Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me get started

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'd be interested in a parts list for a $2000ish gun where the action alone is about $1200....

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Short answer: A Timney 510, a Magpul stock, and a 20" TB Rem700 assuming it shoots well will suit you nicely. Your biggest investment at this point needs to be in glass.

Longer answer: I had very bad luck with the factory threaded Rem700s, but the 20" model seems to have decent luck. If you want to shoot far (more than 800 yards) I would get a 24" tube if going .308. I went 20" and I really struggle to get to 1000 yards. On the other hand, like you, I am shooting suppressed and I did not want to be in the field with a 24" tube and an 8" suppressor hanging off the end.
    However, if you really want to get into this and you've got the distance to shoot far I would build something custom from the get go. You can have a custom 308 gun built on a surgeon action for ~$2,000 and it will embarrass factory Remingtons.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    what do i need to look for in an optic? i dont have grands to spend on a name brand and for my skill level im sure there is a sub 500 dollar optic that will let me get learning holds and mil work. im leaning towards a mil mil scope as it seems to make more sense.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I'd be interested in a parts list for a $2000ish gun where the action alone is about $1200....
    I fat fingered that. I meant $3k.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Indy View Post
    what do i need to look for in an optic? i dont have grands to spend on a name brand and for my skill level im sure there is a sub 500 dollar optic that will let me get learning holds and mil work. im leaning towards a mil mil scope as it seems to make more sense.
    Everything being equal, you want your glass to "outshoot" your rifle. If you're only shooting at a 500 yard gong and have a strict budget, then the fixed 10x SWFA SS or something of that sort will be very good for you.

For what it's worth, I began precision shooting in Hawaii. I had a Rem 700 PSS with a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x. in $20 Weaver rings and a $40 EGW base. Kokohead range has a small-ish gong at 440 yards and it got pretty boring to hit that thing even in those crazy winds (The 26" barrel helped). So it can certainly be done on a budget, but that rifle would never win any sort of competition and I almost never achieved hits at 440 without a sighter due to the adjustments being slightly off.

The problem is if you begin really cheap and want to upgrade, and you will, you'll basically be throwing money away buying Walmart grade junk and have to start all over. Ask me how I know.

Primus and Masan both know more than I (Masan actually taught me everything I know ) but if I were doing it on a hardcore budget I would get

This scope: http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactic...cope-P499.aspx
    This base: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/173...t-action-matte
    These rings: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/108...le-rings-matte
    This rifle: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+LTR+.308+700P

That is about as inexpensive as I would go, and I would pray to the Heavenly Father that you didn't get a lemon 700. Given that it's a 700P, you might be in better shape than a rack-grade AAC-SD or something. What that does is give you a platform that you can build up on. If in a few years you find yourself really enjoying precision shooting, you can get the action trued, throw a better scope in the same rings on the same base, have a Krieger installed, drop it in a chassis, get a custom bolt knob and new bottom metal.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-23-16 at 08:47.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This rifle: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+LTR+.308+700P

That is about as inexpensive as I would go, and I would pray to the Heavenly Father that you didn't get a lemon 700. Given that it's a 700P, you might be in better shape than a rack-grade AAC-SD or something. What that does is give you a platform that you can build up on. If in a few years you find yourself really enjoying precision shooting, you can get the action trued, throw a better scope in the same rings on the same base, have a Krieger installed, drop it in a chassis, get a custom bolt knob and new bottom metal.
    Loud and clear on the scope stuff and where i was leaning to begin with actually. the rifle is the issue here.

im looking and trying to justify the 1k price tag which is what i have for an entire rifle. is that stock worth a shit? its fluted but non threaded. How much is it to get a barrel threaded? is that something that the whole rifle has to come apart for?

and at 1k I can get a ruger precision rifle. where does that stand by comparison?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    The RPR is right up your alley, no doubt. If you can swing it, all you'd need are the rings and scope and you'd be good. I have no experience with them, but from what I've read they appear to be a good intro rifle.

The problem comes later when you want to start shooting 8" Gongs at 1000 yards and the Ruger Hammer Forged barrel won't do it. Maybe by then they will have custom barrel makers producing them.

Threading runs around $150.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For Optics, you could always look into the fixed power SWFA, though i would gravitate towards a second focal plane Vortex like this:

http://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-vipe...t-416s1-m.aspx

edit* that is just one example of the rough price for a 2nd FP Vortex Viper PST, pick you poison as far as mil, moa as you said

Variable power, well regarded here, top notch customer service if you do have an issue.

There are a lot of non Rem 700 options you can pursue. The Ruger Precision Rifle has been well received, there are lots of threads here in that regard. I would throw the Tikka T3 CTR out there as another possible choice for you in the $1000 price range:

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-ctr-rifles.aspx

Here is one of the threads here about it (worth a read for sure):

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-260-Remington

In my opinion it is better out of the box that the Rem 700's in that price range.

I probably should mention that I am in no way associated with Eurooptic, I just reference them because I knew they carried both products I mentioned. Shop around for best prices obviously.
    Last edited by masan; 02-23-16 at 09:40.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Now that I think about it, that is a really good price for that scope... usually around $700 if memory serves. My wallet hates me sometimes.

Still not associated with eurooptics.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    CTR is a good looking rifle. Im a fan of the tikka action for sure. question is if the factory stock is worth a damn. i know the hogue is world class crap which is why i was just going to swap it for the magpul on the Rem 700.

Feedback Score
    The RPR is right up your alley, no doubt. If you can swing it, all you'd need are the rings and scope and you'd be good. I have no experience with them, but from what I've read they appear to be a good intro rifle.

The problem comes later when you want to start shooting 8" Gongs at 1000 yards and the Ruger Hammer Forged barrel won't do it. Maybe by then they will have custom barrel makers producing them.

Threading runs around $150.
    Most of the top dogs are already making drop in RPR barrels.

Trying to chase every dollar is going to result in a gun that never gets shot. People need to be honest how much this spoty/hobby costs so they have clear expectations going in.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast