Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me get started

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Help me get started

I have an idea in my head on building my first .308 distance rifle.
    Ive been hunting long range for ages growing up in Montana Ive taken some really long shots but never got into taking more than that first cold bore shot to drop dinner.

I want to get a rem 700 and add magpuls stock to it.

Im seeing the SPS line with threaded barrels for about 630 in hand.
    magpul stock for 250

Will this get me started along the right line or should I go another route?

I would get a higher end setup but by the time i learn what im doing ill probably be needing a better barrel so i figured burn up the cheap one first.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Do you have a suppressor?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    yes. well its in NFA jail

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Short answer: A Timney 510, a Magpul stock, and a 20" TB Rem700 assuming it shoots well will suit you nicely. Your biggest investment at this point needs to be in glass.

Longer answer: I had very bad luck with the factory threaded Rem700s, but the 20" model seems to have decent luck. If you want to shoot far (more than 800 yards) I would get a 24" tube if going .308. I went 20" and I really struggle to get to 1000 yards. On the other hand, like you, I am shooting suppressed and I did not want to be in the field with a 24" tube and an 8" suppressor hanging off the end.
    However, if you really want to get into this and you've got the distance to shoot far I would build something custom from the get go. You can have a custom 308 gun built on a surgeon action for ~$2,000 and it will embarrass factory Remingtons.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    we have a 500 yard gong at our range but its very difficult to get past that near me in georgia. My buddy has a mcmillian and its a sweet shooting rifle just ways 15lbs

my buddy who is the main driving factor here suggest getting a fixed 10 to start from sfwa as a good entry glass.

I saw the Remington 84159 which is a medium taper bull barrel 20in threaded. its a bit cheaper than the hogue stocked guns as the one on its junk. worth a shit or should i spring for the heavy bull barrel?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I had very bad luck with the factory threaded Rem700s
    all my hunting rifles are win70 actions. Love them but there is crap aftermarket support for them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Current Rem 700's, unless you spend the $ for something like the Sendero, are nowhere near what the older Rem 700s are, in terms of quality. Euro has a pretty straight forward thread about his experience in this regard. They are not bad, I want to make that clear, but the quality control at Remington is not what it once was.

The Magpul stock is a fantastic piece of equipment at its price.

Your plan sounds like a good starting point for building a precision rifle. The 700 takes the cake in terms of aftermarket parts. Euro is right, get the trigger and good glass of your choice.

Then shoot the shit out of it. You may find that it is all you need.

Or like most of us you will re-barrel it, or get a custom action barreled, or some other money burning monstrosity that puts a shit eating grin on your face every time you pull the trigger.

Either way, have fun and get someone with some LR experience to help you get started, what you save in ammo will likely pay for your first re-barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Indy View Post
    all my hunting rifles are win70 actions. Love them but there is crap aftermarket support for them.
    Not really. No need to gucci **** a M70 as most of the shit people throw on there is useless anyway.

M70 is in every way shame or form a better base to build a rifle with.

Can use any barrel blank, so remington is no advantage.

Has a fantastic stock trigger, does not need an upgrade like remington. Although there are options.

Stock wise, you can get Manners & McMillian stocks made. Remington has the edge with chassis, but the XLR works with the M70 and you can pick up CHEAP short action FN/Win McMillian stocks. My last A3 cost $150.

What else do you need? Is going to be truer from the factory, has 3 pos saftey, has real internal recoil lug and can use FN TBM without modification.

So if cheap garbage stocks and accessories are your thing, then the 700 wins. If you want to use good parts and have something to hand down one day, the M70 is a great base action.

My next build is a M70 in 6.5CM in a Mcmillian A3 with loggerhead, Proof Research Barrel, FN TBM systems, OPS titanium rail fully trued & cerekoted and the total cost will be under $2500. You couldn't touch a custom remington like this for much under $4K. And the Winchester is STILL a much better action and will hold its value.

PM me if you want details on how to do similar.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    2500 is alot higher than my skill or budget. 1k max

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Indy View Post
    2500 is alot higher than my skill or budget. 1k max
    Used FN SPR or look for a winchester Stealth in .308

Both use pre-64 "classic: CRF actions and will shoot sub moa with factory match ammo. Buying a Remington is like playing keno, only worse odds.

Build it up as you go along.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast