Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hog Hunting with .223/5.56

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Skypup has a thread and last I read, the 70gr tsx looks like the ultimate hog round for 223.

That said, fusion should do well. I would suggest buying online, psa had it for $10/20rds. Every local shops that has it sells it for $24/20rds +, which is rediculous.

I did some research a few years ago and ended up buying a bunch of bvac 64 gr gold dot loads for a hog hunt I never went on.. yet.

Edit: skypup thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...SX-Performance
    I have a few hundred of those rounds laying around as well.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I know I'm a fool for saying it but I wish there was more wild hog hunting up north-west..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've used the Remington Hog Hammer. Worked well. Granted, I did dome him.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    An old standby that has worked forever, is the Winchester 64 gr power point. It can normally be found when some of the newer rounds can not.
    It is also an excellent home defense or deer hunting round out of the 223

My preferred bullet is the Nosler 64gr Bonded. It seems to have the right combination of penetration and expansion.

I have never tried the solid copper bullets so I have no opinion good or bad about them.

Put the bullet where it counts and almost any of the 60+ gr expanding bullets will work.

Here is a nice boar shot between the running lights with my Colt AR-15 using the 64 gr Nosler Bullet. Range was 25 yds or so. I do not know who was more surprised to see the other but he was 1/2 a step slow on saying goodbye.
    Last edited by hamour; 02-22-16 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    All of the rounds in this post work fine. I've been shooting the 70gr TSX and have had no issues at all. I've shot hogs both in the ear and through the heart lungs.

Feedback Score
    Put a 70g TSX loaded by Asym through the heart and lungs of a hog a couple years ago and checked it out during cleaning. Really worked as advertised and was impressive enough that it sold me on the 70g TSX being my handload of choice for HD and hunting from then on.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    Time for me to start hunting these southern Hogs. Y'all have gotten me all worked up. Guess I'll start purchasing gear, for the job.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Always been curious about hog hunts. Is this done from a stand for the most part?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I use 75gr BTHP all the time. When I get an exit it's about the size of a handball. Doesn't always exit on a head shot, but they drop. Only ever had one runner and it went 30 yds before it piled up. I've taken over 100 hogs with this bullet from about 20 lbs to 400 lbs. The little ones pretty much look like they swallowed a hand grenade after being hit.
    Last edited by jethroUSMC; 07-24-16 at 16:35.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Anyone ever use a green tip on a hog? Just curious how it would do on the heavy front shoulder plate that hogs have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast