Thread: Leupold on a Hunting 870

Feedback Score

Leupold on a Hunting 870

I am looking at putting a 1-4x on my 870 for hunting hogs and deer. I really like the Leupold VX-R Hog 1.25-4x, but I am not crazy about the reticle. I have heard that the VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x is the same scope, but with a different reticle and different turrets. I like the reticle more on the Patrol.

Do yall think that the Patrol would hold up on a shotgun as well as the Hog? I would assume that they would hold up the same amount of abuse, but you know what you do when you assume.

-Dave

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    What don't you like about the pigplex reticle in the Hog? I wouldn't worry about either holding up on a shotgun. A shotgun's recoil impulse is long and slow compared to a rifle. I wouldn't want exposed turrets on a hunting shotgun. Look at Leupold's site. They build the 1x4 VXR with 3-4 reticles. All are capped and cost 2/3rds less than the SPR Patrol.

Feedback Score
    The biggest thing to me is that the SPR reticle is less cluttered. It has a larger inner circle than the Hog Plex, which allows for a better view of the target/animal. Also, all of the VXR reticles have the thick posts. I personaly like the thinner SPR reticle better. The exposed turrets aren't an issue. I have never had an issue with any of my scopes with exposed turrets, both military and civilian, ever getting turned or broken.

I am just mainly making sure that the heavy recoil of 12ga slugs wouldn't bother the "Patrol" line of Leupold's scopes.

-Dave

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I agree with you about the SPR ret. Don't worry about the recoil hurting it. As I said before.. The recoil seems heavy to you but not the scope. Shotguns aren't hard on scopes.

Feedback Score
    Sounds great. Thanks for the help.

-Dave

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is your shotgun drilled and tapped for a scope mount? None of my several 870s are. You can buy a saddle mount that straddles the receiver and is secured by the same type pins(but threaded) that are used to retain the trigger group. I've tried these and found them to be an ABOMINATION. When tightened, the device compresses or forces the receiver walls inwards with the result that nothing works as designed.

I had great luck scoping a Mossberg 500 and found that the scope with its one plane dimension aided 65 yards and back slug shooting. Later I replaced the scope with a red dot which worked even better. Very quickly you will learn your shotgun's limitations in its new rifle role.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Don't know what the OP is using but the rifled cantilever mount barrels are the way to go if you're serious about hunting with slugs.

chiefkeff Guest
    get a nightforce nxs, recticle is superb

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Nightforce is going to be a lot more expensive than Leupold.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dm_graham308 View Post
    The biggest thing to me is that the SPR reticle is less cluttered. It has a larger inner circle than the Hog Plex, which allows for a better view of the target/animal. Also, all of the VXR reticles have the thick posts. I personaly like the thinner SPR reticle better. The exposed turrets aren't an issue. I have never had an issue with any of my scopes with exposed turrets, both military and civilian, ever getting turned or broken.

I am just mainly making sure that the heavy recoil of 12ga slugs wouldn't bother the "Patrol" line of Leupold's scopes.

-Dave
    Take a look at the Leupold Ultimate Slam. Great scope for a 12ga or a muzzle loader
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......