Hit him in the gut on the run. That slowed him down enough for the one in the neck.

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast