Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XM177E2 Project

Feedback Score

XM177E2 Project

My goal with this project is to have a fun, yet solid, blaster with the aesthetic of an BFPU 629. Here's where I'm at with my XM177E2 project:

photo 1-4.jpgphoto 2-2.jpg

Upper:
    Brownell's A1 upper
    Teardrop FA
    PSA BCG
    Griffin Armament XM Linear Comp

Lower:
    Anderson cheapo (at least it has a pony on it)
    PSA LPK
    A1 grip
    PSA receiver ext assy
    Cheap plastic CAR stock

Component issues:
    *A2 profile lower -- I'm thinking about going full arfcom and reprofiling the lower myself with a dremel and files. Strangely, I'm more comfortable with mutilating a $40 Anderson than just with buying an $150, period correct NDS lower.
    *Stock -- I'm planning on getting a metal one, the two I'm considering are the one's from Tony's Custom and Essential Arms. Thoughts? Experiences
    *Buffer tube -- This is a 6-position tube, and I'm contemplating either getting the NDS 2-position or just editing this post to remove all mention of a 6-position tube
    *M4 handguards -- Just placeholders for now. I've been eyeing the Rock River Arms A2 CAR handguards because they seem to be a decent repro.
    *Barrel -- I don't want to register this as an SBR, so I will go the pin-and-weld route with a 12.5" barrel (either OEM or cut down). I've been looking everywhere for a 12.5"-16" pencil/lightweight carbine gas barrel with an FSB already installed, and the only one I can find in stock is a 16" Daniel Defense from ADCO. The other barrels I've identified as being suitable are the 6720 Colt barrel and the Bushmaster superlight, but the Colt is out of stock everywhere and Bushmaster's website is wack right now. Suggestions?

Other issues:
    *I want to give this a weathered look, any advice on how to accomplish this? I went over the small parts with some emery cloth, which satisfactorily pulled up the parkerizing, but that anodization on the receivers is tough! Advice? Recommendations?
    *I'd prefer the aluminum components to be grey than black, or maybe just stripped, bare aluminum, if that looks cool.
    *Once I get a barrel, any suggestions of where I can get a pin-and-weld done? ADCO seems to be highly regarded on this site, but they explicitly state they won't work on surface hardened barrels or muzzle devices (the Griffin comp is QPQ nitrided).

Anyway, guide a noob!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm in the midst of an almost identical build and am in search of the same type barrel as you are. So far most of what I've found are LW mid-length gas barrels. My ideal barrel would be a 14.7 carbine gas LW pinned with an A2 hider. I think a 6720 Colt barrel is the way I'll eventually go.

Feedback Score
    If your looking for it to be a dirt clot shooter I would recommend a 6 positions tube but if you want an accurate clone and not a looks similar then go with a 2 position tube. If your also looking at removing the anodization do the same method that actually made the real ones look like that, rub it on some stuff. Ex: gritty dirt, mud, copper scrub brush, military solvents, metal on metal contact. That is rough sounding but that is how the real ones got there current state of finish
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    I'm in the midst of an almost identical build and am in search of the same type barrel as you are. So far most of what I've found are LW mid-length gas barrels. My ideal barrel would be a 14.7 carbine gas LW pinned with an A2 hider. I think a 6720 Colt barrel is the way I'll eventually go.
    ADCO has a Daniel Defense 16" LW carbine barrel. You could buy it, have them cut it to 14.7, and pin an A2 all in one credit card transaction!

Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    If your also looking at removing the anodization do the same method that actually made the real ones look like that, rub it on some stuff. Ex: gritty dirt, mud, copper scrub brush, military solvents, metal on metal contact. That is rough sounding but that is how the real ones got there current state of finish
    I definitely have brass and steel wire brushes. Would those fit the bill? What about a scrubbing pad and some metal polish?

Feedback Score
    Yes any scrub brush works. I just feel that the copper ones are less damaging to critical specs. But make sure it is done with military solvent (that stuff can clean anything and ruin finish on guns (reason why I hate using it), which if your intention is to do that to make it look like a heavily used rifle then it will work perfectly)
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's my version. I'm calling it a 723 clone:

PM marked A1 upper with large round FA, arsenal refinished in black
    Colt fiberlite stock
    Stag A2 lower
    CAR handguards
    Still looking for a LW barrel

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If I'm understanding correctly at TOS, Brownell's is intending to release a 12.5" barrel for retro items they mentioned just prior to SHOT (along with NDS A1 uppers and lowers).

Just something to consider.

If you check the retro thread at TOS for a post by Brownell's titled Shot Show 2016 (it's a few pages deep) - video on page three of the thread and page four for a pic. Barrel is 12.7" but they mention a production delay. They also posted a pic of a repro moderator on the same page as the barrel. (Man hot linking would sure make this easier )
    Last edited by Scotter260; 02-12-16 at 08:39.
    "...forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

"I had no real need to remove it, but I like to check out things to see why they're so wonderful." - markm

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the intel! Here's a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/LAVTWVPn698

If Brownells is making a 12.7" barrel, then I might just have to monitor their site until it drops. There are also a couple of pictures on the aforementioned thread (on page 4, to be exact) which show the 12.7" barrel and their repro moderator.
    Last edited by Parachute Pants; 02-12-16 at 09:07.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    In that thread I requested they consider having a "retro" heading because it's a bear to try and track down the items they offer within that realm.

I'm hoping they'll give the request some consideration as it would definitely aid in one-stop shopping.
    "...forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

"I had no real need to remove it, but I like to check out things to see why they're so wonderful." - markm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In re-profiling a lower, you will incur a sizeable expense if you are going to have it re-anodized. That alone will cost nearly as much as a new NDS lower. Also, Brownells is starting to carry an A1 lower. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...22-174441.aspx

This is something you may want to consider. Additionally, since the receivers are black and not XM Gray, there is a little work into getting them to look worn and close to the gray shade. I did some work on an A2 upper and lower to lighten them up and look worn.

I used some fine grit sandpaper, super fine steel wool, a little oil, and a Scotch pad. I started by spraying it down with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and worked from there. It just take some time and patience. Have fun on your build. It looks like you are off to a good start. Here are pics of my XM177E2 I built a few years ago.

Last edited by Renegade04; 02-12-16 at 10:45.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast