Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hog Hunting with .223/5.56

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It's not an AR500 plate.

I've punched through that plate with 75r BTHP within 100yds on multiple occasions. Green tip should work, although I'd prefer head shots with that round due to less expansion. I'd imagine it would "ice pick" much further back behind the plate without more than skin, rib and intestines blocking it's path. Worst case shoot 'em again. It's great mover practice as long as you have safe space and sufficient open area where you hunt. Swamp and thick bottoms make it less likely to get a follow up shot, and tend to have the larger, more angry genetics in them.

IF I regularly hunted an area with a higher European genetic line (larger cutters, really bad attitude most of the time), in confined spaces where spotting them at a distance was unlikely, I would use a larger caliber repeater with some serious K.E. anchoring power like, .300 BLK Supersonic, .30-30, .35 Rem etc.
    Last edited by jethroUSMC; 07-25-16 at 11:54.

Feedback Score

Hog Hunting with .223/5.56

I know this thread is really necro, but I might be going on a hunt in Texas this March. And was thinking about taking an ar15 with 14.5” barrel. Or if I should just bite the proverbial bullet and get a 300bo upper. But the experiences and results that have been mentioned in this thread has me thinking I just need a new bullet other than 77gr smk. I have 48 of the old nosler bsb 64gr loaded. Don’t know the speed on them though. Or is their another bullet y’all would recommend other than stuff posted in this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 01-29-22 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Shot placement is key with the 5.56 on hogs. Head shots behind the ear work the best, .300 blk will open you up to vital hits behind the shoulder. Have taken hogs with 55grn jhp rounds but it's not what is best and they tend to run for a bit after getting hit.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You will do fine with 5.56/.223. I went on a hunt awhile back and the place I went to was $200 to get into the gate, bring 2 bags of feed, and then X amount per pound on the hoof weight for everything you shot. So if you are going to one of those type places, you will want to take head shots so you can get the most meat in your cooler at the end of the hunt. I don’t remember what the cost per pound was, but you could pre-pay for your meat and the price per pound goes down. We pre-paid for a ridiculous amount of meat, like 2000lbs but we had 5 guys. I don’t think I will go back. I would go help with a control the population type deal, but the shooting fish in a barrel at the ranch wasn’t very sporting and I didn’t shoot much because it just didn’t feel right. There were also too many hunters and we got set up and the guides told us you can only shoot from 9-11 but don’t shoot 11-3 because there is a stand there and then you can shoot 3-5, oh and there is another stand directly behind you, so only shoot 9-11 and 3-5. It was like 50-60 hunters on less than 300 total acres. Just be careful as it can get dangerous if you find yourself in a high fence ranch with lots of others……

There were also a lot of exotics there too. Not many folks paid the big money to shoot them so they got used to all the gunfire on the hogs and would act like pets and not pay much attention to you. The hogs figured this out and would run into a herd or red stag or elk or xyz and know that nobody was taking the risk of shooting at minimum a $700 doe or even a goat. They even had $20k Buffalo in there. All cash if you wanted one, if you hit one on accident it was still all cash. If you didn’t have cash or refused to pay for your mistake they would call the game warden on you for poaching.

Don’t want to spoil your fun, but talk to someone that has gone to your hunt location before (if you can) to feel them out.

Edit:
    We had:
    350 legend
    55g FMJ .223
    300 win mag
    308 ruger scout (me)

The guy sporting the AR in 5.56/.223 had the highest kill rate followed by the AR in 350 legend. It was all in shot placement and getting on the next target quickly. The place limited us to 5 rounds in the gun also.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 01-29-22 at 23:17.

Feedback Score
    Thank for the heads up. It’s for a bachelor party, buddy of mine that’s getting married, his best man’s folks own this place. I’m not worried about accidentally shooting something, I don’t shoot unless I know where the bullet is going and am not going to flock shoot either. But the heads up is something I didn’t think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Here's an old thread that was always informative and entertaining...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...nce&highlight=

Unfortunately, it looks like the pictures have been lost.
    Skypup was doing just fine with 70gr Barnes in .223 is what it comes down to. He did typically have good shot placement.
    Last edited by sva01; 02-03-22 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Green tip would be a terrible choice. Hogs are not bullet proof. Use a bullet that will provide the best wound....probably either a tmk, berger, or eld.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123