Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger RPR

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Where does it need to be? Someone just dicking around with long range is fine with it. For $1400, I would hesitate, but I've seen them for $850. For that price it's solid enough out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstalford View Post
    Where does it need to be? Someone just dicking around with long range is fine with it. For $1400, I would hesitate, but I've seen them for $850. For that price it's solid enough out of the box.
    I agree completely, at the $850 price point, that can be a lot of the supporting kit (magazines, match ammunition, sling, bipod) sorted out, or a step up in quality of glass/mount used with it.

I'm mostly waiting to see when like-minded people start listing their used ones - because I'd wind up throwing an aftermarket barrel, longer M-LOK handguard, supporessor-ready muzzle device, and in all likelihood some un-called for krylon before I was happy with it. Basically, I'd be trying to run it as a poor-man's AI, because I don't have a good enough justification to get something pricier and nicer.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    But it will never be an AI or Poor mans AI. Hell it won't ever be a WIN70 or Tikka.

People need to understand what it is, an entry level gun that will get replaced quickly if you decide to get into the sport/hobby. It's no different then dressing out a savage. It's throwing bad money after bad money that you will not be able to recoup.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus Pilum View Post
    But it will never be an AI or Poor mans AI. Hell it won't ever be a WIN70 or Tikka.

People need to understand what it is, an entry level gun that will get replaced quickly if you decide to get into the sport/hobby. It's no different then dressing out a savage. It's throwing bad money after bad money that you will not be able to recoup.
    Considering how limited my real need is for a rifle in that genre, all I'm after is something that can get me within p-value exclusion of 'close enough' performance to me running an AI - for my skill level on an UKD course of fire - (for which my ability is definitely the limitation in question here), and be able to mount the support equipment I want with it. Sure I'm dressing up a mid-range rifle with some arguably pointless tacticool garbage, and probably just taking it to square ranges to suck with - but the 6.5CM RPR and 30cal can and some decent glass I already have around means I can be into the hobby with equipment that outstrips my ability really quite comprehensively as soon as I've found a loading that works well with that barrel. To get to where I can out-shoot that package, I'd have spent triple the value of the rifle shooting out that barrel anyway, at which point I'm clearly going to move up to a higher end offering, but the real odds of that happening are not great.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    Considering how limited my real need is for a rifle in that genre, all I'm after is something that can get me within p-value exclusion of 'close enough' performance to me running an AI - for my skill level on an UKD course of fire - (for which my ability is definitely the limitation in question here), and be able to mount the support equipment I want with it. Sure I'm dressing up a mid-range rifle with some arguably pointless tacticool garbage, and probably just taking it to square ranges to suck with - but the 6.5CM RPR and 30cal can and some decent glass I already have around means I can be into the hobby with equipment that outstrips my ability really quite comprehensively as soon as I've found a loading that works well with that barrel. To get to where I can out-shoot that package, I'd have spent triple the value of the rifle shooting out that barrel anyway, at which point I'm clearly going to move up to a higher end offering, but the real odds of that happening are not great.
    Recently picked up an RPR myself and had almost the same line of thought. How many situations in life would a guy at my skill level actually NEED something like an AI vs. an offering like an RPR? Couldn't think of any.

I've only put about 45 rounds through mine so far but for a sub $950 rifle, with my limited skill set I was able to put down several sub moa groupings.

What's exciting about that is now I've picked up on a whole other subset of the shooting hobby, precision shooting.

If I still enjoy precision shooting as much as I do now as when I've surpassed what the RPR is able to offer, I could see upgrading to something else.

Otherwise I think it's a fine offering for getting people into another subset of the shooting sports at a price point more realistic for your average shooter.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    RPR is good to go. Factory 140 eld-M ammo banging steel at 1k easily today. I wasn't shooting but in a training class and he was dead on all the way out. He's running a PST 6x24 FFP. His mil reading was 8.6 up I believe. My criterion was running 8.1 mil and a Krrieger was running 7.6 mil. All running same ammo and optics. Just barrels run differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Got an opportunity to setup my RPR and sight it in over the weekend.

Have to say I'm impressed with the rifle so far.

The white circle is two inches across.

Ammo is 175 FGMM

Full disclosure, I'm not that good at this either.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Primus can be a bit abrasive, but considering I did exactly what he is describing I can't disagree with him.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The Ruger rifle is a great way to get into the game of long range shooting. Getting a custom gun will only yield a small bit more accuracy for 3x's the cost. If your load development is good, it can be identical. The performance of the RPR is outstanding for its price.

If your going to purchase one, get the 6.5 creed. It will out perform the 308 all day long in every way.Your not going to shoot 2 inch groups with the 308 at 500 or even longer ranges. I consider it a learner rig, which can teach you lots of skills in both shooting and reloading without going custom from the start. I like this rifle getting more people into long range shooting. For a budget/entry gun, its fits the bill perfectly. Not everyone will buy a custom to shoot with.

Graham, nice group for your first outing with it.

This is not my gun or target, but this was shot with a 6.5 creed RPR on hand loads @ 587 yards 10 mph crosswind. It was this guys first prs match, which he won against 308, 6x47, 6.5x47 guns. One was even a Defiance with S&B on it.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I'm totally getting one of these when one is in stock and not overpriced or a scam.
    I have no requirement for a 6.5 bolt gun other than PRS, so a low cost entry rifle is what I'm looking for.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast